300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seattle Police Jobs

I am a Background Investigator with the Seattle Police Department. If you have any questions about SPD and the hiring process post it here or send me a PM. Some questions I can answer, others I cannot. I will do my best to educate you about the SPD hiring process and hopefully give you some insight about a career with SPD.

Please visit our website at seattlepolicejobs.com or call our recruiter Andre Sinn at (206) 615-0762. We are working on hiring a record number of officers. NOW IS THE TIME TO APPLY
    SEATTLEPOLICEJOBS.COM

HONOR, COURAGE & COMMITMENT

Testing monthly... apply online

Maybe you can answer this...

I plan on enlisting in the next year into the Army for about four years. Is it possible for you to tell me what the outlook for hiring will be when I get out of the military? Let's say around 2012? Thanks!
    "The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?" -Psalm 27:1
    Commissioned Police Officer
    RLTW

Comment

Originally posted by xcrunner View Post
      Maybe you can answer this...

I plan on enlisting in the next year into the Army for about four years. Is it possible for you to tell me what the outlook for hiring will be when I get out of the military? Let's say around 2012? Thanks!

Not trying to be a D!CK, but, he says he's an SPD Copper, I'm pretty sure that standard issue kit doesn't include a crystal ball.
      Nobody ever wants to have to fight, but its a darn good idea for someone to know how.

Comment

I'll take an educated guess

No longer current
        Last edited by cgh6366; 03-23-2009, 10:54 PM.
        "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
        sigpic

Comment

The last I have heard is that we'll be hiring 50-80 officers a year for the next five years. Beyond that I cannot say. The command staff, the city council and the Mayors office make that decision.
          SEATTLEPOLICEJOBS.COM

Comment

I try to answer PM's as quickly as I get them. FYI I'll be out of town on a BI from June 9-14. If I don't get back to you in a timely fashion during that time frame that's why.
            SEATTLEPOLICEJOBS.COM

Comment

Thanks for the helpful information!
              "The Lord is my light and my salvation, whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life, of whom shall I be afraid?" -Psalm 27:1
              Commissioned Police Officer
              RLTW

Comment

SPDJOBS

I live north of Seattle in the Lynnwood area; if I apply to SPD and get hired will I be stationed in the north area of the city or is it luck of the draw? Also what is the uniform allowance? Pretty much I would like to know what the out of pocket cost is to new hires. Thanks in advance for your help.

Comment

It's a crap shoot

You submit a wish wist of precinct and watch preference - but in reality - they put you where they need you (needs of the department and all that).

As far as $$. In the past month they have started giving $$ to new recruits (I've heard anything from $1,250 - $2,000). After that it's $550 a year for maintenance, and that is taxed.

I'm sure our recruiter, posting as SPDJOBS, would have more exact info. PM him.
                  "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

sigpic

Comment

Every new recruit will have all of their uniforms including academy equipment paid for by the department. When the recruit is hired they are given a uniform voucher that they take to the uniform supply store for the equipment. There is 0 (zero) out-of-pocket cost to the recruit. CGH6366 is correct, staffing is based on the needs of the department.
                    SEATTLEPOLICEJOBS.COM

Comment

Thank you disregard PM

Comment

Originally posted by Nate_07 View Post
                        Thank you disregard PM
                        I sent you a PM anyway with a little more detail for you.
                        SEATTLEPOLICEJOBS.COM

Comment

Do you know anything about testing in Atlanta in sep. for the SPD?

Take home cars?

What is the shift schedule?

I know glock 17s are issued, but can other firearms be used for a duty weapon if it is purchased by the recruit?

Can pretty much any firearm be used for a BUG, or are there only a few that are approved by the dept?

How long is the academy?

Are any and all small complaints that are ridiculous investigated seriously (even if the are stupid)? (Just heard a rumor that because seattle was such a PC place the smallest, dumbest stuff is taken just as seriously as very serious incidents.

Comment

Originally posted by Floridaboy View Post
                            Take home cars?
                            Only certain detective units - patrol cars are a pool system

What is the shift schedule?
                            Currently 9 hour shifts, 4 on/2 off - Shifts start at 1100 & 1130 / 1900 & 1930 / 0300 & 0330. The City is exploring other options for the near future.

I know glock 17s are issued, but can other firearms be used for a duty weapon if it is purchased by the recruit?
                            Not Glock 17's. Glock 22 or 23 is standard issue

Can pretty much any firearm be used for a BUG, or are there only a few that are approved by the dept?
                            No, there are definite limitations

Are any and all small complaints that are ridiculous investigated seriously (even if the are stupid)? (Just heard a rumor that because seattle was such a PC place the smallest, dumbest stuff is taken just as seriously as very serious incidents.
                            Yes, the most petty and inane complaints will be investigated.

Any other questions can probably be answered by checking out http://www.cityofseattle.net/police/...Manualv1_1.pdf

sigpic

Comment

Do you know anything about testing in Atlanta in sep. for the SPD?

Yes we are defintely coming to Atlanta. We are testing there in late September as well as Norfolk, VA around the same time. The official announcment is coming out here real soon. I know we are going for a fact because I already have the travel plans booked.

We are not issued Glock 17's that is a 9mm handgun we are issued 40. cal glocks model 22 or 23

New officers are only approved the use of the dept issued handgun for on-duty use and they can carry certain dept approved off-duty weapons

How long is the academy?

Basic law enforcement academy (BLEA) is given by the state criminal justice training commission for roughly 4 months. Then you go to post-BLEA which is given by SPD for an additional month or so.

Are any and all small complaints that are ridiculous investigated seriously (even if the are stupid)? (Just heard a rumor that because Seattle was such a PC place the smallest, dumbest stuff is taken just as seriously as very serious incidents.[/QUOTE]

Complaints are investigated based on the severity. Some are sent to IIS for investigation others are kicked back to the precinct for what's known as a line investigation by your direct supervisor.

Send me a PM if you want anymore info of if you have any other questions.
                              Last edited by SPDJOBS; 06-06-2007, 05:23 PM. Reason: error
                              SEATTLEPOLICEJOBS.COM

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7420 users online. 396 members and 7024 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X