300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Madison Police Education

i have an associates degree and went to the police academy at MATC. Will this be enough to get me hired, or should I go for my bachelors?

Could you get hired with only having an associates? Yes, but I remember a while back looking at the hiring list of the officers that were hired by the department last year in 2017. The department shared the level of education and prior career experience they had prior to joining MPD. I wanna say of the 35 or so that were hired only 3-4 had associates, the rest having bachelors, masters, if I remember right there was even a JD or 2 in there as well. MPD has super high standards for the officers that they hire, as they should for a department that is as nationally recognized and respected as MPD is. Since you have the academy in the bag already I'd suggest trying to get on with a smaller department in the Dane County area, get your foot in the door, start making connections, and try to knock some college courses out online in the meanwhile to try and finish off your bachelors degree. That'll highly increase the odds of you being able to get hired at MPD.

Comment

I second this.

I believe there were around 35 hires for their most recent recruit class. Over 1000 applied. Education is one of the areas that will allow a candidate to stand out. Other components are writing skills, community involvement, volunteerism, foreign language skills, and more.

Another reason to get the 4-year (or more) degree: Madison offers an education incentive that provides a significant pay bump after a couple years of employment. The amount of the bump is dependent on whether you have a Bachelor's, Master's, JD, or PhD (yes, there are some of the latter).

All that being said, the degree isn't everything. IIRC, MPD recently hired a recruit straight out of high school. They will offer spots to those with no degree and allow the employee up to 2 years to earn or finish the required 60 college-level credits the state requires for LEOs.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9521 users online. 351 members and 9170 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X