Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gateway Tech Police Academy

Hello,

I was just curious if anyone knew anything about the new police academy at Gateway Tech College in Kenosha, WI? Has anyone gone through the first academy class, or know of someone that did? If so, what were your/their thoughts?

Also, how physically demanding is it? Is there a lot of running involved, or is it pretty much like the rest of the tech colleges?

Any thoughts/advice would be great!

Thanks

Originally posted by JLH81 View Post
    Hello,

I was just curious if anyone knew anything about the new police academy at Gateway Tech College in Kenosha, WI? Has anyone gone through the first academy class, or know of someone that did? If so, what were your/their thoughts?

Also, how physically demanding is it? Is there a lot of running involved, or is it pretty much like the rest of the tech colleges?

Any thoughts/advice would be great!

Thanks
    JLH81,

I attended the first 520 hour police academy at Gateway Technical College this past spring. To evaluate my academy experience is going to be a little difficult because this program was brand new. As I went through the process I could tell the school and coordinators were working out kinks as they came up. We endured countless distractions. Everyday we were interrupted by construction as they built our facility around us. Often as we did book work our teachers would have to pause between nails being hammered and saws cutting. In fact the scenario room wasn't complete until the second to last week of training. Often things seemed disorganized with teachers not showing up or not knowing what exactly to teach. These are things you shouldn't have to worry about.
    With all this said I believe or at least hope for you things will be different. I look back and understand how much work was put into getting the program up and running and it is understandable that problems would come up. I feel you will have a good opportunity to learn a lot about the job. Just stay positive, learn from your mistakes, and stay open minded. Wisconsin implements training procedures that will often be laughed at when you hit the road. Though I feel that I was given a good base to start my FTO process and begin my real training from there.
    If you have any more in-depth questions or need some advice simply PM me.

Comment

What kind of things do you do in the academy?
      What specific things are you trained in and how is it done? ex: Hand-gun training, hand to hand combat, driving, book work, testing etc...

Any recommendations as we hit the books and study?
      How are you typically tested in knowledge retention in the various subjects?

What kind of typical day could we expect? (Even though that seemed like are a rare thing for you.)

Any other recommendations or advice as we prepare to attend the Gateway Academy?

Thanks
      "He is no fool who gives what he can not keep to gain what he can not loose."
      Jim Elliot (Martyred Missionany to Aucca Indains)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5552 users online. 341 members and 5211 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X