300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kenosha PD

I see Kenosha PD is accepting applications.

Anyone have any insight into the department? I.E.- how the test is, interviews, etc.

Also, as I downloaded the application, I noticed on the background information sheet they ask for names and addresses of people who you've resided with over the past 10 years, including college roommates. Personally, I have no clue where my college roommates all ended up and I'm lucky if I remember their names. Any suggestions on how to go about filling that part out if I really cannot get that information??

I tested before I'm testing again when they have their next date (not sure when though). They get 700-1k for the written by interveiws it was 10% of that then 10% of that for the next round of interviews then background. And there is a Fitness test on the day of the written.

Comment

Holy balls that's a lot of people.
      how was the written?

Comment

Do a search, i seem to recall a very similiar thread about KPD about 3-5 months ago last time they posted.
        Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

Kenosha has a bit of turnover, so they do alot of hiring. Many officers are jumping ship right now. Just keep that in mind. Try to talk to a KPD officer if you can.
          Good traffic rule of thumb - Broke down people, drive broke down cars.

Comment

Kenosha PD info

Kenosha PD Officer here:

First, sorry for the long post, but I wanted to provide some basic info and my opinion of KPD. I've been on the job for over 10 years and am not in administration...

KPD is a good department to work for. The benefits and wages allow for a comfortable living, especially in the more expensive S.E. part of Wisconsin. There is a liberal residency requirement which encompases several counties, but not Illinois. Retirement is through the Wisconsin Retirement System which is in the top 10 of the nation and is 100% paid by the City. In other words the City is contributing to your WRS retirement by paying their 1/2 and your 1/2. In addition you can participate in a deferred compensation program (the public employee version of a 401k) to supplement the WRS retirement.
            There are educational incentives, shift differentials, and other incentives.

The Department is about 180 sworn for a population of about 90,000 with promotional opportunities including Sergeant on up as well a Street Crimes Unit, Motorcycle unit and various responsibilities such as accident investigator, evidence technician etc.

I am not aware of "many" people jumping ship for reasons other than to move back closer to family. (No disrespect meant Depco164) While no department is perfect, I feel that KPD is a good department to work for and can provide you a good, long career and the overall atmosphere is pretty relaxed. You're expected to do your job, but you're not underneath the microscope at every turn.

Moreover the area is nice to live in as you are only an hour from Chicago and 30 minutes from downtown Milwaukee. There's plenty to do in and out of town but yet you don't have to put up with grid lock traffic day in and out. The City and area in general are growing.

For more information go to: http://www.kenoshapolice.com/employment.htm
            or
            https://wilenet.org/html/employment/...ortunities.jsp

If you are looking for a mid-size department that has good oportunities for a career minded officer in a busy department with diverse calls for service, then KPD is a good place to go.

As for the testing, there is a written, physical abilities test and interivew processes, but I can't speak intelligently about them so I'm not much help there. The department allows ride alongs if you so choose. Hope this helps.
            He who makes no mistakes, usually makes nothing at all.

Comment

No offense taken Ray55

I've simply heard things through the grapevine. Perhaps my information was overblown, overstated, or simply incorrect.
              Good traffic rule of thumb - Broke down people, drive broke down cars.

Comment

I've been at quite a bit of training with officers from KPD in the last year or so. All of them have been capable and good guys. None of them had any major b!tche$ about their job which was good to hear. They've all talked about their somewhat high call volume and good activity. Having said that, most of the guys were Street Crimes guys.
                Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

Originally posted by Unsworn View Post
                  I tested before I'm testing again when they have their next date (not sure when though). They get 700-1k for the written by interveiws it was 10% of that then 10% of that for the next round of interviews then background. And there is a Fitness test on the day of the written.

What happened in your last test from '06? I saw you were down for orals.

Comment

Originally posted by aftermath View Post
                    What happened in your last test from '06? I saw you were down for orals.
                    Missed passing Orals by all of 4% then 2 weeks after the interview did my first ever ride along (and did so with KPD) found out the score the next week. If it's something you really want I would reccomend the ride along and taking the time to talk to several officers. I got to get a few different points of view about the department that night and am very interested in going through the process again. I'm currently working in a civilian capcity at another department so I can afford to be selective, KPD is one of a handful of agency I am seeking out.

As for the written I didn't find it to be too difficult, most of it was situational based/practical information, I felt it was more important to show up mentally alert than anything else.

Comment

Yeah, I passed on taking the test last time, but I'll be there time time around. I'd rather go to Wisconsin than remain in Illinois.

Comment

I was born and raised in Kenosha and worked closely as an explorer with the department for 13 years. I chose to leave Kenosha and to get a different taste. When I first knew the department as a young teenager interested in law enforcement, it was not really a great department. But in the time I've been around it, a lot of the issues that lurked seemed to have disappeared and its becoming a younger department with many good officers. It does have some black marks but its just an occasional bad apple (all departments get them). I'd never work there but I do suggest it as a great department to start out and maybe even stay and retire at. They are getting a new Chief by the end of the year and I know 2 of the candidates personally, both great people. Overall, things are getting better for the department and the area is growing like a weed. In 1990 it was 77K population. Now it's 95K plus and approaching 100K quickly.

Worth the effort and energy to apply for. I know at the beginning of the year they wanted to hire 12 this year alone. I believe they've already hired 4-6.
                        Discretion is the better part of valor.

I'd rather be known as a really good witness, than as a really dead hero.

Its always something. You never know what, but there is always more to the story.

Comment

I applied to Kenosha PD. I hear its a great department. The written is going to be either the 18th or 25th of August along with the Physical. They are hiring 10-12 new officers- thats an outstanding amount, im hoping that increases my chances. The only problem is that i wont be available until April...they say apply early! Wish me luck-
                          Smile and Wait for Flash

Comment

i will be sending my application out on Monday. I heard it was a good department as well. Good luck to all who will be testing.

Comment

August 25th

Ill be with you guys "writin n' runnin" on the 25th.

Good luck to everyone. The Kenosha PD looks like a pretty decent dept.
                              Milwaukee PD

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4838 users online. 243 members and 4595 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X