300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Madison PD - thoughts?

Just curious as to anyone working for Madison PD? I was hoping to get a feel of how the department is personnel wise, or anything you wouldn't mind sharing. Thanks!

I applied with them, passed the written and passed the very intense physical agility test they have (that 1.5 mile run isn't a joke) made it to oral interview and did not pass.

All the officers were very nice. The main recruiter Sgt. Koval is very friendly and cordial.

MPD gets a ridiculous amount of alcohol related calls from UW-Madison. That school is like in the top 10 of alcohol related crimes. It is insane.

The only thing I did not like and thought was very odd was the way their first Oral Interview is set up: There are only four (4) questions. Yes, only four questions. And they put you in a room and you watch a short video on how they want you to answer these questions. Then after the video is over you get to look at the questions and write any notes on scrap paper. An Officer comes to get you like 10 minutes later and tells you that you do not get to use the notes you wrote down. The panel of officers asked me the EXACT SAME QUESTIONS THAT I HAD JUST LOOKED AT!!! And I know exactly why I failed. I was trying too hard to REMEMBER what I wrote down instead of talking off the top of my head.

Comment

I work very closely with MPD and have quite a few friends that work for MPD. Feel free to PM me with specifics or whatever you'd like to know.

I don't have the motivation to type a big reply here, right now.
      Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

Originally posted by star25what
        I applied with them, passed the written and passed the very intense physical agility test they have (that 1.5 mile run isn't a joke) made it to oral interview and did not pass.

All the officers were very nice. The main recruiter Sgt. Koval is very friendly and cordial.

MPD gets a ridiculous amount of alcohol related calls from UW-Madison. That school is like in the top 10 of alcohol related crimes. It is insane.

The only thing I did not like and thought was very odd was the way their first Oral Interview is set up: There are only four (4) questions. Yes, only four questions. And they put you in a room and you watch a short video on how they want you to answer these questions. Then after the video is over you get to look at the questions and write any notes on scrap paper. An Officer comes to get you like 10 minutes later and tells you that you do not get to use the notes you wrote down. The panel of officers asked me the EXACT SAME QUESTIONS THAT I HAD JUST LOOKED AT!!! And I know exactly why I failed. I was trying too hard to REMEMBER what I wrote down instead of talking off the top of my head.
        Is the oral pass/fail or scored?

Comment

Originally posted by aftermath
          Is the oral pass/fail or scored?
          they add up all three of the interviewers responses and if it is not high enough you fail.

i'm glad i didn't get the job with MPD. i got hired here close to home in Michigan.

Comment

Im going to be taking the written test for Madison PD next month. I hear its not like a normal police test. Is there any materal I can look at to prepair? Also, does anyone know if Madison gives a polygraph test?

Comment

No polygraph, they're very rare in WI LE hiring. IMHO, they're crap and not very valid.

The test is a communication skills test. It tests your ability to communicate and is graded based upon years of collegiate experience. It pretty looks to see at what level of education you are able to communicate at. So, no I don't think there is anything like a study guide. But, the best person to ask would be the MDP recruiters as they would know.
              Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

Originally posted by jeeper View Post
                No polygraph, they're very rare in WI LE hiring. IMHO, they're crap and not very valid.

The test is a communication skills test. It tests your ability to communicate and is graded based upon years of collegiate experience. It pretty looks to see at what level of education you are able to communicate at. So, no I don't think there is anything like a study guide. But, the best person to ask would be the MDP recruiters as they would know.
                No study guide. Just knowledge on grammar, punctuation, word meanings, reading comprehension. I think 18.9 is the max, last time I took it I scored 18.3 so it's not hard at all. I take my written tomorrow in Chicago, woo hoo!

Comment

Originally posted by aftermath View Post
                  I take my written tomorrow in Chicago, woo hoo!
                  Good luck. Let us know how you did

Comment

Originally posted by furture5oh View Post
                    Good luck. Let us know how you did
                    Well, received the postcard with my written score on it....

18.4 out of a possible 18.9 so it apparently went well. Only thing that kind of sucks is the physical test isn't until October according to recruitment...
                    Guess that means I shouldn't fail, huh?

Comment

I guess not. Ive actually been prepairing for it myself. I take the written on wednesday

Comment

Good luck on it and study your vocabulary!

Comment

Hey aftermath, about how many people took the test in Chicago?

Comment

I'd say no more than 15 were there at the UIC test. Even that might be high.
                            Sgt. Koval said recruitments have been drawing less and less people so I guess that was the case.

Comment

I just took the test in Minneapolis last Thursday. There were only about 20 people there. I guess this is good news for those of us who really want to work there!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5099 users online. 308 members and 4791 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X