300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UW Madison PD

I see that the UWPD is hiring...can anyone give me any pros/cons of this department? Do they have a good rep? Would it be a good opportunity?

I know several UWPD officers and they seem to like their jobs. They are a decent department (probably the best of the UW schools) as they have the most money for training and gear. They have to deal with mainly students... that could be a pro or con. They aren't payed as well as some other local departments. They get to work in Madison (a beautiful city). They have jurisdiction throughout Dane Co. They have a decent amout of opportunities for officers to get involved in other programs (i.e. canine, events planning, community/neighborhood officers,biking). It's a pretty good department from what I can tell, the only thing that would bother me slightly is that while UWPD's chief is in control, she still reports to the Chancellor of UW... this means he often has some say in what the PD does. I know sometimes politics and image issues can play more of a role in the PD than I would like.

Just my two cents, perhaps someone who works there/has worked there can offer more insight.
    -J

Comment

I've got a handful of pretty good friends working for UWPD and I work for them every year at Badger games and have for a handful of years now. I would definatley consider them one of, if not the, best campus PD in the country. They have a pretty wide variety of special units and opportunities to get involved in stuff. Their pay isn't so great starting, but you would be looking at HUGE OT opportunities, if you want them, at some very sweet events (football, basketball, volleyball, softball, campus parties, speaches, concerts, etc.). They also work a really nice shift (4x10's), pretty rare around here. They provide everything for new hires and issue pretty good gear.

As far as negatives go, the chief certainly seems pretty liberal as can be expected on that campus. You have to understand about the liberalism in Madison to begin with, and then remember that its even more extreme on the UW campus. Also, school politics will play a big deal in how you do your job. Don't expect to ever get a conviction on a football player for anything short of homicide.

Having said all of that, I'm pretty picky about where I work or would work. If UW wasn't so darn liberal, I'd be all over working for UWPD.

Oh yeah, they do a continual recruitment and screen apps one tuesday every month.
      Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

Thank you very much for your replies.

Comment

Does anyone know what the physical agility test is for UW PD?

Comment

Originally posted by WIpo-po View Post
            Does anyone know what the physical agility test is for UW PD?
            I don't recall them having one. but if they do, I'd bet its a CPAT as that seems to be pretty standard in this area.
            Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3938 users online. 212 members and 3726 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X