Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill321
    replied
    What I still think is coming is Wisconsin will be a "Right to Work" State. If Governor Walker survives the recall I think the 2013 budget won't include the legislation. But if he wins again in 2014 and the Republicans are still controlling the Senate and Assembly you may see some dramatic changes. A lot of union employees and retired union members supported the current budget and the changes to collective bargaining for public workers. I want to see what they have to say if they are attacked next and their standard of living erodes.

Leave a comment:

• sigcopper
    replied
    I would agree with Jeff. I'm paying 9.6% of my salary into mt retirement. Last year I paid 7000 bucks toward my health insurance with a 2000 deductible. You can't balance the states money problems on public employees. Mr. kock would like it that way.

Leave a comment:

• Jeff22
    replied
    This all sucks but to put it in persepective: (1.) The state budget in Wisconsin has been in deficit since 1998 or so. Scott McCallum & Jim Doyle reallocated money from other sources to balance the budget but the structural problems remained. That's a fact. (2.) We still pay less into retirement than the officers in Illinois, Minnesota and Iowa. Not sure about Michigan, and I don't know how contributions into health insurance compare, either.

I'm no fan of Scott Walker. Whoever became governor had to make some tough financial decisions. But leave my union alone!!

Leave a comment:

• Bill321
    replied
    Well lets see, 48 Deputy Sheriffs were laid off in Milwaukee County. The remaining Deputies were basically given a choice that we accept paying 6.8% towards our pensions and an increase in health insurance premiums to save about 75 more jobs. We also lost our HMO and were forced into a PPO along with the rest of the workers in the county. We did get a four percent raise (that begins in October) to help offset our pay cut. For 2012 we also lost our Hazardous Duty Pay (750.00) and Uniform Allowance (425.00). Those things are gone for 2012 only per the new contract (but good luck ever seeing them again). HDP and Uniform Allowance were payments we received annually to keep our hourly wages down. These payments were not included in our pension calculations upon retirement. So all in all Governor Walkers Budget Repair Bill is working. He exempted the police and fire unions and we still lost our ability to bargain collectively.

Leave a comment:

• sigcopper
    replied
    Thought I'd bring this back to life just to see where WI was last year.

Leave a comment:

• SRT936
    replied
    Originally posted by PoorCollegeKid View Post
    Thanks for the info SRT.

I was hoping that I was incorrect or this stuff would not become the real deal. It will certianly change parts of WI law enforcement for a while. One of the best things about working in the field in this state was the ability to move around and keep your pension unchanged. Not like that is technically changing, but for the current crop of younger officers it certianly changes options as far as career mobility.

I am also curious to see how things work with administration and their contributions with union vs. non union. Time will tell!
    There will definitely be a new environment for recruitment for next decade or so. We won't see as many laterals or experienced officers looking for greener pastures any more. This will be a boon for new people trying to get into the business, but will represent new challenges for agencies.

My agency, for example, hasn't hired a true rookie officer in over 20 years. Everyone we've hired has been working someplace else first and lateraled to us. I think those candidates willing to move will be much thinner now days. In the next 5 years, we'll be hiring around 8 deputies so the landscape will change dramatically.

I'm not saying this is necessarily a bad thing either. During the last hiring cycle, I was on the interview panel. There were several very strong candidates who would have been good fits for our department but because they were not current law enforcement officers, they fell to the bottom of the list.

Leave a comment:

• PoorCollegeKid
    replied
    Thanks for the info SRT.

I was hoping that I was incorrect or this stuff would not become the real deal. It will certianly change parts of WI law enforcement for a while. One of the best things about working in the field in this state was the ability to move around and keep your pension unchanged. Not like that is technically changing, but for the current crop of younger officers it certianly changes options as far as career mobility.

I am also curious to see how things work with administration and their contributions with union vs. non union. Time will tell!

Leave a comment:

• SRT936
    replied
    Originally posted by 3232 View Post
    How about if you go from patrol to a patrol sgt and take the promotion at your dept?? Our Sgt's are still in the union. Would you be paying then or still covered under the old way?
    Still covered, especially if your sergeants are still in the union. There is some debate about administration level promotions still.

