300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• state of Wisconsin corrections

Not much info on here regarding corrections.

Anyone work for them or in the testing process currently?

It seems like the have an academy every 2 months. One starts Monday, one in January and one in March

Took my written, graded on site. A lot were in the same time as I was and not many went on to the interview.

Interview was a board with 2 co and a white shirt. Went well, seemed like a good group.

Physical was push-up and sit-ups, no time limit. Then a 1.5 mile run. Standards were pretty easy and they wanted people to pass. Very encouraging staff, even the ones who weren't in good enough shape were given a break and helped thru, still 3/5 in my group did not pass despite being helped, all it would take is a little effort and they lacked that.

Someone help me keep from responding to my own posts in here.

Comment

I don't have any first-hand exp. with WIDOC but I know of seen old threads discussing it. I've also heard things that suggest it's not necessarily a great place. They do have decent benefits I beleive though.

Comment

I have a friend who went through it. She had nothing more than a high school diploma. From the written to her hire date was maybe 8 weeks. Shes in the academy now and likes it. It nothing to difficult. I know the DOC are hurtin for people. If you move on far enough, they let you choose which area you would like to be placed. You get three choices. Ultimately, you go where they need you, so you might not get any of them.

Comment

state of Wisconsin corrections

When I tested, I spoke to 5-10 people that had failed in the past and were trying again. The test was SIMPLE. 55 questions. It seemed like half of the people left after the test.

They physical was easy also. I from reading the job posting I figured if you passed it all you would go to the January academy but I guess they still use your panel interview score and written score and give you an offer based on that.

For me it COULD be: apply end of sept, testing 11/7, offer 11/14, medical first week of December and academy jan 12 or jan 26

My main question is about the weight of interview vs. Written test.

A 7 day turnaround from test to offer is amazing so I can't complain.

Comment

Is the pay $15.00?

Comment

state of Wisconsin corrections

Academy pay is $15.194 then you get more with certain shift differentials.

Comment

I worked briefly for the WIDOC. They're hurting for officers and their hiring process proves that. The academy is approximately 7 weeks in Madison. They put you up in a hotel during the academy. The academy isn't difficult if you've got common sense and a good head on your shoulders. When you apply, you put down your top 3 choices and since most institutions are short staffed there's a better than good chance you'll get a spot at one of the three. If you're hired, they call you and offer you a spot at an institution (usually your top choice), then you're scheduled to attend the academy. Aside from all that, working for the DOC is very good experience and quite a few people use it as a stepping stone to other careers in law enforcement or corrections. On the flip side, if you're interested in making a career out of corrections, it's a good place to be. There's a lot of room for advancement and transferring between institutions if very easy (basically you're eligible to transfer anywhere with an opening every 6 months if you want once you finish your 6 month probation period). You can also transfer into other state jobs in different departments throughout the state if you're qualified. If you have more questions, let me know.

Comment

Thanks!

I was wondering how you are chosen moving forward after testing. I tested last Friday and we may have offers tomorrow.

Is the written score a huge factor or the interview? A lot of people I spoke to at the test site said it was there third or fourth time trying and that was kind of weird bc it wasn't that tough at all!

Comment

I'm not exactly sure how they weigh the test and interview. When I went through their process, you tested, they scored your test while you waited, and you interviewed the same day if you had a passing score. Idk if they're still doing that? Also, when I went through, the physical agility test was the last step in the process and the lieutenant told us before we started that if we passed the physical, we would be getting a job offer so they don't really keep you guessing or waiting with their process.

Comment

My testing was done the same exact way except no job offer before physical. I assumed that was how it worked but maybe not anymore! I'm waiting on an email with an offer.

Comment

So I've looked but I can't find it..what is the pay after the academy? I'm trying to justify driving up to Wisconsin from Chicago to test. Seems like a good opportunity, but why is the pay so low?

What are the nearest institutions to Chicago?

Comment

Milwaukee and Racine

Comment

Originally posted by JA_4169 View Post
                            I'm not exactly sure how they weigh the test and interview. When I went through their process, you tested, they scored your test while you waited, and you interviewed the same day if you had a passing score. Idk if they're still doing that? Also, when I went through, the physical agility test was the last step in the process and the lieutenant told us before we started that if we passed the physical, we would be getting a job offer so they don't really keep you guessing or waiting with their process.
                            Can you turn your PMs on?

Comment

Originally posted by JA_4169 View Post
                              I worked briefly for the WIDOC. They're hurting for officers and their hiring process proves that. The academy is approximately 7 weeks in Madison. They put you up in a hotel during the academy. The academy isn't difficult if you've got common sense and a good head on your shoulders. When you apply, you put down your top 3 choices and since most institutions are short staffed there's a better than good chance you'll get a spot at one of the three. If you're hired, they call you and offer you a spot at an institution (usually your top choice), then you're scheduled to attend the academy. Aside from all that, working for the DOC is very good experience and quite a few people use it as a stepping stone to other careers in law enforcement or corrections. On the flip side, if you're interested in making a career out of corrections, it's a good place to be. There's a lot of room for advancement and transferring between institutions if very easy (basically you're eligible to transfer anywhere with an opening every 6 months if you want once you finish your 6 month probation period). You can also transfer into other state jobs in different departments throughout the state if you're qualified. If you have more questions, let me know.
                              Im planning on testing in january for the co position. I was unable to make the last testing dates. But you said here the WIDOC puts you up in a hotel for the acadmy. My question is do they put you in a hotel for the entire 7 weeks? Because their website says that if you live more than 40 miles away they will have housing during the week but not on weekends basically. I will be moving their from Cali.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3195 users online. 163 members and 3032 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X