Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WI Police Academy.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • WI Police Academy.

    Hello all,

    Well, I will be starting the 520 hour police academy next Monday. Anyway, I'm pretty nervous, and was wondering if any LEO's could give me some advice to make these 13 weeks go smoothly.

    Also, is there anyway that I can help prepare myself for the DAAT, EVOC, and Firearms?

    Thanks much!

    Jeff
    Last edited by JLH81; 09-03-2008, 12:48 AM. Reason: Poor grammar.

  • #2
    Originally posted by JLH81 View Post
    Hello all,

    Well, I will be starting the 520 hour police academy next Monday. Anyway, I'm pretty nervous, and was wondering if any LEO's could give me some advice to make these 13 weeks go smoothly.

    Also, is there anyway that I can help prepare myself for the DAAT, EVOC, and Firearms?

    Thanks much!

    Jeff
    For EVOC, stock up on Dramamine! I was just fine when I was driving, but riding in the back seat during the serpentine and the hard braking was enough to twist my stomach. Firearms, don't do a thing. If you have shot before, go into the class with a completely open mind willing to learn. I've always been a decent rifle shot, but not really good with a handgun. I went into firearms pretending I didn't know anything about shooting a gun. I was probably the best or second best shot in the class by the time we were done. Just a little hint, handguns have magazines; clips= push-ups for us. If you have the habit of calling a magazine a clip, get it out of your system right now.
    DAAT for me was a fun class. If you have a DAAT manual available to you, read through it. Don't worry so much about the learning the physical acts, but study the control options and know what uses of force fit where. If you don't have a DAAT manual forget anything I just mentioned. Also, lots and llots of deoderant. The classroom gets pretty stinky by the end of the day.
    Good Luck, and have fun.
    "My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

    Comment


    • #3
      I am 3 weeks ahead of you in the 520 hour basic recruit academy. Mine started on August 18th. My academy is very laid back. We are allowed to have food and drinks in class. The biggest issue I've had so far is staying awake during some of the long lectures. Other than that, the instructors will take your hand and walk you through all the hands on activities. Don't be afraid to ask questions. The tests are pretty easy if you have a degree in Criminal Justice. Finally, the most important thing to me is being sociable. Get to know your classmates. I'm having a great time since I've been able to joke with most of my classmates.
      Last edited by jeepinwi; 09-09-2008, 08:57 PM. Reason: inaccurate statements removed

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by jeepinwi View Post
        I am 3 weeks ahead of you in the 520 hour basic recruit academy. Mine started on August 18th. My academy is very laid back. We are allowed to have food and drinks in class. The biggest issue I've had so far is staying awake during some of the long lectures. Other than that, the instructors will take your hand and walk you through all the hands on activities. Don't be afraid to ask questions. The tests are pretty easy if you have a degree in Criminal Justice. It doesn't matter if you get 71% or 100%, it only takes 70% to pass. You aren't any more special if your an overachiever. Finally, the most important thing to me is being sociable. Get to know your classmates. I'm having a great time since I've been able to joke with most of my classmates.
        If you're only giving 70% at your job, I don't want you watching my back 70% of the time giving 70% in a fight, showing up 70% of the time or knowing only 70% of the law... giving 100% or more does make a difference. People talk informally about candidates...

