Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current LEO in TX, Questions about WI.

I have a few questions about Wisconson/Milwaukee are LE Jobs.

First, A little about me, and the reasoning behind my questions. My wife and I met in College and lived in Colorado for 15 years. I was a Police Officer in a small suburb of Denver for 5.5 years. My wife got a promotion to the DFW (Texas) area. I took the first LE job I could get, and am very happy with where I landed in a medium sized "Inner Ring" suburb of Dallas. There are under 200 sworn and the population is around 120K people. I've been here 3 years and am now quite happy.

At first things weren't so great. I was unable to challenge the state test, and had to go through an academy. It was a regional academy and not well run. I am not interested in going through a third academy if my wife gets transfered again. Now that I'm on my own, I'm thrilled with the pace and type of work we do. We work hard, have fun, and show great teamwork. I'd love to be able to find a similar work environment.

A transfer to the Milwaukee area may be in the future for us and financially would be a no brainer to go. With that said, I'm looking for all types of advice.
    1. What are the odds I can find a Department that would help me study and let me challenge the state licensing test? Anyone know of any area Departments offhand.
    2. I would like to be in an inner ring City in the metro area. I don't know how far Madison is from Milwaukee or how big it is. What are some similar sized Cities in the area from where I currently work listed above?
    3. What are some good areas to live in with good schools? For reference, we have a 3000 square foot home ($300K) in the Dallas Area. What can that money get you in terms of size in the areas with good schools? Wife needs to live within 45-60 minutes of the airport, and I LOVE my 15 minute commute to work.
    4. I know its dang cold there. But what are the average highs and lows in the dead of winter? What's the humidity like? Colorado was cold, but Dry so it never felt too cold in Denver.
    5. What is the relative size of the overall metro area? Does the metro area extend all the way out to Madison, or is there "dead space" or "farm land" in between the areas? I've never been to Wisconson before.

That's all I can think of right now, and would greatly appreciate any recommendations and help as to the above questions.

Thanks again!

James

James,

You have quite a few questions there. If you'd like, go ahead and PM me your phone number and I'll give you a call sometime in the next few days.

I currently work for a state agency based in Madison, and can give you some 'general' information about the area and what I know about the testing. I don't have a lot of knowledge about Milwaukee metro area, but I work with a couple people who recently left the Sheriff's Office there. They may be willing to give you details if Milwaukee is truly where you'd like to end up.

My advice is to look at a map, look at populations of the cities surrounding that area, and then start checking on those agency's recruitment page. Any agency that employs 100+ officers is going to have quite a bit of detail listed.

There is no state required test, per se. You have to be certifiable by the Law Enforcement Standards Board (LESB), and they have a lot of info on their site: https://wilenet.org/html/career/

Dig through the above, and if you want more information let me know.

Litz

Comment

Originally posted by AdidasCU View Post

First, A little about me, and the reasoning behind my questions. My wife and I met in College and lived in Colorado for 15 years. I was a Police Officer in a small suburb of Denver for 5.5 years. My wife got a promotion to the DFW (Texas) area. I took the first LE job I could get, and am very happy with where I landed in a medium sized "Inner Ring" suburb of Dallas. There are under 200 sworn and the population is around 120K people. I've been here 3 years and am now quite happy.

At first things weren't so great. I was unable to challenge the state test, and had to go through an academy. It was a regional academy and not well run. I am not interested in going through a third academy if my wife gets transfered again. Now that I'm on my own, I'm thrilled with the pace and type of work we do. We work hard, have fun, and show great teamwork. I'd love to be able to find a similar work environment.

A transfer to the Milwaukee area may be in the future for us and financially would be a no brainer to go. With that said, I'm looking for all types of advice.
      1. What are the odds I can find a Department that would help me study and let me challenge the state licensing test? Anyone know of any area Departments offhand.
      2. I would like to be in an inner ring City in the metro area. I don't know how far Madison is from Milwaukee or how big it is. What are some similar sized Cities in the area from where I currently work listed above?
      3. What are some good areas to live in with good schools? For reference, we have a 3000 square foot home ($300K) in the Dallas Area. What can that money get you in terms of size in the areas with good schools? Wife needs to live within 45-60 minutes of the airport, and I LOVE my 15 minute commute to work.
      4. I know its dang cold there. But what are the average highs and lows in the dead of winter? What's the humidity like? Colorado was cold, but Dry so it never felt too cold in Denver.
      5. What is the relative size of the overall metro area? Does the metro area extend all the way out to Madison, or is there "dead space" or "farm land" in between the areas? I've never been to Wisconson before.

That's all I can think of right now, and would greatly appreciate any recommendations and help as to the above questions.

Thanks again!

James
      1. No idea

2. 1.5 hours, to me Madison doesn't have big suburbs. I live near chicago so I'm comparing the layout/metro area of chicago similar to Dallas

3. No idea on home values, I'd check listings online.

4. It's a nasty wet cold that chills your bones.

5. Madison is a small metro and then farms connecting little towns. Milwaukee is very similar but it extends longer but still both metro areas are nothing like chicago/dalls

Comment

Originally posted by AdidasCU View Post

Thanks again!

James
        Milwaukee and Madison both require you to go through their academy regardless of your background. As far as house, youll get more for your money here. Schools are going to depend on where you live and work. Most departments require some sort of residency, so it most likely be decided for you. Winters are cold and wet but manageable.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4690 users online. 160 members and 4530 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X