Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kenosha Police Department

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Kenosha Police Department

    Ok, I'm wondering what's been heard about KPD. I'm thinking of applying to KPD, but two things have me slightly concerned:

    They don't require a CJ APS degree, you have five years to get one.

    The media is biased against them due to multiple shoots and taser use.

    I'm going through a CJ program, so there's no time table. I also already run a business, but quite frankly, I have operations managers and people like that to run it for me.

    Someone on KSD told me to stay away from city like the plague, but gave vague reasons like, "We're afraid when they back us up," etc.
    N. A. Corbier
    Moderator, SecurityInfoWatch Forums
    Visiting Commando Leader

    If you work in private security, feel free to register on Officer.com's sister site for security, forums.securityinfowatch.com

  • #2
    I've never had any problems with KPD. If I was looking for a job, they would be one of the departments I would apply with.

    Head over to 911jobforums.com/vB and private message with KenoshaCop. He's a Kenosha sheriff and has a ton of info.

    Racine PD on the other hand....

    K9

    Comment


    • #3
      I've heard stories about Racine. Wonderful stories. Stories that only security officers should tell one another, when changing companies.

      I've already got one KSD deputy I can grab some info for, but another one is useful, so thanks.

      I'm eventually going to have to meet the watch commanders over at KPD and KSD in an "official" capacity, anyway.
      N. A. Corbier
      Moderator, SecurityInfoWatch Forums
      Visiting Commando Leader

      If you work in private security, feel free to register on Officer.com's sister site for security, forums.securityinfowatch.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by nacorbier
        Ok, I'm wondering what's been heard about KPD. I'm thinking of applying to KPD, but two things have me slightly concerned:

        The media is biased against them due to multiple shoots and taser use.
        Welcome to police work.

        Comment


        • #5
          Hey,
          I grew up in Kenosha and have spent a lot of time in Racine. I have ridden with both the KPD and the KSD on multiple occasions. I realize that, yes, the KPD doesnt have the best relationship with the media right now, however I don't think is has changed their job much, and many do still respect them. The officers I road with were very personable, and seemed to stay relitively busy (understaffed, according to them). Kenosha is a nice sized town and is, in my opinion, exponentially greater than Racine. KSD was also impressive, although kept very busy as well.

          Racine.... just don't go there. I knew an officer there who retired eagerly and was very unhappy with his department. I have never done a ride a lot with them, but I to have heard bad things. I also road a long with a RSD deputy, and I have nothing bad to say about them, however I do still prefer Kenosha.

          Ok, sorry for rambling, but if you have any questions you think I can answer, just message me. I would definantly recommend both the KPD and KSD and have considered applying there myself. Kenosha is a fast growing town and, as apposed to turning into more of a ghetto (like Racine), it is actually improving. Good luck.

          Best- John

          Comment


          • #6
            I moved out of the ghetto, thank you very much. I've already heard from the natives here in Kenosha that alot of people are afraid of driving into South Racine. Reports of teens walking up to their cars, like they don't care. Where I'm from, that's the sure sign of a carjacking.

            Thanks for the information. And yes, they do have a media problem right now. I'm not sure how much of it is the media, and how much of it may be a simple training issue. I've heard it suggested before that KPD is simply suffering from Taser Magic Bullet syndrome, where they try to X26 their way out of everything. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Then again, if I tasered someone 6 times, and it didn't work, I'd got to another use of force option right quick.
            N. A. Corbier
            Moderator, SecurityInfoWatch Forums
            Visiting Commando Leader

            If you work in private security, feel free to register on Officer.com's sister site for security, forums.securityinfowatch.com

            Comment


            • #7
              applications

              I went to Kenosha, Pleaseant Prairie, Mount Pleaseant, Caledonia, and Racine today with my Texas certification and they all told me to get my 60 hours, and that they all have lists and they wont be open for awhile! One department looked hopeful but they want me to go to a tech college and get enrolled in a course for Wisconsin law.

