300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Madison PD Written / Physical

Got my letter for the written/physical on October 4th. They are planning to start the recruit school May 2010.

Anyone else?

Jason, Say I'm interested in becoming an officer. Do I need to have a minimum of 60 college credits to be an officer for Madison? I know alot of departments in WI require a college degree. Is any degree needed or do you go by there training?

Thanks, JT

Comment

None needed, that's why I dd it.

At this point, with only a high school education, you are good to apply for Kenosha, Milwaukee, Milwaukee Sheriff / Corrections, Madison PD, Dane County Sheriff. There may be others, but that's all I found.

They will send you through their academy program so you just need to get a 2-yr degree, 60 credits in anything (within 5 years) and not worry about the certification.

Comment

Jason,
        So Lets say I am hired Madison Police on June 15, 2010. I need to obtain a minimum of sixty credits from an accredited school within five years of June, 15, 2010? I know the state patrol says you don't need schooling, at least that's the way they worded it.

If I could get a job as an officer with a county and never need to go to college I'd be in heaven.

Thanks, JT

Comment

When did you mail your app in. I mailed mine at the end of July. I'll let you know Monday when I get home if I'm gonna be there.

Comment

I am taking the written for Madison this Wednesday in Chicago. Submitted my application a month ago. I did get a email that my application reached recruitment but nothing in the mail.

Comment

Originally posted by JTBanks View Post
              Jason,
              If I could get a job as an officer with a county and never need to go to college I'd be in heaven.
              Thanks, JT
              You'll probably be in heaven before that ever happens. I have a 4 year degree in criminal justice and I'm LESB certifiable, and I'm still having difficulty landing a full-time job!

With no training or education in the field, I don't think you'd have any chance of getting hired!

Also, State Patrol does require the 60 college credits within 5 years of being hired. All LE in Wisconsin is overseen by the LESB, and they are the ones who require the 60 credits.

Comment

Thanks, Jeep. Sorry to hear about the bummer job market. Hopefully you find something soon! I need to get my butt into Madison Area Tech.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonT80 View Post
                  None needed, that's why I dd it.

At this point, with only a high school education, you are good to apply for Kenosha, Milwaukee, Milwaukee Sheriff / Corrections, Madison PD, Dane County Sheriff. There may be others, but that's all I found.

They will send you through their academy program so you just need to get a 2-yr degree, 60 credits in anything (within 5 years) and not worry about the certification.
                  Hate to pee on your parade but most departments including the ones mentioned above will not hire someone without an Associates or Bachelors. The guidelines for WI LESB do say 60 credits within 5 years, however I have not heard/seen any that allow new hires to do that. They want the degree in hand, less for them to worry about.

I think the main reason being they may hire someone without 60 credits or a degree and before you know it the 5 years is coming up and the candidate isn't going to make the 60 college credits. That department just wasted the last 4 years training and working with someone who is not going to be certifiable.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnylawman109 View Post
                    Hate to pee on your parade but most departments including the ones mentioned above will not hire someone without an Associates or Bachelors. The guidelines for WI LESB do say 60 credits within 5 years, however I have not heard/seen any that allow new hires to do that. They want the degree in hand, less for them to worry about.

I think the main reason being they may hire someone without 60 credits or a degree and before you know it the 5 years is coming up and the candidate isn't going to make the 60 college credits. That department just wasted the last 4 years training and working with someone who is not going to be certifiable.

About the only time you see people getting hired with less than 60 credits are the people who are a semester or two away from having the requirements, and are currently attending school. Ive seen a few cases of that, mostly when I was going to the tech for police science WAYYY back in the day and had classmates who were attending classes while working full time at a PD somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by JTBanks View Post
                      Jason,

Thanks, JT
                      Why wouldn't you want to go to college? You may never use the stuff you learn in criminal justice or police science courses, but your English and writing courses are essential. Plus, I like knowing I am a little more ed-u-macated than the people I deal with.

If you want to become a cop without any college, you can try down south. Many states (Georgia, North Carolina, and Texas to name a few) don't require any college credits.
                      "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Comment

Originally posted by futureblue63 View Post
                        When did you mail your app in. I mailed mine at the end of July. I'll let you know Monday when I get home if I'm gonna be there.
                        February 25th.

Comment

D: I mailed my application in about 6-8 weeks ago, but I haven't heard anything! Should I be resending it, or has anyone else not heard anything for that length of time??
                          Oh, yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it... or, learn from it!

Comment

Originally posted by Smolla126 View Post
                            D: I mailed my application in about 6-8 weeks ago, but I haven't heard anything! Should I be resending it, or has anyone else not heard anything for that length of time??
                            I sent mine in at the end of July and haven't heard anything.

Comment

Maybe you were too late and will have to wait until the next recruitment period. I'm also pretty sure you can call them and ask on the status of your application and where you are.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5746 users online. 309 members and 5437 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X