300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wv agencies

I see that the WV forum doesn't seem to be that active, but I hope that someone will stumble across this and reply. I am currently a LEO in Texas and moving to WV in the near future. I have been looking at job prospects by checking out agency websites, etc... I just want someone to give me some guidance on where I should be looking, and what agencies to take into consideration. I know the LE community is tight nit, and getting personal information/ opinions from the worker bees helps out tremendously. Like with most people, what attracts me most is the benefits such as: pay, medical benefits, retirement, take-home cars, off-duty jobs, career advancement, and overtime. Are there agencies that will give certification pay for FTO, crash reconstruction/ investigator, breath test operator, Marine Safety Officer, etc... I haven't filled out any applications, and don't plan on just "flooding the area" with them either. Can someone give me insight as to the hiring process for the WVSP. I saw a post that made it sound like WVSP was very hard to get into to. If WVSP is going to be out of reach for me, then I would rather work for a Sheriff's Office rather than a PD. I'm not knocking PDs, but if you have worked for both, then you will understand. Any information is greatly appreciated. Feel free to send me a PM. Thank you!!!!

Best thing to do, is continue to look on WVSP website and check out the testing dates. The WVSP just recently started a speed up training to become a Trooper for prior service. With you already being Texas cert you may be able to apply for the shorter time. Eastern panhandle of West Virginia is extremely busy and Jefferson County Sheriffs Office is one of the top paid agencies in the state. It all depends on where you want to be located. Best of luck in your search/moving to West Virginia.

Comment

Thanks for the reply wvlawman.

Comment

I see people are are viewing this post, but only one has given advice/ suggestions. I am very eager to hear what others have to say too!!!! If you have something to add please do. If you don't want to put it on this forum, please send me a PM. Thanks again!!!

Comment

Depending on where you live in WV, PDs in surrounding border town states may be an option worth looking at. I spoke with an officer earlier in the year who lived in Ohio and worked across the river in WV. No reason you can't do the reverse if you are close enough to a border state. I don't know what kind of money you are making in TX, but there is not a lot of money in WV or in the border towns on the Ohio side of the border - it is a very economically depressed area.

Comment

I am very interested in this thread and would love to see some more feedback. I'm currently a LEO and I'm going to be moving up that way from Virginia in June/ July timeframe. Does anyone have any input for departments located around Morgantown?

Comment

Look at the West Virginia University PD: it is one of the largest police depts in the state.

Comment

Sounds good Joe. I appreciate the help. Do you have any idea what kind of jurisdiction they have outside of the campus itself? I know that here... Norfolk State University PD has it within 1/2 mile around the campus, so I'm just curious.

Comment

I don't have any idea.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3203 users online. 163 members and 3040 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X