300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MN cop, live in WI

I'm curious where I can find WI off-duty carry laws. I'm a MN cop who lives in WI, I'm wondering if I am able to carry in WI and what I need to do.

HR 213 is a bill that was passed a few years back that allows all active law enforcement officers to carry off-duty anywhere in the U.S. As long as you carry your badge and dept ID you should not have problem anywhere. I live in southeastern WI and continuely carry off-duty when I go to IL (ie Chicago).

Comment

Its HR218...and provided you're a full time LEO NOT part time, you're good to go. However, i suggest you read the bill just to be clear on it. I'd check with MN POST, they've probably written a primer on the bill that would guide you in the right direction.
      Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

Cool, i'll look into it. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by jeeper View Post
          Its HR218...and provided you're a full time LEO NOT part time, you're good to go. However, i suggest you read the bill just to be clear on it. I'd check with MN POST, they've probably written a primer on the bill that would guide you in the right direction.
          Incorrect part time or full time may carry anywhere in the country (some exceptions like court houses and federal property) If you are a police officer that has statutory police power then you qualify.
          Happy to be here proud to serve

"Well it appears this lock does not accept american express."

Never trust fire fighters to point out a suspect.

Comment

If you are worried about getting arrested, contact the Sheriff, Police Chief or District Attorney in the county / city in which you live and get a take from them. As I understand it, Wisconsin has not adopted HR218 provisions or it's left up the individual county...it's been awhile since I've read up on this. I'll do some research and if it's any different, I'll re-post.

The specific WI Statute is 941.23

The link below will help you research the specific language, but the underlying issue would be are you a peace officer in the eyes of Wisconsin law as you are a MN Peace Officer? Or you could just get a part-time cop job in Wisconsin and that would resolve it -

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/stats.html

Try this link too...

https://wilenet.org/html/hr218/index.htm
            He who makes no mistakes, usually makes nothing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ray55 View Post
              As I understand it, Wisconsin has not adopted HR218 provisions or it's left up the individual county...
              Although Wisconsin fought implementation of HR218, it doesn't have a choice but to honor its provisions. The only part of HR218 it hasn't adopted have to do with retired concealed carry. That they've pushed off on individual agencies to work out.

The specific WI Statute is 941.23

The link below will help you research the specific language, but the underlying issue would be are you a peace officer in the eyes of Wisconsin law as you are a MN Peace Officer?
              No. A MN peace officer is not covered by the language of WS 941.23. In fact, it has been (pre-HR218 days) interpreted it to mean that even ON-DUTY out-of-state officers cannot carry concealed in Wisconsin.

You can carry you side-arm off duty in Wisconsin under HR218 provisions if: your agency allows for off duty carry, you have proper identification, are not subject to any active disciplinary issues, and are current with qualification standards for your department. Off duty arrest powers would be that of any regular citizen, not as an officer.
              Originally posted by kontemplerande
              Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

SRT: Thanks for bringing me up to speed. I guess I never really worried about the CCW laws as much as I went by better judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Stay safe!
                He who makes no mistakes, usually makes nothing at all.

Comment

i went to new york city a couple years ago when i was still part time, i did not have a problem carring my sidearm there, in fact i had a nice conversation with the guy from the US park police when i was at the statue of liberty...
                  In God we trust... All others check NCIC...

Shop smart... Shop "S" mart!

Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5286 users online. 301 members and 4985 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X