300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best WI Police Dept.?

What in your opionion would be one of the higher end Law Enforcment Agencies in Wisconsin and why? Also, I am looking into Madison POlice Department or Waukesha POlice Department, these any good? Thanks

Your first question is really impossible to answer unless you have worked for the department.

Department #A may seem like a great department because they have awesome equipment and training, but they could have supervisors like Forrest Gump.

Department #B may lack new equipment, but they might have excellent supervisors.

Department #C may have good equipment and supervisors, but the patrol staff could be a bunch of bitter, backstabbing individuals.

It's really hard to tell these things unless you work there.
    "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Comment

Agreed, this question is utterly impossible to answer. Attempting to answer it will only result in bickering and boiling bad blood, and therefore, it shouldn't even be tried in my opinion.

Example: The Wisconsin State Patrol is the best LE agency in the state.
      A- "Yeah, if you like traffic..."
      B- "We don't JUST do traffic..."
      A- "Well, I also heard about this one trooper in another thread..."

And so on. It cannot be discerned. It's different from person to person, based on what your friends tell you they've heard, and your own experiences/views.

Pick an area in which you'd like to work. Imagine if you'd like to be in a smaller town, rural county, mid-sized city, larger city, etc. Wisconsin has them all. Start with that, and not what people on an internet forum say.

These days, with such competition for southeast Wisconsin LE jobs, you can't be department-specific and expect to be fine. You've got to go where you get hired. Feel free to apply with an agency you like, but don't rely on one application otherwise you'll be quickly disappointed.

Comment

Do a search for "Madison Police Department" here and you will find 5 or 6 threads.
        "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Comment

Everyone has pretty solid advice on here. I work for City of Milwaukee and I think one of the best things about it is there are so many specialty units to get into. You could literally work 25 years for the same department but do 10 different jobs within the agency. Not to mention there are 7 "different" cities within the city. (districts) But if you don't have any desire to do anything but patrol or encounter a higher volume of shootings, armed robberies in progress etc then Milwaukee isn't for you. I would say for me the hardest thing about working for Milwaukee is alot of the neighborhoods the people don't even care what happens which makes it hard for the police to care....

just my thoughts

Comment

I've gone to a few classes with some Waukesha guys. Good guys that had good things to say about their department. Nice area, fair amount of activity. Decent size department. I'm not sure if the information is still correct, but it used to be that whatever your percentage scores for your physical agility are at time of hire is what you have to maintain throughout your career. So if you score 92% on your 1/5 mile run you have to maintain that 92% until retirement. But that's been @14 years since I looked into that.

Madison has a fair amount going on. Pretty diverse, liberal area. Good department from what I know.

Comment

Originally posted by candog View Post
              Everyone has pretty solid advice on here. I work for City of Milwaukee and I think one of the best things about it is there are so many specialty units to get into. You could literally work 25 years for the same department but do 10 different jobs within the agency. Not to mention there are 7 "different" cities within the city. (districts) But if you don't have any desire to do anything but patrol or encounter a higher volume of shootings, armed robberies in progress etc then Milwaukee isn't for you. I would say for me the hardest thing about working for Milwaukee is alot of the neighborhoods the people don't even care what happens which makes it hard for the police to care....

just my thoughts
              I agree 100%, MPD is a great department. I left in 2000 after 6 years. Worked in Dist 7, sq76R, 287R (special car) then Dist 1 radar car (favor for Lt Gaglione), then motorcycle unit.

The biggest problem for me was having to live in the city. IMHO not the best place to raise a family.

Every department has their pro's and con's. I work for a waukesha county department now. The department is great. Good supervisors, good equipment, and above average training. BUT the old boy mentality is DEEP. They sure don't like people with other experience.

Comment

I heard the town of Kohler is in the toilet.
                I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

I believe that Green Bay is the highest paid in the state. I've been told that by a couple of guys. I would rather work for a small department though.
                  "My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

Comment

Ashwaubenon Dept. of Public Safety is a cool department. If you work for them you are a cop, a firefighter, and an EMT. You rotate jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by x5150x View Post
                      Ashwaubenon Dept. of Public Safety is a cool department. If you work for them you are a cop, a firefighter, and an EMT. You rotate jobs.
                      One of the departments I work PT for has considered this option. They're set to lose a lucrative EMS contract with a neighboring area in a few years, and the municipality doesn't generate a lot of EMS or fire calls. They've looked at the idea of pairing Public Safety Officers with volunteers.

Comment

Originally posted by bajakirch View Post
                        One of the departments I work PT for has considered this option. They're set to lose a lucrative EMS contract with a neighboring area in a few years, and the municipality doesn't generate a lot of EMS or fire calls. They've looked at the idea of pairing Public Safety Officers with volunteers.
                        Hey Kirch! I'd give a call to Ashwaubenon first...I do believe state law does not allow the formation of NEW public safety (all-inclusive) departments. ADPS was grandfathered in.

Comment

Interesting...I hadn't heard that.

Comment

Originally posted by bajakirch View Post
                            Interesting...I hadn't heard that.
                            I went to Chief school with their Chief...He's very cool and I'm sure he'd take the time to talk to you about it. Let me know if you need his contact info.

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
                              I heard the town of Kohler is in the toilet.
                              Ha! I just got that.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4579 users online. 279 members and 4300 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X