300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military PTSD and Psych Exam

I am almost completed with my hiring for PD. My question is, I'm 100% rated for ptsd from the military. Is this an automatic DQ for PD? The psych reps also want a copy of my ptsd exam but isn't this a HIPAA violation?

Nope. No HIPAA violation.

As part of the hiring process you will be required to undergo a psychological examination which evaluates applicants to determine if they are free from any emotional or mental condition that might adversely affect the exercise of the powers of a police officer, and to otherwise ensure that the candidate is capable of withstanding the psychological demands of the position.

Part of that examination involves evaluating your past psych records. Denying access to those records is the same as refusing to participate in the examination process and you will simply be removed from consideration (disqualified).

FWIW, the psych exam is based on your mental state now. Your past history is considered in formulating that evaluation but again, it is your current mental state and not your prior condition that the determination is based on.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Semper Fi, 0311!

With your 100% PTSD rating are you currently employed? I'm assuming you're on 100% disability?

I can't imagine any dept taking someone on with any type of PTSD rating, certainly not 100%, the liability seems unrealistic.

If you did get on by chance, I think the rating would soon be reevaluated and you'd possibly lose your VA check.

I'm curious as to how this goes, stick around.

Comment

Originally posted by NolaT View Post
        Semper Fi, 0311!

With your 100% PTSD rating are you currently employed? I'm assuming you're on 100% disability?

I can't imagine any dept taking someone on with any type of PTSD rating, certainly not 100%, the liability seems unrealistic.

If you did get on by chance, I think the rating would soon be reevaluated and you'd possibly lose your VA check.

I'm curious as to how this goes, stick around.
        Rah devil dog! Yes Im currently working and I'm 100% P&T but can still work.

Comment

So you have 100% PTSD retirement.
          And you want to be a cop.

The first UoF you get into is gonna be a Defense wet dream.

100% means you can’t function under stress.

Comment

Even if you are able to pass the psych now, it would be an absolutely MASSIVE liability risk for any department to hire you. A risk that I seriously doubt that any department would be willing to take on.

As CCCSD has already pointed out, your 100% PTSD disability would be a big deal in the courts- in criminal court, in civil court, and in the court of public opinion known as "social media". And unfortunately, the court of public opinion, even if it's dead wrong, seems to have an unhealthy influence on the criminal and civil courts.

And it could do more than cost your agency a bunch of money or set a criminal free- it could land you in prison for the rest of your life and cost you every penny you'll ever have, even if you didn't do anything wrong.

You've earned your disability pay- just take it, and be good with that...

Comment

Originally posted by Usmarinecorps05
              I am almost completed with my hiring for PD. My question is, I'm 100% rated for ptsd from the military. Is this an automatic DQ for PD? The psych reps also want a copy of my ptsd exam but isn't this a HIPAA violation?
              According to your profile, you are currently working as a corrections officer and have eight years of experience.

Was the Washington State DoC aware of your VA rating and psych history when they hired you? And is the VA aware of your continued employment? Looks like someone dropped the ball somewhere and your VA rating should have been re-evaluated and dropped to the appropriate level a long time ago.

I looked up the basic criteria for a 100% rating...and it sure isn't compatible with law enforcement:

Veterans with this PTSD disability rating have complete occupational and social impairment. Examples include significantly inappropriate public and private behavior, gross thought impairment, persistent hallucinations or delusions, ongoing danger of harming themselves or others, occasional inability to care for hygiene needs, memory loss, and sense of disorientation towards place and time.
              Last edited by not.in.MY.town; 10-06-2021, 09:38 PM.

Comment

First off, I wouldn't listen to this CCCSD guy, dude hates his life and goes around on this board talking down to people.

second, it will be very hard to pass the psyc but not impossible. They don't expect you to come out of war being perfectly normal and if you did they'd think you're lying. It honestly depends on the time between and how it affected you and if it still does.

Now when you say 100 percent? that's only for PTSD or is that a combined rating with all your other injuries. That's an important clarification.

Comment

Originally posted by GinjaNinja View Post
                  First off, I wouldn't listen to this CCCSD guy, dude hates his life and goes around on this board talking down to people.

second, it will be very hard to pass the psyc but not impossible. They don't expect you to come out of war being perfectly normal and if you did they'd think you're lying. It honestly depends on the time between and how it affected you and if it still does.

Now when you say 100 percent? that's only for PTSD or is that a combined rating with all your other injuries. That's an important clarification.
                  You have zero experience in law enforcement- what makes you think that your input matters more than his?
                  Last edited by Aidokea; 10-12-2021, 06:31 PM. Reason: Fixing typos

Comment

• Aidokea
                    Aidokea commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Combat "areas"? So you're a Fobbit?

• CCCSD
                    CCCSD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Guess FOBBIT thinks he’s the ONLY Vet on here who’s deployed…yawn.

• GinjaNinja
                    GinjaNinja commented
                    Editing a comment
                    nah I didn't hide at a FOB. I've got my CAR.

I'm not sure why you think I'm a security guard? I haven't done that since I graduated university LOL just stop it and go to your retirement home bud. I don't think I'm the only person to deploy, but based off my education and experience i'd say I'm uniquely qualified. But either way, don't really care.

• CCCSD
                    CCCSD commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You aren’t “ uniquely qualified “ for anything LE.

CAR? Yawn…

The SECURITY GUARD forum is where you should be posting. Not here.
                  You know NOTHING about what you are posting on.

Comment

Originally posted by not.in.MY.town View Post

According to your profile, you are currently working as a corrections officer and have eight years of experience.

Was the Washington State DoC aware of your VA rating and psych history when they hired you? And is the VA aware of your continued employment? Looks like someone dropped the ball somewhere and your VA rating should have been re-evaluated and dropped to the appropriate level a long time ago.

I looked up the basic criteria for a 100% rating...and it sure isn't compatible with law enforcement:

MANY State DOC's do not hire to Law Enforcement Standards....................nor do they worry about VA ratings.

People may not like his delivery, but in reality CCCSD is rarely WRONG in the basics of his posts.

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

So now he's changed his profile, to eliminate his security job. I guess that means he's unemployed...

Comment

Originally posted by Aidokea View Post
                        So now he's changed his profile, to eliminate his security job. I guess that means he's unemployed...
                        Not unexpected…

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4103 users online. 251 members and 3852 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X