Leave a comment:

replied
    How about if you go from patrol to a patrol sgt and take the promotion at your dept?? Our Sgt's are still in the union. Would you be paying then or still covered under the old way?

Leave a comment:

• SRT936
    replied
    Originally posted by AI_guy View Post
    I know, you're way up north so you probably have no idea.... I'll probably have to call WRS to get the scoop.
    That would probably be your best bet, however, nothing about WRS has changed other than who pays in what to the system. If you were able to roll your ERS into the WRS before, that shouldn't change under the new law.

Leave a comment:

• AI_guy
    replied
    Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
    You've got it pretty well sewn up. If you are currently working for an agency, you are exempt. Even if you started the day before the new budget was passed. However, if you get hired on tomorrow, you will not be exempt.

If you transfer agencies, you will no longer be exempt. As you stated, the trigger is being a new hire at the agency, not WRS.
    SRT you seem pretty up on all these changes. Let me run this one by you.... I was in the Milwaukee pension system for 6 yrs (yes I'm vested), then took a lateral and am now in the WRS, for 10 years. I know they have a reciprocity agreement so my Milwaukee ERS has just been sitting there. Do you think the changes will affect my being able to add my Milwaukee pension to my WRS pension?

I know, you're way up north so you probably have no idea.... I'll probably have to call WRS to get the scoop.

Leave a comment:

• SRT936
    replied
    Originally posted by PoorCollegeKid View Post
    Hey guys, so with the WI courts saying that the original law goes through and then a budget being passed my heads spinning a bit trying to figure out exactly where everyone stands now. I'm the rookie on the department, and unfortunately there is a bit of confusion about all this in the supervisor ranks so I'm having a hard time getting a definite answer.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. The way I understand it is that all current sworn employees are exempted from the 5.8% contributions, but all new hires from here on out will be required to pay the contributions correct? And this is not 'new hire' based on your entrance into the WRS program, but rather your start date at an agency?

Meaning even if you are currently hired, if you lateral to another agency in a couple years you end up getting hit with those contributions as if you were a new hire, regardless of any sort of union/non union contract deal?

I appreciate any information, for whatever reason there seems to be more views on this floating around in my neck of the woods then there should be...
    You've got it pretty well sewn up. If you are currently working for an agency, you are exempt. Even if you started the day before the new budget was passed. However, if you get hired on tomorrow, you will not be exempt.

If you transfer agencies, you will no longer be exempt. As you stated, the trigger is being a new hire at the agency, not WRS.

Leave a comment:

• PoorCollegeKid
    replied
    Hey guys, so with the WI courts saying that the original law goes through and then a budget being passed my heads spinning a bit trying to figure out exactly where everyone stands now. I'm the rookie on the department, and unfortunately there is a bit of confusion about all this in the supervisor ranks so I'm having a hard time getting a definite answer.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. The way I understand it is that all current sworn employees are exempted from the 5.8% contributions, but all new hires from here on out will be required to pay the contributions correct? And this is not 'new hire' based on your entrance into the WRS program, but rather your start date at an agency?

Meaning even if you are currently hired, if you lateral to another agency in a couple years you end up getting hit with those contributions as if you were a new hire, regardless of any sort of union/non union contract deal?

I appreciate any information, for whatever reason there seems to be more views on this floating around in my neck of the woods then there should be...

Leave a comment:

• sigcopper
    replied
    SRT- the young healthy guys suplement the health insurance of the old guys? That is wrong. Wait until those who don't have outnumber those that have. Kiss those benefits good bye.

Leave a comment:

• AI_guy
    replied
    Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
    What I really don't like is the subsection that says that anyone lateraling to a new department will be considered a new hire under these new rules. One of the nice things about the Wisconsin Retirement System is allows for portability of pension for officers that want to move to a new department that might better fit them career wise. I think this element of the new rules will cause a large number of experienced officers to stay put instead of moving around.
    Boy I hope this only applies to new hires too.... If not 13 just turned in to 20...

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4365 users online. 243 members and 4122 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X