Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota to Wisconsin LE - Questions

Hi folks,

I am writting to find out what would I need to do in order to get hired in Wisconsin since getting hired here in Minnesota is tough. I have an associates degree in Law Enforcement from Alexandria Technical and I am currently "eligable to be hired" in Minnesota. I assume I would have to go to a basic statutes course to learn the Wisconsin laws, are there any others I would have to do?

One of my former co-workers is a former LEO who started in MN then went to WI, but missed his family and desided to come back and he said it wasn't that difficult since he had the same education level as I do. But I wanted some additional feedback.

Thanks for any help.

Even though you're certified in Minnesota, you'd need to attend a 520 academy for Law Enforcement Standards Certification in Wisconsin. These are offered at quite a few Technical Colleges, and some allow you to be self-sponsored. A few agencies such as the Milwaukee P.D., the Madison P.D. and the State Patrol run their own academies. You already meet the necessary educational requirements.
    Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice. Barry Goldwater

Comment

Actually... Not to step on your feet Keith... If he is certified in MN, He will only have to do the 120 hr reciprocity course... https://wilenet.org/html/career/wantransfer.doc

Right now it is ~three weeks... But I know they are changing it, I heard something like a week and a test out...

If not certified in any other state, you would have to do the 520 hr course...
      ~Wise men stand behind me, Brave men stand beside me, only Fools stand against me!~

Comment

Hutch is right, you only need to do the 120hr reciprocity course. I, however, have heard nothing about them cutting it down. Also, there are alot of the Tech schools that do not offer just the 120hr course. I know that WWTC and MATC Madison both don't offer the course.

You could always apply with a department that will pay for you to attend the 120/520, however there really aren't a whole lot of those around.

Feel free to ask specific questions about which areas of the state you're looking at.
        Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

Ok. You have been very helpful. Am I correct that the 520 hour requirement is where you learn how to handcuff, gun range, defensive tactics, chemical agents - basically what we call skills here in MN?

My friend seamed to make is sound easy. He went through the app process and then took 3 or 4 week classes for the WI state statutes.

Comment

The 520 hr course is starting from the beginning through everything indepth...

The 120 course is expected that you know everything and you basically are tested in all the area's then your done....

If that makes any sense...
            ~Wise men stand behind me, Brave men stand beside me, only Fools stand against me!~

Comment

Originally posted by jeeper
              You could always apply with a department that will pay for you to attend the 120/520, however there really aren't a whole lot of those around.
              Actually, there are quite a lot of departments that will send you through the 120 or 520 class if they really want you. I was not certified in WI and my former department picked me up, and sent me through the full academy while paying me also. There are departments that do it, so if I were in your shoes I would apply and see where it went while also figuring out how to take the course if you need to on your own.

K9

Comment

History question

I have been working on my family history and have some questions about law enforcement in the 1880's. Any LEO's from Western Wisconsin, Trempealeau, Jackson, Sawyer counties?

If a woman was raped, what resources were available to her? Did victims commonly report rapes?

If a woman worked as a domestic servant what would be her options if the man of the house harrassed/molested her?

My great grandmother lived in Pigeon Falls until her marriage. Are there police reports from that time?

Thanks,

Life begins at 40...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6274 users online. 322 members and 5952 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X