Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's been raining all week so you better pack a coat!

Good luck.

Comment

• Edit: What do you need to buy and what is issued to you by the department equipment wise and do you have reserves.
      Last edited by Nawkternal; 10-07-2007, 08:06 PM.

Comment

• Sorry this doesnt pertain to the hiring process but do all SPD officers get Tazers? Also are radio ear peices ok?

AB

Comment

• Not every officer is required to carry a taser. Many officers do. You need to be specially qualified to carry it.... and by that I mean you have to be tased yourself. I used to carry one. It's a very useful piece of equipment. The majority of patrol officers do not wear ear pieces of any kind. Some specialty units such as SWAT do. All of our radios have shoulder mic's.
          SEATTLEPOLICEJOBS.COM

HONOR, COURAGE & COMMITMENT

Testing monthly... apply online

Comment

• Originally posted by Nawkternal View Post
            Edit: What do you need to buy and what is issued to you by the department equipment wise and do you have reserves.
            You need to purchase nothing. All equipment for new hires is supplied via a voucher system.
            SEATTLEPOLICEJOBS.COM

Comment

• ^^^^^

Which is a vast improvement from when I came on not too long ago. I was $2.5K in by the time I got out of BLEA.

A finer point: having just gotten a taser (and yes, I did take the ride), they no longer require that you get tased in order to deploy with one, however it is STRONGLY recommended, it will be very useful for you in court to be able to honestly say, "Yes counsel, I've been tased before and I can testify with all honesty what the effects are. Once the application is over, it's over."

Tasers are in short supply, and my understanding is that applicants are selected based on need of the squad/watch. My squad had no taser officers, so I volunteered for the class so we could have one in my sector. One of our officers that conducts the class is one of the few Master Level instructors for Taser, Intl. Great opportunity for good training.

Comment

• Originally posted by christuan View Post
                ^^^^^

Which is a vast improvement from when I came on not too long ago. I was $2.5K in by the time I got out of BLEA.

A finer point: having just gotten a taser (and yes, I did take the ride), they no longer require that you get tased in order to deploy with one, however it is STRONGLY recommended, it will be very useful for you in court to be able to honestly say, "Yes counsel, I've been tased before and I can testify with all honesty what the effects are. Once the application is over, it's over."

Tasers are in short supply, and my understanding is that applicants are selected based on need of the squad/watch. My squad had no taser officers, so I volunteered for the class so we could have one in my sector. One of our officers that conducts the class is one of the few Master Level instructors for Taser, Intl. Great opportunity for good training.

Yep I took the ride as well. I guess it's not a requirement anymore... definitely a useful tool. I turned mine in a few months ago so they could reissue it to someone who needed one on the street.
                SEATTLEPOLICEJOBS.COM

Comment

• Originally posted by SPDJOBS View Post
                  Yep I took the ride as well. I guess it's not a requirement anymore... definitely a useful tool. I turned mine in a few months ago so they could reissue it to someone who needed one on the street.
                  ^^^^
                  Maybe I got your old one...if so, thanks!

Comment

• Awesome if you did, you'll get more use out of it than I would.
                    SEATTLEPOLICEJOBS.COM

Comment

• $5,000 salary incentive to all entry level new hires on top of the starting pay. FYI if anyone is thinking of an LE career.
                      SEATTLEPOLICEJOBS.COM

Comment

• I tested with Seattle the first cycle of this year and made it to the background. I think that I failed the background because I drank under 21yoa while I was still in the background process (turned 21 in June). In your opinion, SPDJOBS, would I still be viable as an applicant to SPD, or should I wait longer before re-applying?

Comment

• Originally posted by SPDJOBS View Post
                          $5,000 salary incentive to all entry level new hires on top of the starting pay. FYI if anyone is thinking of an LE career.
                          BUT, still no contract!
                          "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

If your story involves Peanut Butter and an animal - give up now!
                          sigpic

Comment

• I have received several PM's so here's the contract deal.

The Seattle Police Officer's Guild (SPOG), which represents Officers, Detectives and Sergeants, has not had a contract with the City since 12/31/06. Since we can't strike, all that means is that life goes on and the retro-check grows.

We are currently in mediation, and it appears we are headed for arbitration.
                            Last edited by cgh6366; 10-25-2007, 10:35 AM. Reason: Separating facts from opinion
                            "We're not in this business for the money. We're not in it for the excitement, and moments like this. Duty, honor, country, service, truth, and justice are good. But you can do that from behind a desk. In the end, you carry a gun and shield out into the field for the sole purpose of confronting the bad guys. The enemy. There is no other reason to be on the front lines." ~Nelson Demille

sigpic

Comment

• No contract

No contract... unfortunately that's kind of par for the course across the board with just about every large municipal department these days. How long did our 6 other west coast comps go before the settled their contracts? Some went years w/o settling contracts.
                              Regardless there aren't many jobs that don't require a college education where you start out at $50,000 a year. Not everyone at SPD hates his or her job. If this place has you so disgruntled that you complain everyday why don't you leave? No one is forcing you to work here.
                              SEATTLEPOLICEJOBS.COM

Comment

• Deleted posting
                                Last edited by cgh6366; 10-25-2007, 10:33 AM. Reason: Got personal, which was wrong

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8655 users online. 453 members and 8202 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X