300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisconsin DOJ/DCI Special Agent

I see they posted for a special agent position. Anyone have any insight on what they do, how they operate...etc? I assume they operate similarly to MN's BCA? Forgive me if I sound naive, I don't know much about this agency. PM's are welcome. I am mostly interested in working narcotics.

The DCI is broke down into what is essentially four bureaus.

The Investigative Services Bureau provides specialized assistance to agents and local law enforcement. The Crime Lab, ICAC unit, Computer Crimes Unit, WSIC and the ViCAP program are run by this bureau.

The Gaming Bureau supports local law enforcement efforts to curtail the spread of illegal gambling within Wisconsin. The bureau investigates allegations of gaming-related crime and assists local law enforcement in meeting its responsibility to enforce state gambling laws. The bureau is also charged with investigating allegations of criminal activity in existing forms of legal gaming in the State of Wisconsin.

The Administrative Services Bureau provides administrative and specialized technical support services to the Division of Criminal Investigation and to law enforcement agencies statewide. The Administrative Services Bureau also has a "cold case" unit, which assists agencies in resolving unsolved homicides around Wisconsin. This unit also has the State Fire Marshal's office.

The Field Operations Bureau is where most of the special agents get assigned. They conduct Narcotic, Financial Crimes, Public Integrity (essentially internal affairs for all state groups), and the Violent Crime unit.

The last I heard, most of the openings are in Financial Crimes. The state is also expecting a number of retirements and early leaves due to the collective bargaining bill and the sick time conversion that's coming down the pike.

They are more limited in scope than Minnesota's BCA.
    Originally posted by kontemplerande
    Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

SRT396,

Forgive me, what is the sick leave conversion?

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeDoctor View Post
        SRT396,

Basically you cash in your unused sick time at the time of retirement to help pay for your health care after retirement. There has been talk of the state basically eliminating the sick leave.

This is one of the perks of working for the state. The pay may suck but some of the fringe benefits are nice.

And yes, many police officers from different state agencies are retiring right now. I work for a relatively small agency and I can count 8-9 for sure that will go within the next couple months.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeDoctor View Post
          SRT396,

Certain state groups are allowed to bank their sick time like a health care savings account for retirement. Under the new plan, the state is converting all sick time to straight leave hours without the ability to bank the hours for use after retirement. A lot of guys that are close to retirement or have enough years banked are pulling the plug before the conversion so they can keep the benefit.
          Originally posted by kontemplerande
          Without Germany, you would not have won World War 2.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I see they have a few duty stations posted throughout WI. Are you able to request a placement or do they just place you where they see fit? Any DCI people on here? If so, send me a PM, I have plenty of annoying questions

Comment

They ask you to rank which office's you would like to work in, but they will place elsewhere is the agency pleases. It is wherever they may have open spots. I know someone who works there.

Comment

Seems like it would be an interesting job...

Comment

I know that their applications are through the roof (even more so than most LE agencies). Unless you are a veteran undercover detective for Milwaukee PD, don't be disappointed when they tell you that you are ranked #600 on the hiring list for the one position they have open.

Comment

lame...I would still like to get a hold of a DCI agent that wouldn't mind getting their brain picked for 30 min or so. I have a lot of questions.

Comment

So who got scores and rankings back? I'm ranked 61. Thats not bad if there is 1200 applicants if there are 100 not so good!!! Anyone else??

Comment

I'm right behind you 3232, I came in at 64.

Comment

Cool,.....I just wanted to know how many that was out of. For the few opeings they have I'm not feeling too hopeful!

Comment

Last time I applied (the most recent announcement befote this one) I heard that their were 450 names on the eligibilty list. I know they conducted interviews to around the top 115 or so. I have not yet heard how many made the list this time around. Did you hear how many they plan to hire?

Comment

I'm just curious what type of investigative experience you guys have (3232 and Snakedoctor) to be ranked in the 60s. I have very limited investigative experience but applied just to see what would happen. Obviously I ranked well below both of you but just curious what you guys are bringing to the table.
                              Thanks!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6582 users online. 361 members and 6221 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X