              Also am getting a bunch of applications for back in Texas here, I love Wisconsin summers, but I pretty sure its gonna snow in about an hour .
              “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.”- Romans 12:12

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by mrcarroll71
                Mount Pleaseant
                Nice building, ain't it?

                I would know a thing or two (or everything) about the department if you ever needed some info. Still seems like I was just there. Pretty good knowledge of the other departments as well (I'd stay away from Caledonia, just me though).

                K9

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by K9 Police
                  Nice building, ain't it?

                  I would know a thing or two (or everything) about the department if you ever needed some info. Still seems like I was just there. Pretty good knowledge of the other departments as well (I'd stay away from Caledonia, just me though).

                  K9
                  It is a little small. I've come to realize I might as well get applications from Subway without my Wisconsin LESB certification. I saw on the 'wilenet' that I could tesout for the certification so I may go that route for now and then go back with the DJ-LE 330. Wohoo, then I can have two state certifications and 1,000 applications .
                  “Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer.”- Romans 12:12

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    City of Kenosha Police, www.kenoshapolice.com, do not require a college degree or 60 hours of college credits to apply. They will take applicants with a high school diploma, you have up to five years to complete your 60 credit hours.
                    N. A. Corbier
                    Moderator, SecurityInfoWatch Forums
                    Visiting Commando Leader

                    If you work in private security, feel free to register on Officer.com's sister site for security, forums.securityinfowatch.com

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mrcarroll71
                      I went to Kenosha, Pleaseant Prairie, Mount Pleaseant, Caledonia, and Racine today with my Texas certification and they all told me to get my 60 hours, and that they all have lists and they wont be open for awhile! One department looked hopeful but they want me to go to a tech college and get enrolled in a course for Wisconsin law.

                      Also am getting a bunch of applications for back in Texas here, I love Wisconsin summers, but I pretty sure its gonna snow in about an hour .
                      Certifications from another state are 120 hours. There is a test out option, but someone from another state would best be suited to go through the 120 hours. You need to be sponsored by an agency to go through the 120 hrs, I don't think you can send yourself.

                      Town of Madison PD is taking applications for another week or so - they will consider sending new hires to the 120 hour contigency training. If you like police work that is a good agency to go to because you will work.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by WICop
                        Town of Madison PD is taking applications for another week or so - they will consider sending new hires to the 120 hour contigency training. If you like police work that is a good agency to go to because you will work.

                        You couldn't pay me enough to work in the Town, unless I was guaranteed a day shift spot. They have a lot of great cops, but they must be a little off to want to work there. However, making 6 figures (with all the OT) would be nice.
                        "I assume you all have guns and crack."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Badgerland
                          You couldn't pay me enough to work in the Town, unless I was guaranteed a day shift spot. They have a lot of great cops, but they must be a little off to want to work there. However, making 6 figures (with all the OT) would be nice.

                          Hey!!! I resemble that remark!

                          My app just got turned in...
                          Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by WICop
                            You need to be sponsored by an agency to go through the 120 hrs, I don't think you can send yourself.

                            Town of Madison PD is taking applications for another week or so - they will consider sending new hires to the 120 hour contigency training. If you like police work that is a good agency to go to because you will work.
                            Nope, I was wrong, you can send yourself through Contigency Training if you move to WI and certified in another state. Below is the Training & Standards Q&A about this topic.

                            May a person attend the contingency course or complete the contingency training test-out option before being hired by an agency?
                            A. Yes. Civilians who are graduates of college certification track or pre-service training, and have not been employed as officers within two (2) years of graduation, may extend their certifiable status by up to one (1) year by completing the contingency course or the contingency training test-out.
                            Also, certified or licensed law enforcement officers who move to Wisconsin from another state may complete the contingency course or the contingency training test-out as civilians prior to employment in Wisconsin.

                            Comment

                            MR300x250 Tablet

                            Collapse

                            What's Going On

                            Collapse

                            There are currently 5894 users online. 311 members and 5583 guests.

                            Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

                            Welcome Ad

                            Collapse
                            Working...
                            X