300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paying for the academy

For those of you funding yourself through a wisconsin academy, how are you paying for it? All the academies I know operate M-F 8-4 (or thereabout). Have you saved up, working nights, quit your previous job? What's your story? If there are similar threads, point me in the right direction- no luck w/ the search bar.

I used my GI Bill to cover it.

Comment

Over 20 years ago I put myself through the academy. Granted back "in the day" it was only 320 hours, but it wasn't any cheaper than it is now. I quit a full-time job, saved money and worked part-time on the weekends. It was a risk, but one of the best decisions I ever made. Jump in with both feet and don't look back.

Comment

At the risk of sounding very lame, my parents are going to foot the bill for me. I am purchasing all the gear and equipment, including a firearm, but I'm lucky to have their support...couldn't do it without them. I go to school full time and work evenings and weekends during the summer months, which will allow me to do the M-F 7am-4pm academy.

Comment

I saved up for a few months prior, and then worked Saturday every week to supplement my savings. Doesn't mean I didn't run up a little debt, but nothing a few shifts couldn't fix.

Also, some colleges are running academy classes once a week in combination with an Associate's Degree program. Just an extra option
          "I would suggest that when a person has a thought of doing anything serious against the law, that before they did, that they should go to a quiet place and think about it seriously."

William George Bonin - Executed in Calfornia Feb 23rd 1996

Comment

I just tossed it on top of student loans. Worked out very well since the academy was a required portion of my minor. Lived in the dorms at one school while attending the academy at a different school. Thanks co-op! Saved me a lot of headaches and money.
            sigpic

Comment

I was lucky to have my grandparent take out a loan for my cost. I paid them back after graduation.

Comment

I work a seasonal job that is only open from the end of February to mid September. I picked the FVTC academy that started in Sept and ran through December. So I got to collect unemployment from my seasonal job while going to the academy full time, can't beat that! After all that I got a 2500 dollar education tax credit back for the tuition + gear I spent for the academy. It wasn't the full amount back but 2500 dollars back almost covered the Academy course fee.

Comment

I used my GI Bill & saved up 8 mos worth of living expenses. Glad I got hired around month 7...lol
                  LOST:
                  Individual Responsibility
                  If found, please return to society.

Comment

Hey PDLPR8 and Rblake: Did you use the Federal GI Bill or the WI GI Bill to fund the academy?

Comment

I used both. I received full time pay from the MGIB & the WI GI Bill eliminated all but about $600 from the $3k academy (at a WI technical college).
                      LOST:

Comment

Same here: I just got off AD, now reserve. I used Post 911 and WI GI. You can also apply for REAP (reserve enlisted assistance program) if you're drilling. Also, if you have a good ESO, you could use tuition assistance. I couldn't because its a "certification program", but check with your ESO. Don't forget you get E5 BAH while enrolled which is a big $help$.

Comment

Originally posted by PDLPR8 View Post
                          Same here: I just got off AD, now reserve. I used Post 911 and WI GI. You can also apply for REAP (reserve enlisted assistance program) if you're drilling. Also, if you have a good ESO, you could use tuition assistance. I couldn't because its a "certification program", but check with your ESO. Don't forget you get E5 BAH while enrolled which is a big $help$.
                          Thanks for the reply Blake + PDLPR8, I'll have to look more into it because when I contacted my County Veterans Service Office a while back, they told me the WI GI doesn't cover the WI academy. It's good to hear it does contribute, if not pay for most. The CVSO are supposed to be the people in the know!
                          Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Glock 09 View Post
                            Thanks for the reply Blake + PDLPR8, I'll have to look more into it because when I contacted my County Veterans Service Office a while back, they told me the WI GI doesn't cover the WI academy. It's good to hear it does contribute, if not pay for most. The CVSO are supposed to be the people in the know!
                            Thanks again.
                            It won't cover the actual academy fee (mine was $600), but it covers the full amount of the WI Technical College's tuition.

In my experience, the veteran's contacts at colleges knew VERY little about veteran's services. The county contacts knew slightly more than that. Honestly, you need to ask other veterans questions, check the info for yourself online and know as much as you can for your self. Of the 10 or so different veteran's contacts I've had experience with, ONE knew enough to answer more than basic questions with any detail.

Tons more info @ the link below.
                            http://dva.state.wi.us/ben_education.asp

AND here:
                            http://www.dva.state.wi.us/webForms/...l%29_Color.pdf
                            Last edited by Rblake; 03-28-2011, 11:53 PM.
                            LOST:

Comment

Interviewed today for WCTC's academy, and with 90+ applicants for 14 spots I'm now more worried about getting in than I am about paying for it!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6353 users online. 353 members and 6000 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X