300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle fires and the MV4000

For those of you who use TraCS for your reports, I have a question.

A couple days ago we had a vehicle fire. The driver parked her vehicle on a residential street and went inside her house. Vehicle is off, not in transport, and no occupants. She then hears several other people honking their car horns and comes outside to find her vehicle smoking. She calls 911 and then the engine compartment ignites.

After all is said and done, I can't get the stupid TraCS report to validate. It keeps saying "Error: Accident does not involve a motor vehicle in transport." No matter what I change, I either get that error, or several others which I can fix. It's just that I can't get past that ONE error.

Do I have to do an MV4000 for this type of... "accident?" I called a couple buddies but they didn't really know either...
    Last edited by Guams; 08-26-2008, 03:16 AM.
    sigpic

Hey Guams,

From the manual:
    This instruction manual was developed to aid law enforcement officers with completing the scannable Wisconsin Motor Vehicle Accident Report (MV4000) form. Definition: Accident is an occurrence that originates or terminates on a traffic way, which involves at least one motor vehicle in transport, and results in any of the following:
    1. Injury or fatality of a person
    2. Total damage to one person's property to an apparent extent of $1000 or more (refer to back cover for a guide to assist in determining reportability)
    3. Damage to government-owned property to an apparent extent of $200 or more, except government-owned vehicles, which are $1000.

If the vehicle wasn't going anywhere, especially if it was unattended and shut off, you shouldn't have to write a MV4000 on it. I think your TraCS program answered your Sarge's question for him.

On a side note, you have TraCS... I am sooo jealous.
    Wis Statute 947.01: Disorderly Conduct - Whoever, in a public or private place, engages in behavior that is violent, abusive, indecent, profane, boisterous, unreasonably loud, or otherwise acts like a ****ing idiot, is guilty of a Class B misdemeanor.

Comment

We don't use TraCS here (we have something like it)..... but I think we have something similar to what Wisc calls the "MV4000."

I would agree with Freddie (based on what you've stated). Sounds like it was her own vehicle and it was on private property (no other persons' property damaged and no city/county damage).... hence, you would only need to fill out a report for your agency's record and something to make her insurance company happy. Let me know what you ended up doing... I'm curious.
      1*

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie
        On a side note, you have TraCS... I am sooo jealous.
        Thanks Freddie. But, TraCS isn't all that it's cracked up to be. It's amazing when it works... but when it doesn't work you want to throw your car off the nearest cliff.

Originally posted by Chit2001
        We don't use TraCS here (we have something like it)..... but I think we have something similar to what Wisc calls the "MV4000."

I would agree with Freddie (based on what you've stated). Sounds like it was her own vehicle and it was on private property (no other persons' property damaged and no city/county damage).... hence, you would only need to fill out a report for your agency's record and something to make her insurance company happy. Let me know what you ended up doing... I'm curious.
        I'm going to show that definition to my Sergeant tonight, and delete the MV4000... lol.
        sigpic

Comment

Fire

To add to what Freddie said -

From the 1998 edition of the MV 4000 book (that's the newest edition I have)

Page 21, field 9-pointer questions:

Fire: Definition: FIRE is the combustion, explosion or burning of an object. Describe the sequence of the accident events, the fire's origin, and what burned in the narrative. FIRE DOES NOT INCLUDE (emphasis added) those originating in a LEGALLY (emphasis added) parked vehicle.

Your girls vehicle was legally parked, no MV4000.
          Last edited by ray55; 08-25-2008, 07:37 PM. Reason: add info
          He who makes no mistakes, usually makes nothing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Guams View Post
            For those of you who use TraCS for your reports, I have a question.

A couple days ago we had a vehicle fire. The driver parked her vehicle on a residential street and went inside her house. Vehicle is off, not in transport, and no occupants. She then hears several other people honking their car horns and comes outside to find her vehicle smoking. She calls 911 and then the engine compartment ignites.

My Sergeant, unsure of whether or not to do an MV4000, had me do one anyways. After all is said and done, I can't get the stupid report to validate. It keeps saying "Error: Accident does not involve a motor vehicle in transport." No matter what I change, I either get that error, or several others which I can fix. It's just that I can't get past that ONE error.

Do I have to do an MV4000 for this type of... "accident?" I called a couple buddies but they didn't really know either...

Maybe just a standard report for her to file with her insurance company? I can't find the answer at my department... so I'm hoping someone here knows...
            I had a vehicle fire a couple of weeks ago and my supervisors did not have me do an MV4000, just a incident report documenting what happened.

However, about a year or so ago I had an accident where the subjects car started on fire, shutting the car down and causing him to go off the roadway striking a sign. In this case I did the MV4000 since there was property damage.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Trans 100

I really wanted to disagree. Chances are the fire started when the vehicle was in operation. If so, a MV4000 must be completed with the operator listed as the driver. If your investigation can’t prove the fire started while the vehicle was in motion or readiness for motion no MV4000 is needed. If the vehicle was illegally parked, a MV4000 would be appropriate.

The below information was obtained from Trans 100, Accident Reporting and Safety Responsibility.

“Accident” means a happening involving a vehicle that results in damage or injury, including occurrences caused by “acts of God,” negligence or intentional acts.

Trans 100.025 Accident involvement. (1) A vehicle or person shall be considered to have been involved in an accident if any of the following conditions are met:
              (a) The person is injured by an accident.
              (b) The person or the vehicle’s operator commits some act that contributes to cause an accident, regardless of physical contact.
              (c) The vehicle is damaged in an accident.
              (d) The vehicle makes contact with any other person or property and causes damage.
              (e) The vehicle is damaged by a failure of a mechanical or electrical system resulting in fire or accident when it is in use primarily for moving persons or property, including the vehicle itself, from one place to another and is in motion, or in readiness for motion, and is unattended and not legally parked in a designated parking area.
              (f) Property, parts or debris falls from the vehicle and causes an accident.
              (g) A vehicle contacts or avoids debris or property on a roadway that has fallen from another vehicle or is not ordinarily found in a roadway, and causes an accident.
              (h) The vehicle moves without an operator controlling its movements and causes an accident.
              (i) One or more doors or any part of the load of a parked vehicle extends into an adjoining space intended for vehicular travel and an accident occurs as a result of that extension.
              Note: Accidents may be the result of “acts of God,” or negligence or intentional
              acts. s. Trans 100.02 (1).

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6013 users online. 345 members and 5668 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X