Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Residency (hiring) question..

Hello,

I was just wondering if any WI LEO's could help me out with a situation that I'm currently facing. I live in Antioch, IL (which borders WI). Anyway's, I went to a WI UW- University, graduated with a B.A. in CJ. I also did a 208 hour internship with a PD. In addition, I'm going to be putting myself through the Basic Recruit Police Academy (13 weeks full-time self-sponsorship). Here is where my question comes into play:

I ultimately have EVERY intention of moving to WI, but in order to do so, I need to get hired by a PD and or have a decent paying full-time job. This, however, would be hard to do while I'm going through the police academy full-time. I'm hoping that coupled with my credentials and being certifiable, I will have a better shot of getting onto a PD once the academy is done. Anyway's, I was talking to the Police Academy Coordinator yesterday, and he suggested that I claim residency in WI while attending the police academy. My g/f currently lives in Kenosha, WI, so I can claim residency with her (I stay there often anyway's), however, if I still live in IL, will that hamper me big time in getting hired by a PD? I know that most PD's have a residency requirement usually within a year of being hired, but I was wondering if the fact that I'm still currently residing in IL (until I hopefully get picked up) will prevent me from being picked up by a WI PD.

If any LEO's could let me know their thoughts, or what I should do, that would be great. My ultimate goal is to become a WI LEO, and I'm not sure what I should do with my given situation.

Thanks!

P.s. I have just enough money saved up to get through the academy and pay for it, but I am by no means in a position to go rent an apt, or by a house. I was planning on commuting from home every day.

Generally a residency requirement is a mandate for employees of a department. In other words, once you're hired you have to live with in a certain geographical area by a certain time after being hired. There are exceptions to this "rule" but generally that's how it works.
    He who makes no mistakes, usually makes nothing at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ray55 View Post
      Generally a residency requirement is a mandate for employees of a department. In other words, once you're hired you have to live with in a certain geographical area by a certain time after being hired. There are exceptions to this "rule" but generally that's how it works.
      Thanks SO much for your response, Ray. This, too, is what I assumed, that is why I was kind of confused when he told me that. Anyway's, once again, thanks for your response..

Comment

I think you teacher is wrong. I was living in MN and got my first job in WI. Not a big deal. You do have to live in WI to be a WI cop. It isn't like that in MN though. When you get your job, find an apartment, get your WI DL, and good to go.

Comment

The previous posts are spot on..I'd recommend also looking on an agency by agency basis, everyone has different rules. Alot of agencies also have initial (6 month to a year) grace periods.

Comment

I don't think living in IL will hamper you from getting hired in WI. Everyone else is correct and once you get hired in WI, you will have to reside within the residency requirements.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you so set on working for WI LE agency? There are many good agencies in northern IL. Don't limit yourself to just a few places. It is a competive field nowdays and limiting yourself will only put off your dream of becoming LE longer.

Good Luck!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6276 users online. 355 members and 5921 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X