300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Background questions

I’ve searched the topic in general and found an answer from several years ago, from another state, and suspect it would still be accurate in general, but I’m curious about WA specifically.

In 2016 I passed two background investigations, have passed two polygraphs confirming my account of a DV arrest from 2005 and have character witnesses to my ex-wife’s abuse against me.

Long story short my ex wife had a history of physically assaulting me. In 2005 she came home drunk, assaulted me and I slapped her as I was trying to defend myself. She blacked out, which was common for her. I immediately checked on her and called 911 to have medics confirm she was ok. She was ok and blacked out again before the responding officer could question her. I gave my account but my ex-wife’s drunk friend who did not see what happened gave a false account stating that I assaulted my ex. I was booked that night and the next morning my ex bailed me out when she sobered up. No charges were filed and the DA dropped the case. Several weeks later I filed for divorce due to her ongoing violence.

In 2016 this incident seemed to be understood and my account was validated by the polygraph and character witnesses. However, in 2020 as I began reapplying I’ve had departments now disqualify me in the background, even those I previously passed, due to this prior arrest.

Question 1., Have rules changed in WA or is this a department by department issue? I’ve mostly applied to departments in the Clark Co. area.
    Question 2. Is it worth continuing to apply?
    Last edited by JBrooke; 02-02-2021, 09:25 PM.

Originally posted by JBrooke View Post
    I’ve searched the topic in general and found an answer from several years ago, from another state, and suspect it would still be accurate in general, but I’m curious about WA specifically.
    In 2016 I passed two background investigations, have passed two polygraphs confirming my account of a DV arrest from 2005 and have character witnesses to my ex-wife’s abuse against me. Long story short my ex wife had a history of physically assaulting me. In 2005 she came home drunk, assaulted me and I slapped her as I was trying to defend myself. She blacked out, which was common for her. I immediately checked on her and called 911 to have medics confirm she was ok. She was ok and blacked out again before the responding officer could question her. I gave my account but my ex-wife’s drunk friend who did not see what happened gave a false account stating that I assaulted my ex. I was booked that night and the next morning my ex bailed me out when she sobered up. No charges were filed and the DA dropped the case. Several weeks later I filed for divorce due to her ongoing violence.
    In 2016 this incident seemed to be understood and my account was validated by the polygraph and character witnesses. However, in 2020 as I began reapplying I’ve had departments now disqualify me in the background, even those I previously passed, due to this prior arrest.

Question 1., Have rules changed in WA or is this a department by department issue? I’ve mostly applied to departments in the Clark Co. area.
    Paragraphs, dude...paragraphs...

Comment

• JBrooke
      JBrooke commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, my bad. Fat thumbing it on my phone. Thought I had a better format.

• JBrooke
      JBrooke commented
      Editing a comment
      Fixed the format. I’d love to hear any advice.

Your background investigators are most likely talking to your ex-wife too. Maybe her story has changed...

Comment

Originally posted by JBrooke View Post

In 2016 I passed two background investigations, have passed two polygraphs confirming my account of a DV arrest from 2005 and have character witnesses to my ex-wife’s abuse against me.

Long story short my ex wife had a history of physically assaulting me. In 2005 she came home drunk, assaulted me and I slapped her as I was trying to defend myself. She blacked out, which was common for her. I immediately checked on her and called 911 to have medics confirm she was ok. She was ok and blacked out again before the responding officer could question her. I gave my account but my ex-wife’s drunk friend who did not see what happened gave a false account stating that I assaulted my ex. I was booked that night and the next morning my ex bailed me out when she sobered up. No charges were filed and the DA dropped the case. Several weeks later I filed for divorce due to her ongoing violence.

Good luck, in most places, even allegations of domestic violence will get you disqualified from the hiring process. If you felt to adamant about the arrest being wrong, why didn't you try and get it expunged. Although law enforcement agencies can still see a lot of expunged cases.

Comment

• JBrooke
        JBrooke commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m not positive but I don’t think there’s anything to expunge. It was never a “case” that I know of, no charges filed and it was “rejected” (word used on the report I pulled) by the DA.

It’s 2021. EVERY applicant is under more scrutiny than before. Ignoring this arrest and then you doing something while a cop are risks no agency can afford.

Comment

• JBrooke
        JBrooke commented
        Editing a comment
        That certainly seems to be the way it’s looking.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4752 users online. 324 members and 4428 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X