300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PoorCollegeKid View Post
    WSP has not hired in years. I think that is why you are finding it hard to find people who have even been through part of the process. Odds are most individuals who made it far in their last hiring (past written/physical, 1st interview) but were not selected have by now probably achieved employment with other agencies.

The last time the WSP hired was in 2008. That academy class graduated around 20 cadets. This class they are looking to hire 40. Their numbers are very low right now so it wouldnt surprise me if they had a second class right after this one. I took the test 4 years ago. The written wasnt too bad. There should be a sample test somewhere on the WSP website. The physical agility is also on their web page. The process when I went through was 1) written test and physical agility 2) schedule interview, 3) Interview 4) background 5) physch test written 6) physch test oral 7) physical/medical exam 5) Final Offer

I took a position at another department so I am not sure if they have changed the process. I do know the academy is physically and mentally demanding and is run "military" style. Marching, daily uniform inspections, distance running, push ups, sit ups, waking up and doing PT at 2AM, etc. If you are not in top physical shape you will not make it through. It is a very big commitment but they do offer the best training. Anyone can make it through but you have to be 100% committed. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to work for a professional agency that is interested in traffic enforcement. But be prepared prior gettting into the academy if you are not in shape because you will be sorry. Best of luck to those going through the process.

Comment

Originally posted by depsheriff10 View Post
      The last time the WSP hired was in 2008. That academy class graduated around 20 cadets. This class they are looking to hire 40. Their numbers are very low right now so it wouldnt surprise me if they had a second class right after this one. I took the test 4 years ago. The written wasnt too bad. There should be a sample test somewhere on the WSP website. The physical agility is also on their web page. The process when I went through was 1) written test and physical agility 2) schedule interview, 3) Interview 4) background 5) physch test written 6) physch test oral 7) physical/medical exam 5) Final Offer

I took a position at another department so I am not sure if they have changed the process. I do know the academy is physically and mentally demanding and is run "military" style. Marching, daily uniform inspections, distance running, push ups, sit ups, waking up and doing PT at 2AM, etc. If you are not in top physical shape you will not make it through. It is a very big commitment but they do offer the best training. Anyone can make it through but you have to be 100% committed. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to work for a professional agency that is interested in traffic enforcement. But be prepared prior gettting into the academy if you are not in shape because you will be sorry. Best of luck to those going through the process.
      Definitely appreciate the input; now things are little more clear. Yeah I looked at the physical agility on the website and it is probably one of the most grueling set of standards for physical fitness I have ever seen, and rightfully so because it's State Patrol. I'm expecting a ton of people to take this test, probably 600 total for all 4 days? Anyone sign up for the test in Pewaukee? I think the e-mails telling us the details should be sent out late next week.
      Depsheriff- do you have any idea how long WSP process takes, at least when you went through it?

Comment

Originally posted by Chiguy27 View Post
        Definitely appreciate the input; now things are little more clear. Yeah I looked at the physical agility on the website and it is probably one of the most grueling set of standards for physical fitness I have ever seen, and rightfully so because it's State Patrol. I'm expecting a ton of people to take this test, probably 600 total for all 4 days? Anyone sign up for the test in Pewaukee? I think the e-mails telling us the details should be sent out late next week.
        Depsheriff- do you have any idea how long WSP process takes, at least when you went through it?
        I was told from some troopers that I work with that the academy starts in October.

Comment

Originally posted by CPD38 View Post
          I was told from some troopers that I work with that the academy starts in October.
          I have also heard the Academy starts in October and usually lasts for 21 weeks (5-6 months). When I went through, the process took about 4 or 5 months. That was from the written test to the academy.

Comment

Wow that sounds like a very fast process. And October is less than 4 months away...

Comment

I will be in Wausau July 16th at 11:30 taking the test.

Comment

I "applied" for the written exam which is scheduled next month. Has anyone here been through the State Patrol hiring process? If so, could you give some insight as to what it was like? It looks like they are scheduled to have an academy in October of this year which is very soon. This will be my first police test ever so I am very curious to what I'll be encountering.
                Originally posted by Mazury401 View Post
                I completed the preliminary application as well. Should we expect letters in the mail stating which test date we received?

You know if you guys get hired, you can never come home again.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                  You know if you guys get hired, you can never come home again.
                  Haha, I'll find a way to sneak past the WI/IL border once in a while and pretend I still live in Illinois.
                  Also for all the other applicants, here is timetable I found on the process. Very helpful stuff.

http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/about/h.../timetable.htm

Comment

Haha, I'll find a way to sneak past the WI/IL border once in a while and pretend I still live in Illinois.
                    Now why would anyone want to claim that?? hehehehe

Comment

Are we supposed to bring the original paperwork along with two copies of it? Or just the original and one copy of it?

Comment

Does anyone know if you pass the written what the interview afterwards is about? Is it casual dress for that interview? Next question, if you make it that far how long after the written/interview is the physical agility?

Comment

Originally posted by Murphy_2006 View Post
                          Does anyone know if you pass the written what the interview afterwards is about? Is it casual dress for that interview? Next question, if you make it that far how long after the written/interview is the physical agility?
                          I can't really help you with the rest, but always assume that an interview like that is a suit/tie affair unless the agency specifically tells you otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by GBPD View Post
                            I have applied for it as well, sounds like they will be hiring 40 for their October Academy. Can probably expect over 1,000 applicants.
                            Those are nice odds!

Comment

A few insights....

First off good luck to everyone that has a upcoming interview. I know that the interviews being held in Wausau have about 4 WSP Troopers and a human resource person. As said in prior posts this will be a fast process. The state patrol is down in numbers (about 130). They want to hire about 40 for this next class. As someone else said expect another recruit class after this one starting in October. So don't get discouraged if you dont get a offer.

The academy is mentally and physically demanding. You have to work hard at it because to get your choice at a postion around the state it depends on your GPA during the recruit class. The academy means you will be away from your family, Sunday night until Friday afternoon. Their is no such thing as sick days or personal days when at the WSPA. Show up give all your effort and be a fly on the wall. Like any other LE job their is ups and downs and BS politics. It is a first class agency and it is going to be around for a longtime. The rumors about dissolving and etc. are all water under the bridge. The pay is not the greatest but over periods of time the pay goes up and down for the WSP. So good luck everyone in the current process.

Comment

Originally posted by zhakkar View Post
                                I can't really help you with the rest, but always assume that an interview like that is a suit/tie affair unless the agency specifically tells you otherwise.
                                Usually two to three weeks for the physical agility . I can't remember exactly but I think the PSYC test and the medical test was the same day.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4060 users online. 222 members and 3838 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X