Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

State Patrol 2009 Recruitment CANCELLED!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State Patrol 2009 Recruitment CANCELLED!

Just heard from Cathie Cunningham from the DOT.

NO 2009 Recruitment!

Originally posted by Jinxman View Post
    Just heard from Cathie Cunningham from the DOT.

NO 2009 Recruitment!

Sorry to hear that. Try to get in somewhere and keep getting more experience in the meantime. This doesn't particularly suprise me with the budget in the mess it is. However, keep checking back.....we're going to need a lot of new bodies to fill the spots with the plans on the drawing board. Also, there are so many retirements recently and upcoming that we will desperately need new people soon.

Comment

Last edited by habeas corpus; 02-03-2009, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by habeas corpus View Post
        Hi ya Niner! What type of plans are on the drawing board? Maybe getting the WSP troopers/inspectors numbers more in line with the state population numbers? Know the ratio is really low when compared to neighboring states.
        With the changing of some highways to interstate on the east side of the state, they will need 24 hour coverage with that. That is not being done now. In fact, the east siders have more traffic than the west, but are patrolling for somewhat limited hours in some areas.

The milwaukee area has been a hot topic for some time now. Whether we will finally start patrolling it is yet to be seen. Frankly, I think MPD and the county does a good job on their own, but they get strapped for manpower...something we are all facing.

With the initiative towards tougher drunken driving laws and enforcement to back it up, Troopers are obviously right there on the forefront with that effort. Troops are being asked to work non-traditional shifts and cover different regions where the statistics show problem trends, especially alcohol related issues.

With the pitiful amount of troopers here in the state, obviously that would be a huge step in curbing some of the OWI's.

Minnesota did a very proactive maneuver when they agreed to allow their equivalent of the tavern league to keep bars open later....only if they help fund 50 new troopers. Can you imagine someone in WI actually making that stance. They'd get laughed out of the room because of the clout the tavern league has here. That being said, one way or another things have to change. Whether our enforcement scope gets broadened (sobriety checkpoints, etc) or more people are put on the road...something is going to happen here. Remember the politics of it all however. You will hear of counties or cities wanting the extra manpower to take measures curbing OWI's, stating they can do it better, etc. There is only so much $$ to go around and the troopers rarely get a large chunk of that.

So am I optimistic? Yes, but cautiously. We need more cops in general. The cities and counties around us are feeling the stress we've been under now for years. Things are going to happen quickly with all the changes going on, politically and agency-wide especially. So if your name is not yet in the ring, get it there and be ready to take those tests and go to the academy. It seems to happen at a quick pace when they decide to go forth with a new class. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Niner View Post
          With the changing of some highways to interstate on the east side of the state, they will need 24 hour coverage with that.
          I haven't heard about this. What highways are getting switched over to the Interstate designation?
          "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Comment

US 41 got the go ahead. Next ones to happen...we've heard talk of 51 from the I to Hurley, 53 from Eau Claire to Superior, amd there was a couple more.

Comment

I could see USH 53 changing easily, at least until Washburn County since it is all on/off ramps until that point anyway. The Eau Claire bypass is probably the best thing the Wisconsin DOT has done in the past 50 years. I HATED driving through Eau Claire on the way to see family up north. It took so long.
              "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Comment

Originally posted by Badgerland View Post
                I could see USH 53 changing easily, at least until Washburn County since it is all on/off ramps until that point anyway. The Eau Claire bypass is probably the best thing the Wisconsin DOT has done in the past 50 years. I HATED driving through Eau Claire on the way to see family up north. It took so long.
                I agree, especially about eau claire. That used to be such a cluster getting up north through there.
                Now if only the highway designers could take some lessons from the germans and make them all more efficient and made to last more than 10 years. It's sad how much repair needs to be done to the highways that seemed like were just laid down a couple years ago.

Comment

Isn't it true that the number of troopers (not inspectors) is limited by state statute to something like 300? I don't know how many troopers are actually on the job, but wouldn't the statute need to be changed to significantly increase the number of troopers on the road?

Comment

Originally posted by bajakirch View Post
                    Isn't it true that the number of troopers (not inspectors) is limited by state statute to something like 300? I don't know how many troopers are actually on the job, but wouldn't the statute need to be changed to significantly increase the number of troopers on the road?
                    Yes, I was told that by state statute there is a certain amount of troopers allowed only. I don't know what the exact amount is off hand. I think that was something that was drawn up years ago.

I would imagine that WSP is quite a few troopers short right now to even get to that point.

Comment

Originally posted by CPD38 View Post
                      Yes, I was told that by state statute there is a certain amount of troopers allowed only. I don't know what the exact amount is off hand. I think that was something that was drawn up years ago.

I would imagine that WSP is quite a few troopers short right now to even get to that point.
                      Yes, it feels as though we are very shortmanned right now. I have not seen the latest numbers, even though we know we are not at full capacity. There has been so much movement of priorities on where new troopers are placed.

We are given 399 plus one (colonel) plus another appointed (superintendant). Out of those we have over 100 people taking up road positions because they are 'supervisors'. Sergeants DO NOT work the road. The promotions have continued, yet the road manpower has struggled. That is seen as a huge problem by the troopers. The population has increased, as well as the miles driven and vehicles on the road, yet we do not increase.

We are not legislatively limited on the number of inspectors we have, even though they have the same authority as troopers. They primarily work the hours between 6am-6pm, holidays off, total of one weekend a month yet receive the same benefits and pay as us. As I write this I am now contemplating transferring to one of these positions!!!!!!!
                      They are pretty sharp cookies though, and have to keep on top of state statutes as well as federal regulations regarding trucks. But then again they deal with trucks all day.

Comment

Originally posted by Niner View Post
                        US 41 got the go ahead. Next ones to happen...we've heard talk of 51 from the I to Hurley, 53 from Eau Claire to Superior, amd there was a couple more.
                        51/39 and 39/90 should have been an interstate for a long time... considering that stretch of road runs from Hurley alllllllll they way through the state and into Rockford, Illinois...
                        sigpic

Comment

I think this is pretty much par for the course to not see any new hirees coming in at a LOT of departments. It's just going to be more obvious at the State Patrol seeing how big they are.

Hopefully, this economy will turn around soon enough, and the lawmakers in Madison will start looking to balance the budget.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8351 users online. 319 members and 8032 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                          X