Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Town of Madison Police Department is hiring!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Town of Madison Police Department is hiring!

Just as a heads up for those of you looking for a job. The Town of Madison Police Department is hiring. Population of about 6,200 with 18 sworn officers. Expect to be busy. The department is one of the most active with criminal calls for service. You would probably learn a lot. They also have one of the highest per officer training budgets in the county.

They have a lot of information on their recruitment website page, including information about the boarder agreement with the cities of Madison and Fitchburg.

Here are some links of interest for the police department.

http://www.town.madison.wi.us/police...ecruitment.htm
    http://www.officer.com/jobs/detail.jsp?id=3866
    http://forums.officer.com/forums/sea...earchid=615759
    http://oja.state.wi.us/category.asp?...709&locid=97#M

Please don't advertise jobs I'm applying for - I need all the help I can get!

Good to hear, so far it looks great.
    For every one hundred men you send us,
    Ten should not even be here.
    Eighty are nothing but targets.
    Nine of them are real fighters;
    We are lucky to have them, they the battle make.
    Ah, but the one. One of them is a warrior.
    And he will bring the others back.

Comment

Just make sure you take note of the layoff clause in their union contract and also the boarder agreement and impending dissolution of the Township. Cops will NOT be guaranteed cop jobs when they have to go to Madison or Fitchburg in around 2020.

And, like WICop said, when they say "busy urban environment", they REALLY mean it.
      Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

If any of you guys have questions, pm me. I am one of the three officers leaving the department. It is just a coincidence that three people are moving on at one time.
        Last edited by mfroseth; 04-27-2007, 04:45 AM.

Comment

I was riding-along with a MPD officer and on several occasions (in one night) we backed up Town of Madison officers. They were buuuuusy! We ended up rushing to some sort of assualt-in-progress because their officers were already tied up at other locations. I know they certainly help out MPD as well.

I met several officers from the department and was impressed by how professional they were (especially for being a smaller department).

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Petergriffin View Post
            I met several officers from the department and was impressed by how professional they were (especially for being a smaller department).

You must not have talked to them too long.

In all seriousness, if you want to rock and roll and work with a bunch of really good guys, apply for the Town. One officer there makes over 100k a year due to all of his overtime.

Mfroseth, who is leaving besides you? I haven't heard.
            "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Comment

Originally posted by Badgerland View Post
              You must not have talked to them too long.

In all seriousness, if you want to rock and roll and work with a bunch of really good guys, apply for the Town. One officer there makes over 100k a year due to all of his overtime.

Mfroseth, who is leaving besides you? I haven't heard.
              I've heard Horse and Retlick. VEPD Sgt and MPD respectively.

Froseth, true?
              Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

Wow, I'm surprised Horse is leaving, especially for the agency you mentioned. They are busy, but about 1/10th as busy as the Town. I'll seek him out tonight if he is working.
                "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Comment

wow, only hiring ONE, and no physical test!? am i seeing riight?

if so, is it worth it? DO I have a good chance? I have 2.5 years of reserve experience, a bachelor's degree, numerous LEO certifications and specialty training courses, and an EMT certification....
                  Last edited by bigpoppaproppy; 05-16-2007, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigpoppaproppy View Post
                    wow, only hiring ONE, and no physical test!? am i seeing riight?

if so, is it worth it? DO I have a good chance? I have 2.5 years of reserve experience, a bachelor's degree, numerous LEO certifications and specialty training courses, and an EMT certification....

Bigpoppaproppy:
                    I am Chief Scott Gregory with the Town of Madison Police Department. We currently have two vacancies, with a third vacancy expected in early June. If you have attended your state police academy and are currently or were recently a sworn law enforcement officer I would encourage you to apply.

As has been said earlier in this thread we are a very busy police department. For example, if you look at Table 2: Offense Rates Per 100,000 Residents for Index Offenses, 2005 (latest available on the internet) you will notice the Town’s index rate is fairly high.
                    Town of Madison:Total Index: 6,446, Total Violent: 783, Total Property: 5,663
                    City of Madison: Total Index: 3,897 Total Violent: 378, Total Property: 3,519
                    Milwaukee: Total Index: 7,371Total Violent: 1,053, Total Property: 6,318
                    Green Bay: Total Index: 3,307 Total Violent: 479, Total Property: 2,828
                    City of Beloit: Total Index: 5,592 Total Violent: 413, Total Property: 5,179
                    (Information obtained from http://oja.state.wi.us/docview.asp?docid=3671&locid=97.)

The only other WI departments with a higher Total Violent Index (in 2005) are Siren PD (1,303), and Mauston PD (793). Don’t take this information wrong. I am only trying to reiterate that we are a busy department and you will work while you are here. I believe our Total Index has dropped since 2005 and we are working hard to reduce our crime rate and trying and developing new and innovated tactics to reduce the crime rate. Unfortunately I do not have our current UCR information at my fingertips and don’t want to provide statistics that I am not 100% confident in.

We also have a well-funded training budget. The Town Board realizes that their police officers must be trained well and provide the funding for us to be able to provide the needed services as efficiently as we are able. Take a look at our monthly reports, we report each month the training and number of hours our staff attended each month (http://www.town.madison.wi.us/police...ice&kind=info).

We do not have a physical agility test as part of our hiring process. We will be conducting our written test on Tuesday, June 19 in the morning at the Alliant Energy Center (the AEC is in the Town). We will score the test on site. For those that pass the written exam we will provide applicants with a date and time for their first interview (we have a total of three interviews during our hiring process). The interview will be either the same day as the test for those with a longer drive (between 12:00 pm and 8:00 pm) or June 20 or 21 between 11:00 am and 8:00 pm. The applicants that pass the test will be given an interview date/time prior to leaving the AEC.

This is the first time we are using this process (test and interview on the same date or within days of each other). We are trying to cut the time our hiring process takes by 30-45 days.

Of course I can’t answer your question “Do I have a good chance?” Apply by May 25 with application and resume, come take the test, interview and schedule a ride along. It is just as important that you “interview” the department to determine if you want to work here as well.

If you have further questions feel free to contact me at 608-210-7226 (direct line) or via email at [email protected].

Chief Scott T. Gregory
                    Town of Madison Police Department

Comment

wow, thank you very much for the in depth reply! I never imagined getting one from the Chief, I was simply looking for basic insight..I'm quite impressed to be honest!

I'm going to talk it over with my fiancee this weekend, but it sounds promising.
                      Thanks again for the time, I'll be in touch!

Comment

so who all applied??

Comment

You would be correct Jeeper. Horse is going to Verona and Retlick to MPD.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5453 users online. 304 members and 5149 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X