300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Milwaukee PD 2014-15 Hiring Process

Just like the 2010 post, here is one for the 2014-15 process. Application deadline was October 17, 2014, and the written is scheduled for November 10, 2014.

Got my email!

Comment

I wasn't expecting their reply as quick as they did. Of course, it had to be on a day I picked up an OT shift.

Comment

Originally posted by ice_tre View Post
        I wasn't expecting their reply as quick as they did. Of course, it had to be on a day I picked up an OT shift.
        Agreed, the last go-around it took a couple months from the application date to get a testing date. Then it took about 3 months to get the results. You going to try to reschedule or take the day off? I'm imagine the test sessions are spread out with groups, probably two a day for several days. Will be interesting to see how many applied this time. I would be surprised if there are as many as in the massive 2010 process.

Comment

I'll call the commission later this week when I have a day off to see what my options are.

If rescheduling is possible, I will try that. If not, the deciding factor will be how many applicants were chosen to test.

If it's in the thousands like last time, I will withdrawal my name from the process. If it's in the couple hundreds, I'll see what I can do to attend. The only downside for me is the distance. I live/work in the Omaha metro area but from Wisconsin; so, right away I'm looking at a minimum of a 2 day trip.

I'm already in LE and have been for almost 10 years. MPD has always been one of my "dream" agencies to work for but if it doesn't work out. I'm okay with that decision because I know I have other possibilities for career advancements in the near future.

Backing out of the OT shift is near impossible because my agency is also in the hiring process and short staffed as it is.

Comment

I'll call the commission later this week when I have a day off to see what my options are.

If rescheduling is possible, I will try that. If not, the deciding factor will be how many applicants were chosen to test.

If it's in the thousands like last time, I will withdrawal my name from the process. If it's in the couple hundreds, I'll see what I can do to attend. The only downside for me is the distance. I live/work in the Omaha metro area but from Wisconsin; so, right away I'm looking at a minimum of a 2 day trip.

I'm already in LE and have been for almost 10 years. MPD has always been one of my "dream" agencies to work for but if it doesn't work out. I'm okay with that decision because I know I have other possibilities for career advancements in the near future.

Backing out of the OT shift is near impossible because my agency is also in the hiring process and short staffed as it is.
            I can tell you right now thousands applied. What I can't tell you is the seriousness of some of them.

Comment

I know the percentage of "true" applicants are nothing compared to the total number of applicants.

I have been on both sides of the hiring process as an applicant and as an representative of an agency.

Everyone wants to be a cop, but only a select few has what it takes.

Comment

Maybe, MPD is doing something different given the quick testing date.

Maybe, they had a selection process for the testing to weed out the wannabes.

Just never know. My guess is only based on experience.

Comment

Maybe, MPD is doing something different given the quick testing date.

Maybe, they had a selection process for the testing to weed out the wannabes.

Just never know. My guess is only based on experience.
                  Agreed the quick test date is different but I believe that's just because of the fact that the next class will be filled entirely from this new list so they have to get moving. it may also be part of their strategy to speed things up this time since they often lose a lot because of the long wait and they're trying to save face right now. Shrug.

Like Cubs said, Its probably in the thousands. As long as you're not a felon and 21 you get to take the written. Let us know if you find out when you call.

Since I know you don't have resedency pref, do you have military? If not, don't hold your breath. Even if you ace the test, you're going to be waiting years to proceed in the process past the written. Also realize even if you're current certified LE, you start over in mpd, academy and all. No laterals.

Not trying to be Johnny negative, just want you to know what to expect. if MPD is your dream like mine regardless of all I just mentioned, I wish you the best!

Comment

I'm familiar with MPD academy.

I use to live in WI started my career with a WI agency.

Comment

Before the speculation on here gets worse than a knitting circle with everyone guessing how the testing process works, read the material you were sent from the FPC regarding the selection process.

I've read through the entirety of the previous mpd recruitment threads and now that I've been through the process I can tell you there's a LOT of misinformation and speculation about how it works. After wasting hours and hours reading all that stuff I realized the FPC pretty much lays it out for you in the document they provided.

Some key things I've learned:
                      Get ready to wait and sometimes go nuts doing it but understand, no news is usually good news. They usually tell you pretty quickly if you fail a step but they make you sweat, sometimes for months if you pass and they're waiting to schedule the next test step. The way you know you passed the previous step is being told when the next one is.

There's no skipping. Your rank is what dictates when you proceed, if you're 566, that means there's 565 guys that will get the chance before you. True, many get weeded out but they will not skip 565 because 566 looks better on paper. 565 is lower than 566 and that's all that matters. This holds true through the entire process.

Regarding the above, after the written all the examination steps are pass/fail. Running the 1.5 in a lower time does nothing to your rank. Doing better on the oral interview will not put you ahead of stuttering billy if he still passed the test. You either pass it and move on or fail and don't.

Good luck and post it or pm me if you have any questions. Btw, if I find that something is different this time I'll post it on here. It's possible though unlikely that they've completely changed the process and what I experienced is not the case this time. Again, I doubt it. It's still Mke we're talking about here
                      Last edited by worthashot; 10-29-2014, 01:33 AM. Reason: Spelling/grammer

Comment

Speculation, maybe?

I'll be honest, I don't know MPD's application process or have any documents supporting such. I also don't claim to have any "inside" information. I do know MPD is planning to hold at least one academy in 2015 and knowing an application process from start to finish can take months.

My speculation is based on my experience from both sides of the table throughout my career. As an applicant and as a hiring agency.

Is my speculation right or wrong? Again, it's MPD's application process.

Each agency has their own application process and how it's administered.

What caught my attention was the immediate scheduling for the written test one week after closing. A department the size of MPD and assuming thousands upon thousands applied, I definitely wasn't expecting that email when it came.

Based on my experience, applications are screened at some stage during the application process. Qualified applications are then forwarded to the next step.

Did they screen and invited only the qualified applicants for testing? I don't know. Based on my experience, the immediate scheduling of the written test, and the urgency to get at least one academy class in 2015 tell me it's possible.

This is the reasoning behind my speculation. It could be right or it could be wrong.
                        Last edited by ice_tre; 10-29-2014, 02:10 AM.

Comment

It's probably like cpd. You pass the written. You get a number. They go thru everyone number order (except vets and residency preference) and you wait your turn. Anyone testing for depts should be used to waiting. Testing one day with a chance down the road for a career seems like a good choice of time.

I was hoping for a Saturday test but I'll take a Monday.

Comment

*Warning Rumor*

From what I heard they are already looking to have a Spring Academy from this test. So here's to hoping this is a quick process!

Good Luck everywhere!

Comment

Mayor's proposed budget:

The 2015 proposed budget funds a sworn strength of 1,880 Officers, based on the projected average strength level throughout the year. This represents an increase of 12 Full Time Equivalents (FTEs) from the 2014 budgeted strength of 1,868. The budget anticipates 85 recruits becoming available for community policing duties during 2015. Fifty Officers will be hired at the end of 2014 and a class of 35 will begin midyear 2015.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6268 users online. 358 members and 5910 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X