X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assembly Bill -127

2011, AB-127

Here are some of the highlights:

Protective Services would be mandated to pay the “employee” share into the Wisconsin Retirement System. The employee contribution is currently 5.8% of our wage.

We, Protective Services, would not be able to bargain over health insurance. That means the employer would pick the plan and benefit levels. Also, the employer could require employees to pay premiums of up to 10% if they offered a HSA or up to 25% of the premium if they did not offer a HSA.

The employer would not be required to collect union dues. This would require the union or association to collect dues from its members instead of them coming off your check.

Police could not bargain over sub-contracting, shared services, or consolidation.

The total compensation for employees could not annually exceed 1% over the average cost of living for the prior three years. This prohibits the City from providing a pay increase to its employees to offset any increases from pension or health insurance contributions.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by AI_guy; 05-12-2011, 05:54 PM.

I think it is junk!!! For various reasons one of them being we have bargined and worked hard for what we have and they should not be able to just take it away with the stroke of a pen. I can guess if this passes there will be A LOT more warnings written than tickets- hit the cities where it hurts!

Comment

As a MN cop I would be happy with this law. I'd end up with a lot more money in my pocket. But i can understand the unhappines. Hang in there.... I imagine things will get worse.

Comment

Originally posted by sigcopper View Post
        As a MN cop I would be happy with this law. I'd end up with a lot more money in my pocket. But i can understand the unhappines. Hang in there.... I imagine things will get worse.
        I'm actually not unhappy with this bill. We all knew it was coming. For me, its not contributing 5.8% to my retirement. I've never understood why we don't have to contribute to our own retirement. I'm more concerned about taking away collective bargaining. I guess, for the last 16 years that's the way we did business. It'll be hard to embrace something new.

I'm willing to give this a try for a while (while I finish my degree). If I take it in the shorts, I'll sadly vote democrat for the first time in my life, next election.

Comment

Its interesting that this bill was floated by a Progressive Independent and has very limited support amongst Republicans. Even Walker has said he'd veto it if it got to his desk.
          Originally posted by kontemplerande
          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
            Even Walker has said he'd veto it if it got to his desk.
            I haven't been able to find anything indicating that Walker has even commented on this bill. Do you have a source for this? I've been waiting to hear what the governor has to say.

Comment

Originally posted by AI_guy View Post
              I haven't been able to find anything indicating that Walker has even commented on this bill. Do you have a source for this? I've been waiting to hear what the governor has to say.
              It was actually before this bill was introduced. It was shortly after the Democrats returned to Wisconsin and were rattling the saber's about introducing a bill to include police and fire in the collective bargaining law. He said that there were different laws and statutory obligations to police and fire fighters that made it impractical to include them. I'll have to do some digging because there's been so much rhetoric since its hard to find. Nobody continually quotes him over and over when he says something contrary to the evil image they like to give him.

Comment

Well just like I said our ability to bargain was affected by the Budget Repair Bill. This will now just flush our abilities right down the toilet.

Comment

A friend is a teacher in WI and the district she works for is in tough financial trouble. Over the next two years the district will be in debt 500,000 bucks. They have already made cuts to sports, sold busses and cut the teacher's budgets and this was before they were going to be further in debt. So, the district called the state and asked for suggestions. They were told that since there are no teacher unions they could cut pay. The teachers are now looking at a 10 percent cut in pay. Another district is cutting pay by 18 percent. Nice.

I dont think a COLA is in their near future.

I failed to mention this teacher has been in the district for 26 years, has a MA degree and makes $49,626 a year. My point is even though the new law states raises are to held to COLA the state wont be helping schools counties or cities out like it did in the past so wages have to fall.
                  Last edited by sigcopper; 05-18-2011, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Wisconsin lawmakers have re-opened the fight over collective bargaining rights.

The Legislature's budget committee voted early Friday morning to require newly hired police and firefighters to pay more for their health insurance and pension benefits.

The change was approved by the Republican-controlled committee on an 11-4 party line vote. It would force police and firefighters to make the same level of contributions that other public workers would be required to make under a bill pushed by Republican Gov. Scott Walker and passed by the Legislature in March.

Police and firefighters were exempt under that bill.

That measure also took away nearly all collective bargaining rights from state workers. It was voided by a circuit court judge last month and hasn't taken effect.

Any comment SRT?

Comment

Wisconsin lawmakers have re-opened the fight over collective bargaining rights.

The Legislature's budget committee voted early Friday morning to require newly hired police and firefighters to pay more for their health insurance and pension benefits.

The change was approved by the Republican-controlled committee on an 11-4 party line vote. It would force police and firefighters to make the same level of contributions that other public workers would be required to make under a bill pushed by Republican Gov. Scott Walker and passed by the Legislature in March.

Police and firefighters were exempt under that bill.

That measure also took away nearly all collective bargaining rights from state workers. It was voided by a circuit court judge last month and hasn't taken effect.

Any comment SRT?
                      "I have met with the Governor, the chief of staff - Keith Gilkes, the senate majority leader - Scott Fitzgerald and the speaker of the assembly - Jeff Fitzgerald, regarding this legislation. To speak in even greater detail, all four of the aforementioned have stated that the bill is 'DEAD ON ARRIVAL.' I want to be very clear on this so everyone understands: ASSEMBLY BILL 127 IS DEAD." - David Seager, President, Milwaukee Professional Firefighters Association.

The only thing that happened today was the Joint Finance Committee passed it on to the next committee to vote on. That's it. Further, even if this bill passes (it doesn't look like it will) it only affects people hired after the effective date.

Comment

**** poor to sell out future cops. I realize it passed the JF. But, it passed on a party line.

Comment

**** poor to sell out future cops. I realize it passed the JF. But, it passed on a party line.
                          I actually agree.

However, if it has to come to be, it would be better to make it applicable to people before get into the job. They'd sign on knowing what the score will be.

Comment

I'm going to have to save this. You finally agree with something I wrote!

Comment

Originally posted by SRT936 View Post
                              I actually agree.

However, if it has to come to be, it would be better to make it applicable to people before get into the job. They'd sign on knowing what the score will be.
                              It might sound selfish, but I agree too. It just makes more sense having the new people, who will be in the system for the next 25-30 years, contribute more toward their retirement.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4044 users online. 255 members and 3789 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X