Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swearing in ceremony, big deal or no?

Hey guys,

My swearing in ceremony has been scheduled for 8/20 at 10 a.m. I have been told by HR that this is a HUGE ordeal and that I should invite all my family and friends to this.

With this being midweek and in the middle of the day, I don't know if I should be asking people to take an extended break from their jobs to attend this, or if this is something I should keep for just my wife, my daughter, and I. I have guys at my fire department saying they might make the trip from Appleton to be at this as well. I know the top 4 members of my new department will be attending this, as well as HR, possibly the mayor, and whomever is swearing me in that day.

When you were sworn in, was this a huge ordeal to you all where you brought all your family and some close friends, or did you keep it simple? ALSO, would you consider graduation from the 13 week academy a bigger ordeal than this? If there is a ceremony when graduating from the 520 hour course, I would like my dad to be there to pin my badge on me if that's acceptable. Whichever ceremony is more significant is the ceremony I want to make sure my family and friends REALLY attend and not be overburdening (spelling?) them with ceremony after ceremony after ceremony. I also have an award's ceremony for a river rescue I did last September at my current job that I'm supposed to be at on October 1st in Appleton as well, and I was told to invite friends and family to that as well. Long story short, I've always been somewhat modest with my family when it comes to my job, but also don't want to make too big or too little of a deal out of all the stuff coming up in the near future. I certainly want to make a good impression with the top brass on my department that I take things seriously, but also don't take things and blow them out of proportion and make a small ceremony sound like the Queen of England is about to induct me into knighthood.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Matt

Sworn in 3 times and never had any family present. In fact, the first time it wasn't a bid deal....got my badge and a 5 shot wheel gun. The second time, after I paid 80 sum odd bucks for my badge, I filled out my health insurance paper work and that was that. That department was the 3rd largest in the state of WI. The last one was a little bigger deal. If I were you.....wife and daughter and be done with it.

Comment

If you are a fire fighter, why on Earth do you want to be a cop? Are you nuts?

Comment

The swearing-in ceremony for your new department is definitely NOT a big ordeal. I was sworn in there with four others, and no one had any family/friends present. This may be different from when I was sworn in, though, because you have a different chief that I did.

Also, the academy graduation is not that spectacular (mainly because it is quite small), but this would be the time to have your wife and kids present. And then, only briefly.

Don't get caught-up in the department glitz... put on your "blinders" now and don't take them off until you complete the 18-month probationary period. Trust me on that.

Good luck to you! I'll be responding to your PM soon.

- Steve
        "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize... HALF OF THEM ARE STUPIDER THAN THAT!"

- The Late George Carlin

Comment

I'll chime in. I was hired by a smaller So.Cal agency and it was a very tight bunch of officers (Although I didn't know that at the time) It was a big to-do and family was encouraged to attend. They had yearly events and X-mas parties. What I later discovered was that in small departments, where the the Cheif send you an X-mas card, and leaves a note in you box saying "Happy Birthday" Why not, the man ultimately gave me the chance to work for his department, and when I decide to leave they threw me a little party and that same man shook my hand saying "Good luck, and if you change your mind or it doesn't work out, I'll hire you back" my two .oo

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great replies. My parents live in madison (2 1/2 hour drive) and I didnt want them to take vacation (and drive 5 hours round-trip) for a 15 minute ceremony. I'll keep it to immediate family.

No rush on the reply Steve. Sorry I forgot to email you directly. I went through the policies CD yesterday, and that didn't answer my question I asked you, so a reply would still be appreciated when you have a minute.

Comment

Wow, the P&P manual is on a CD now? I just got a huge 5-inch ring binder. Sounds like the command staff finally figured out what do with some of their computers other than accessing the county records system and wilenet -- too bad it took them six years.

I get that reply off to you in a minute or so.
              "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize... HALF OF THEM ARE STUPIDER THAN THAT!"

- The Late George Carlin

Comment

Steve, if you think WPD has a lot of policies with a 5 inch ring binder, you need to work at my fire department. I was looking at them on my laptop at work, and there has to be (literally) about 1/3rd of the policies I currently have to deal with. At AFD, my favorite policy is the "Policy regarding policies and procedures." Yes, we really do have a policy regarding the policies.

Comment

What department get hired by?

Comment

Wausau Police

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2979 users online. 152 members and 2827 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X