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jeepinwi View Post
          I am 3 weeks ahead of you in the 520 hour basic recruit academy. Mine started on August 18th. My academy is very laid back. We are allowed to have food and drinks in class. The biggest issue I've had so far is staying awake during some of the long lectures. Other than that, the instructors will take your hand and walk you through all the hands on activities. Don't be afraid to ask questions. The tests are pretty easy if you have a degree in Criminal Justice. It doesn't matter if you get 71% or 100%, it only takes 70% to pass. You aren't any more special if your an overachiever. Finally, the most important thing to me is being sociable. Get to know your classmates. I'm having a great time since I've been able to joke with most of my classmates.
          WOW! I could not disagree with you more! When it comes time to get a job, do you think the instructor is going to remember who just barely passed and who excelled. I would like to see the standards raised to 90% instead of 70%. In this job you need to get it right more than 70% of the time.
          JLH please don't listen to Jeep. Do your absolute best, and ask lots of questions. Don't be afraid to study stuff outside of class. Ask your instructors for a book list of things to read about. I would recommend reading books on Verbal Judo. Wisconsin teaches a form of Verbal Judo, but they have a different name for it, and they use different acrynoms. Please don't be happy with 70%. Strive for 100%. These instructors will be talking to your future employers and they will not forget the slacker in class who just floated by on 70%.
          "My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mooseyard View Post
            WOW! I could not disagree with you more! When it comes time to get a job, do you think the instructor is going to remember who just barely passed and who excelled. I would like to see the standards raised to 90% instead of 70%. In this job you need to get it right more than 70% of the time.
            JLH please don't listen to Jeep. Do your absolute best, and ask lots of questions. Don't be afraid to study stuff outside of class. Ask your instructors for a book list of things to read about. I would recommend reading books on Verbal Judo. Wisconsin teaches a form of Verbal Judo, but they have a different name for it, and they use different acrynoms. Please don't be happy with 70%. Strive for 100%. These instructors will be talking to your future employers and they will not forget the slacker in class who just floated by on 70%.
            Yes, your instructor and academy director will remember you and will tell the background investigator when they do the background. If everything is even who do you think a department will hire? Some who put in 100% or someone who put in 70%. I have read plenty of background investigations - a lazy loaf this early in your career means even a more lazy loaf later in their career. Work your ***** off in the academy, you will be happy you did.

            WICop

            Comment


            • #7
              I apologize for my post. Obviously, I worded a couple of my statements very poorly. I probably could have summed it up in one sentence as Although the minimum standard on the written tests is 70%, striving for 100% will help you in many ways down the road.

              While I choke on my own foot, I did find out today that the person who scores highest on the tests gets recognized at the graduation ceremony. Same goes for the person who demonstrates the best marksmanship in firearms.

              To better answer the original question...To do better in DAAT and EVOC, reading the manuals ahead of time is a definite advantage. EVOC is difficult to prepare for unless you know the techniques and procedures that will be taught. The day before DAAT, be sure to eat healthy and drink plenty of liquids. My class had a day of yoga and pilates that really showed how out of shape most of the class is. As for firearms, repetition, repetition, repetition. If you have your own firearm, practice dry firing, magazine exchanges, and drawing the weapon. It would be best if you have a firearms manual so you can practice the techniques as taught in the academy.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jeepinwi View Post
                I apologize for my post. Obviously, I worded a couple of my statements very poorly. I probably could have summed it up in one sentence as Although the minimum standard on the written tests is 70%, striving for 100% will help you in many ways down the road.

                While I choke on my own foot, I did find out today that the person who scores highest on the tests gets recognized at the graduation ceremony. Same goes for the person who demonstrates the best marksmanship in firearms.

                To better answer the original question...To do better in DAAT and EVOC, reading the manuals ahead of time is a definite advantage. EVOC is difficult to prepare for unless you know the techniques and procedures that will be taught. The day before DAAT, be sure to eat healthy and drink plenty of liquids. My class had a day of yoga and pilates that really showed how out of shape most of the class is. As for firearms, repetition, repetition, repetition. If you have your own firearm, practice dry firing, magazine exchanges, and drawing the weapon. It would be best if you have a firearms manual so you can practice the techniques as taught in the academy.
                Humility, hard work and the ability to recognize a mistake and correct mistakes are some of the first steps in becoming a successful employee. Give everything you do 110% will get you further in life than you can imagine. I hope the misworded statement was just that. If not, I hope a change in attitude stays with you for the rest of your life not just because postings on the internet are available forever.

