Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thought I'd bring this back to life just to see where WI was last year.

Comment

Well lets see, 48 Deputy Sheriffs were laid off in Milwaukee County. The remaining Deputies were basically given a choice that we accept paying 6.8% towards our pensions and an increase in health insurance premiums to save about 75 more jobs. We also lost our HMO and were forced into a PPO along with the rest of the workers in the county. We did get a four percent raise (that begins in October) to help offset our pay cut. For 2012 we also lost our Hazardous Duty Pay (750.00) and Uniform Allowance (425.00). Those things are gone for 2012 only per the new contract (but good luck ever seeing them again). HDP and Uniform Allowance were payments we received annually to keep our hourly wages down. These payments were not included in our pension calculations upon retirement. So all in all Governor Walkers Budget Repair Bill is working. He exempted the police and fire unions and we still lost our ability to bargain collectively.

Comment

This all sucks but to put it in persepective: (1.) The state budget in Wisconsin has been in deficit since 1998 or so. Scott McCallum & Jim Doyle reallocated money from other sources to balance the budget but the structural problems remained. That's a fact. (2.) We still pay less into retirement than the officers in Illinois, Minnesota and Iowa. Not sure about Michigan, and I don't know how contributions into health insurance compare, either.

I'm no fan of Scott Walker. Whoever became governor had to make some tough financial decisions. But leave my union alone!!

Comment

I would agree with Jeff. I'm paying 9.6% of my salary into mt retirement. Last year I paid 7000 bucks toward my health insurance with a 2000 deductible. You can't balance the states money problems on public employees. Mr. kock would like it that way.

Comment

What I still think is coming is Wisconsin will be a "Right to Work" State. If Governor Walker survives the recall I think the 2013 budget won't include the legislation. But if he wins again in 2014 and the Republicans are still controlling the Senate and Assembly you may see some dramatic changes. A lot of union employees and retired union members supported the current budget and the changes to collective bargaining for public workers. I want to see what they have to say if they are attacked next and their standard of living erodes.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2710 users online. 170 members and 2540 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X