300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rules regarding admissibility of juvenile statements

Just got this via email today. What a pain in the arse. I have a few questions. Is asking questions to a juvie in the backseat of the squad a custodial interrogation? What if I just picked him up for a municipal curfew violation and was just conveying him home? How about a municipal retail theft violation?:

CORRESPONDENCE/MEMORANDUM DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE

Date: July 7, 2005

To: All Wisconsin Prosecutors And Law Enforcement Agencies

Wisconsin Attorney General

Greg Weber_________
    Assistant Attorney General
    Director, Criminal Appeals Unit
    Wisconsin Department of Justice

Subject: Court-Ordered Changes In Interrogation Practices Involving Juveniles

This morning, the Wisconsin Supreme Court issued its decision and opinion in State of Wisconsin v. Jerrell C.J., 2005 WI 105, ___Wis. 2d___, ___N.W.2d___. In its opinion, the court exercised its supervisory power and created new rules of law governing the admissibility of statements and confessions made by juveniles during custodial interrogation. The rules are summarized below.

Beginning immediately, all custodial interrogations of juveniles must be electronically recorded where feasible, and without exception when questioning occurs at a place of detention. Jerrell C.J., 2005 WI 105, 3.

 [I]This recording requirement governs the admissibility of a juvenile
    "I assume you all have guns and crack."

In VT, anytime a juvenile is to be questioned while in custody, a parent, guardian, or other uninterested party must be present with them. Also a written signiture must be obtained or the interview must be recorded for the waiver to be valid.

Comment

We have a few e-mails from the DA and our admin/court services about it. I'll read through them and try to give you a synopsis as to what the DA has so far said about it.
      Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

Not surprised at all.

Coming from WI LE to MN LE, I was kind of surprised to find that all in-custodial arrest interrogations must be electronically recorded. Anytime miranda is given, it better be on tape. Definetely different than WI.

K9

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3108 users online. 174 members and 2934 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X