300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tacoma PD

Anybody have any information on the Tacoma Police Department? Are they a pretty modern department? How is the morale? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!
    "The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?" -Psalm 27:1
    Commissioned Police Officer
    RLTW

They seem to have strange and arbitrary reasons for rejecting people. I got rejected based on my background packet, and my background is pretty clean. Another member here had a similar experience. And frankly, when I went up there for the background interview, the BI acted like I was wasting her time. Strange attitude for an agency with so many openings.
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!" -- Captain Lance Murdoch, The Simpsons

Comment

Yeah, I second what Oregon Mike said. I was rejected for almost a non-issue. It makes me think that they have one type of person that they will hire.

I have also heard that the two hiring officers that do the initial background interview are extremely petty. Either that or they have ridiculously high standards and will pretty much accept only angels to be officers.
      Last edited by savage4presiden; 06-11-2007, 09:37 AM. Reason: More info.

Comment

The department is currently looking to hire quite a few officers so there's a good chance of being hired if you apply.

I've gone through most of Tacoma's hiring process and have had a very good experience. All the officers I've met, including the background investigators and the command staff in charge of hiring, have been great.

As far as what others have said about their background investigative process, I found them no different than any other background I've gone through. As long as you fill out your background packet completely and honestly, you'll have no problems. They are extremely thorough (not petty) and that's good--because if you don't disclose it during their interview with you and it comes up on the polygraph, you're done.
        "Screw that. We can make bullets faster than they can make terrorists. Kill them all. Every last one." -Interceptor

Comment

Originally posted by xcrunner View Post
          Are they a pretty modern department? How is the morale?
          I don't know any Tacoma officers personally, so I can't answer about department morale.

Care to elaborate what you mean by "modern"? They provide take-home cars (after probation) and provide a full range of services that is typical of a big-city department.

In addition, there is a lot of room for promotion and advancement due to some of the command staff retiring.
          "Screw that. We can make bullets faster than they can make terrorists. Kill them all. Every last one." -Interceptor

Comment

Modern as in modern gear, sorry for not being clear. What kind of uniforms do they patrol in? Are they practical or nice with a tie kind of uniforms? Also, if some of you don't mind disclosing this, what did Tacoma PD disqualify you for? What were some of the negatives you disclosed on your BI packet? Thanks!
            "The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?" -Psalm 27:1
            Commissioned Police Officer
            RLTW

Comment

Believe, me. Tacoma was very petty with me in the interview. I disclosed everything, but was dq'd because I made a mistake with one of the dates I gave them. I corrected myself as soon as I realized I had given them the wrong date and the BI closed my background packet right in front of me.

Comment

Tacoma PD

I have a hard time believing that the BIs DQd you for giving the wrong dates there HAS to be something else. The reason being, I was all screwed up when I went in for my BI. I had dates wrong, was missing info, it was a mess. I also feel that I was an idiot in my oral board, it was my first one. On top of that my background is anything but squeaky. With all of this going against me I have been hired at what I consider to be the best agency in the northwest.
                Every officer I have come into contact has been profession and very pleasant. I would have to say that moral is high. We have the best equiptment, facility, training (one of the only in WA to use PTO instead of FTO). Everything is provided, I mean everything there is NO out of pocket expense.
                Other departments pride themselves on how many people they can fire. Tacoma values all of their employees and will work with you on areas that you may struggle with.
                If you are a professional that is looking for some action, then TPD is the place to be. We handle the most calls and have the worst crime rate per capita on the west coast. Tacoma is the real deal.

Comment

Well, I'm glad you had such a good experience with Tacoma. The fact is I did not. I was dq'd after I told everything. My background isn't a problem or my honesty. I have a suspicion (and it's not without justification) that this particular PD (or should I say this particular BI) will dq people if they (or should I say she) doesn't like them the initial interview.

Comment

Tacoma is VERY picky.......a friend of my dad's is an officer there and I've done a ride with another officer. They very much can and will deny you for arbitrary reasons at the BI level. My dad's friend said that based on how picky Tacoma is, if officers were required to go through another BI most would not get rehired.
                    Refuse to be a victim-Support Concealed Carry

Comment

TPD didn't give me any reason why I was DQed, and they even specifically said in the letter that they do not discuss they DQ an applicant.

They are very thorough, which I have no problem with. But to say that, "As long as you fill out your background packet completely and honestly, you'll have no problems," is not accurate. I was complete and honest, and my background is really very clean. Based on the attitude of the BI, I'd rather not work there anyway.
                      "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!" -- Captain Lance Murdoch, The Simpsons

Comment

Originally posted by Oregon Mike View Post
                        Based on the attitude of the BI, I'd rather not work there anyway.
                        I second that. And I agree with your post. I prefer my BI at Seattle Police anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by xcrunner View Post
                          Modern as in modern gear, sorry for not being clear. What kind of uniforms do they patrol in?
                          Their uniforms and gear are modern and look pretty good. Check http://www.tacomapolice.org to see pictures of their officers and vehicles.

Originally posted by savage4presiden
                          My background isn't a problem or my honesty.
                          I would hazard to guess that you weren't disqualified for one specific thing. It may have been a combination of factors. Definately make sure that you're dressed appropriately, smile and be polite, and don't argue with the BI. I know for a fact that they may attempt to prod you into an argument by being slightly confrontational to see if you stress out and get upset. Also, don't minimize your past actions. Be completely detailed about dates, when and where, who you were with, why, how many times, etc.

I'm not saying that these things disqualified you, just stating what I've found that helps make the background investigative process go smoothly.
                          Last edited by LPSS; 06-13-2007, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Tacoma has probably produced very strict background checks, because of incidents involving its officers. That is why some of you have probably not made it through the BI process. They are probably very apprehensive with everyone & if they find something as small as a word spelled wrong you could be DQ'd.

I had a friend that applied with an agency in OR and the background investigator that did his background was released because of unfavorable circumstances. Needless to say I wonder how many good applicants were turned away because of this one individual?

Don't give up! Keep applying elsewhere. Remember that you can alway lateral from another agency.

Comment

I'm just curious as to where themerk got his information about corruption in Pierce County. I've worked for PCSD for almost 17 years and have yet to hear anything about corruption in that time.
                              The last time I can recall any corruption was about 30 years ago when the sheriff at the time ended up doing time in federal prison.

As far as background investigations go, what candidates may think "petty" may be grounds for removal from an eligibility list by standards that have been set by Civil Service and not the LE angency for which the candidate has applied.
                              Also, most BIs are looking for honesty in a candidate. Significant changes in information on a background packet (such as dates) can be viewed by a BI as deception, and grounds for removal from the process.

Just my thoughts.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6308 users online. 359 members and 5949 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X