300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSP Polygraph

I had mine today, and passed so I'm a happy camper. I went over all of the nasty things in my background (plus my less than stellar military career) and he said that I still fit within hiring standards and to stick with it. I got a date for a physical fitness test and was told I'd hear back about my BI.

Is it me or does WSP have their own completely different hiring standards than other agencies? Plus, I think all of the other agencies have differences too. Very odd.

Originally posted by ThursCo View Post
    I had mine today, and passed so I'm a happy camper. I went over all of the nasty things in my background (plus my less than stellar military career) and he said that I still fit within hiring standards and to stick with it. I got a date for a physical fitness test and was told I'd hear back about my BI.

Is it me or does WSP have their own completely different hiring standards than other agencies? Plus, I think all of the other agencies have differences too. Very odd.
    Could you clarify your question a little? What exactly do you think is different about the process/standards?

Comment

Credit for one. I explained the same credit situation to two different agencies. WSP said, "you are within our standards." the other said, "You are on the right track but we can't accept you now. Keep the problem fixed and give it some more time."

Comment

Can't tell you the answer, but one thing is that just because you are hired by the WSP doesn't mean you're "in". You are an "at will" employee up until you are commissioned and believe me they keep an eye on you until then. So it could be that they see certain things they like and are willing to watch the rest.

HRD is really a mystery anyway. Just tell the truth and be honest, you'll be fine.

PT is probably the single most important thing for you right now, barring any mental illness. Be sure you blow that test away, and don't focus on the minimums.

Good luck!

Comment

It's odd Birdman, they gave me the tests we had to do, but no standards whatsoever. They mentioned at the written test that they were starting PT tests pre-hire now but it was more of a guideline and you would be coached on what needs to be improved....but no minimum standards. Have you heard anything like this?

Oh, and does HRD = human resources department?

Oh x2 thanks for the "good luck"
          Last edited by ThursCo; 06-07-2007, 02:19 AM. Reason: forgot to add

Comment

Yes, HRD is Human Resources Division. It's true that the PT test during the hiring process is just a guideline, but the thing you must remember is that no matter how little you have progressed in the process - or how far, you will be scrutinized closely. They may not make a decision to hire or not based on PT, but excelling at this point will only make your case stronger. If you are at the required level now on PT, that's one less thing they will have to push you on. There's enough to learn without having to spend time on PT as well.

I am trying to find my copy of the PT standards...

OK, in order to graduate trooper basic you must be at 60th percentile minimum. I'll assume you are under 30:

Vertical Jump: 21.5 inches
            Situps: 42 in 1 minute
            Pushups: 37 (no time)
            300 meter sprint: 54 seconds
            1.5 mile run: 11:41

So the idea is that if you come into the process at those levels, they look at you and see one less area they'll need to train you in. As far as I recall, the PT test for pre-hiring has much lower minimums. I have seen a sheet with minimums on it, but as they indicated I think those are guidelines. They want to see where you are at.

Comment

Birdman, is wearing a suit to the first two tests a good idea?

Comment

Nobody wore one at mine (including me) BUT, if i were to do it again I would've. If you don't have a suit, a nice pair of slacks and dress shirt with tie would be good also (this is what i did) .

You have to remember you're being evaluated from the very beginning. I even noticed some guys had shown up wearing ratty t-shirts and jeans. Needless to say, I haven't seen them since. it's not going to help you on the test (obviously) but it will show that you take this seriously.

Good luck!!!

Comment

Savage-
                  I did, and would again. The written test some of us were in business attire, most were in jeans and Tshirts. The recruiter/proctor told everyone that professional attire, including a jacket/sports coat for the men, would be required with any further testing. My jacket was a little snug (ha!) so I went out and bought a new one before the Polygraph.

Birdman-
                  I appreciate the info. I have the sprint/pushups/situps down at this point. My run still needs some help (I'm recovering from a little tweak in my low back) and I have no idea about the vertical jump. How is that even tested? Jump up against a wall or something?

Comment

The vertical jump is tested with a special rod system that is on a stand. You walk up to it and stretch your arm up as far as possible. They will then raise the rods so that the lowest rod/peg is at the height of your arm. Each peg represents an inch. You then jump and try to hit the highest rod/peg possible.

Hopefully that all makes sense....

Comment

regarding the way the WSP physical test is given: are the situps elbows to knees with hands behind head or arms crossed over chest? Does anyone hold your feet? Also, am I reading correctly that the jump has you start from a static position or can you run up and try to touch the mark? Thx.

Comment

I think it's like the NFL combine in that you stand static and then jump and try and touch the highest peg possible, if I am understanding Birdman correctly..

Ooo I better get running...my run time is MAYBE a 15:00...ergge.

*Tottaly OT, but I think I got rid of the troll. Yay!
                        sigpic
                        No Boom Today. Boom Tommorow. There's Always A Boom Tommorow.

Comment

Congrats and good luck!
                          " I DON'T WANT A LARGE FARVA!"

Comment

Originally posted by FutrWSPTrooper View Post
                            I think it's like the NFL combine in that you stand static and then jump and try and touch the highest peg possible, if I am understanding Birdman correctly..

Ooo I better get running...my run time is MAYBE a 15:00...ergge.

*Tottaly OT, but I think I got rid of the troll. Yay!

The WSP will be comming out with new standards very soon. Note that this post was created in 2007. I talked last month with a Trooper and she was telling me about how the WSP is going to be comming out with new PT standards for entry into the academy.

BTW the FBD guy or what ever his name was I believe is gone. His posts were removed and his profile isnt here. Thank goodness. Peace lives on ^_^
                            Last edited by Super_HKS; 05-22-2009, 03:05 PM.

Comment

When exactly does the WSP give the physical test? I have the polygraph next week. Do they hand out a date then? Like others posting here, my 1.5 is still barely over the forty percent mark. I'm hoping to get my laps to under ninety seconds. Thanks for your posts in advance!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6684 users online. 350 members and 6334 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X