Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mulgrave600
    replied
    Some of the benefits of mobile technology might not be as exciting to you guys in the US because your MDT capacity is far greater than ours but nationally Australian police forces are starting to stumble into the 21st century.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkhVNpETPU8

Queensland are currently considered the ones to follow in this regard. They have about 2850 iPads/iPhones issued in a police force of just under 12 000 members and the members that have the devices are saving an average of 30 minutes a shift. They are able to serve things like tickets and banning notices by email or text message, collect evidence and store it in the field.

The potential for streamlining procedures is huge and I'm looking forward to the technology finally making it down to my neck of the woods.

Leave a comment:

• Rudy8116
    replied
    They just released an Android based keyboard phone. I think it's the Keyone. Supposed to be a bad*** phone.

Leave a comment:

• J2H
    replied
    That's what I have, the PRIV, couldn't recall the name of it.

Leave a comment:

• Rudy8116
    replied
    Originally posted by J2H View Post
    I have an Android Blackberry, pretty cool phone
    LOVE Blackberry. My PRIV is a great phone, and you can't beat Blackberry security.

Leave a comment:

• swat_op506
    replied
    My work phone is a Galaxy S-5. My personal is an iPhone 7.
    The only thing I use the Galaxy for is crime scene photos when not needing a real CS Photographer. Period. Mine sits in my truck on the passenger seat.
    I tried to like it, but iOS is soooooo much easier and friendlier. The Android platform will constantly try to integrate anything "Google" that you may use- pulling personal things like gmail into it's web if you are not careful - not cool with a LE work phone. Might as well use my iPhone....

Oh, they also gave us Nexus tablets to file reports in the field. What a joke- also on an Android platform.

Leave a comment:

• J2H
    replied
    I have an Android Blackberry, pretty cool phone

Leave a comment:

• Dedede123
    replied
    Our department has a single flip phone we all share...So there's that.

I've heard of a department in England that just bought a bunch of windows phones.

Android forever. Even Android blackberry wouldn't be bad.

Leave a comment:

• IAM Rand
    replied
    They have tried to use the Microsoft tablet but, it has been a big fail. We have been sending them back to get fixed more than anyone has been able to use them. I have my person iPad 2 and have had 0 problems. I bought a keypad case for it and works like a charm.

Anyone have any good iOS apps they use?

Leave a comment:

• Mulgrave600
    replied
    We're looking at rolling out some sort of personal tablet device over the next few years. The expanded possibilities they have to streamline our work is enormous.

We have MDTs in the car but they don't have anywhere near thr functionality of the ones I've seen in the US. We can't do reports on them and tickets are still handwritten.

If I had an iPad and could do some or all of the following I would be a very happy man:

Check names/warrants/photos
    Capture and store photos
    Facial recognition
    Video/audio record interviews
    Write reports
    Take statements and sign them electronically
    Scan fingerprints
    Issue tickets
    Use email
    Sketch collisions

Leave a comment:

• tanksoldier
    replied
    iPhone is still the best thing going, IMO.

I have an iPhone for my personal cell and a Samsung POS for my work phone. All I use the Samsung for is voicemail from and calls to the public. It literally sits in my car 24/7. I don't even bother to carry it around.

It's a piece of crap... even after my tech wizard wife optimized it as best she could, it still sucks.

Oh, I have used the voice recorder on it. That works pretty well but getting the recording off the phone and onto CD for evidence was a PITA.

Our newest road deputy, call sign "Sheriff Last", got an iPhone as her county phone when she graduated FTO. Color me jealous. In fairness, she thought to ask for one.
    Last edited by tanksoldier; 10-24-2016, 04:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Signal_twenty
    replied
    I'm resurrecting an older thread, but then again, you're reading an old thread. I just wanted to throw my .02 in here, so...

My agency has had iPhones for several years now, and before that we had Nextel (lol). The iPhone is far superior, and I've said it from the beginning - we don't even issue cameras for patrol anymore, since we can take photos (for a battery case, etc.) and then send it by email to records and evidence right from the field.

Another idea that not a lot of people are using is that you can take a photo(s) when you F/I a person. That way, you have an accurate record of the person's description and you can add more detail when you write that up later. You can also photograph the subject's vehicle/bicycle, which notes the color/style of the bike.

Another thing that I think a lot of people overlook is that on the iPhone as opposed to a basic camera, the iPhone's photo will give you a time & date as well as GPS coordinates, which is also handy if you aren't able to get around to writing it up until later in the shift when you've forgotten a lot of the details.

Leave a comment:

• rocco61
    replied
    The Agency I work for used blackberries for a long time, when local management pushed to go to Iphone's our information security office , wouldn't go for it, they called it an enterprise security nightmare. the blackberry platform is much more secure that apple. We eventually moved to apple after the costs associated with the blackberry server got to be too high. we are still having issues managing Iphones but it seems to be working. Talk to your I.T. department.

Leave a comment:

• IAM Rand
    replied
    work supplies our iPhone4. Kinda cheap and don't even get the 4S. We are going to start to use it for recording our in the field interviews. I would prefer an iPad 2. I have a program called Capture Notes. Does everything. Records and you can hand write notes. You can attach a virtual sticky matching up your recording with your notes. Just awesome. A local agency has the iPads and they have entire case reports on them. They use them on the stand in court in case they have to refresh their memories. I suppose you could do it with any tablet, then the Apple stock wouldn't go up. Buy people buy.

Leave a comment:

• So Fla Cop
    replied
    This will hold your iPhone. It has a clip that will fit your duty belt.
    http://www.niteize.com/product/Clip-Case-Cargo-Tall.asp

That is what I use.

Leave a comment:

• exalted
    replied
    I have seen police officers using iPhone and iPad during works. Not only these devices are easier to use, there are many apps in the Appstore providing applications that can help police officers work more efficient.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9520 users online. 404 members and 9116 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X