                Comment


                • #9
                  As someone who is in week 3 of 13, I can tell you that being overall ready to STUDY, and to read A LOT of material in a short amount of time is your best way to prepare. Im seeing it time and time again where a new class starts the next day, and it's an hour before bedtime before I realize that the new topic's manual is 130 pages long, and I need ot get it read before I can go to sleep.

                  I also recommend brushing up on search and seizure laws if you've had any experience with LEO education (2 year or bachelor's degree program) and try and refresh your memory about when and where you can search without a warrant, and under what circumstances. Search incident to arrest, exigent circumstances, fruit of the poisonous tree doctrine, carrol search, terry stop/frisk, and a few other things I cant remember off the top of my head are all things you will need to know like the back of your hand. Im finding out in scenarios that you use these items more often than you would think.

                  If your academy is anything like my academy, also be sure to have some professional looking attire, and be ready for pushups/running, calling everyone sir or maam, and shouting "instructor in the room" and standing at attention anytime anyone who isn't a classmate comes into the room.

                  Academy will be tough and absolutely fascinating all at the same time. You're learning a TON of info in only 13 weeks. You need to be ready to absorb that info in very short periods of time. GOOD LUCK!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    How was your week 1? Do you wear uniforms? How about disciplinary push ups and morning workouts? Tell me what YOUR academy is like.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by firemanmatt View Post
                      How was your week 1? Do you wear uniforms? How about disciplinary push ups and morning workouts? Tell me what YOUR academy is like.
                      Yeah, I would like to know also!

                      I am looking to go to Chippewa Valley Technical Colleges 520 hour Academy.
                      sigpic
                      A Blog Of My Journey To Become a LEO

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        As someone who has recently completed the 520 in Green Bay, I can tell you that you (should) enjoy they academy quite a bit. Although the state requirements are the same for all of the academies, from what I have heard each academy operates a little different.

                        My week one was alot of administrative tasks, completion of paperwork, and orientation to the field of law enforcement for those who did not have prior education in the field. If all of those in your academy have a solid LE knowledge base, then you might be able to skip that.

                        Our uniforms consisted of a polo shirt embroidered with the academy name and logo, 5.11 tactical pants, duty belt, and hat. We had a tactical training shirt and gym clothes that would be worn when appropriate (and only when you were told to).

                        We did not have any sort of disciplinary push ups, but there was the occasional chewing out if you made an obvious mistake. The GB academy was focused more on helping you learn and identify your own mistakes than to punnish you for doing a bad job. Everyone in our academy treated the experience as a job and showed the respect due our instructors and classmates. However, it was very clear that if you thought that the academy was a game, you would be gone at the drop of the hat.

                        In GB, we had afternoon required workouts. 45 mins of work out time that rotated between running and lifting. Mon, Wed, Fri was running while Tue and Thur was lifting. This pattern alternated every week. Towards the end of the academy, wednesday work out times were designated as scenario training time to help get prepared for week 13.

                        The best advice I can give to those starting the academy is to take it seriously. If you are trying hard and show everyone the respect they deserve, the instructors should be able to help you and train you to make sure you will pass. On the flip side, if you screw around, fall asleep, or pretend that the academy is a giant game of cop's and robber's you will either be kicked out or fail out by week 13.

                        If you pay attention and try your best, you will pass week 13. If you don't give the academy as much effort as you would the job, then you might be in a bit of trouble.

                        If anyone has any other question, feel free to PM me.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          PEPPER SPRAY TODAY! Good times!!!! I rode the pain train and survived! I certainly wouldnt say I enjoyed it, but I went through all three stations of the scenario good enough to get through it as fast as possible. Tasers are voluntary during next week's class on ECD's, but Im goping to ride that pain train too.

                          Comment

                          MR300x250 Tablet

                          Collapse

                          What's Going On

                          Collapse

                          There are currently 4440 users online. 251 members and 4189 guests.

                          Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                          Welcome Ad

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X