Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey guys, I am testing with Seattle for the first time this weekend. Anyone have any helpful test day advice?

Comment

• Originally posted by mrosser View Post
      Hey guys, I am testing with Seattle for the first time this weekend. Anyone have any helpful test day advice?
      Good luck.
      Starting now practice MEMORIZATION. Look at people, lic. plates , anything to train your mind to remember. Most of the test is memorization I believe.

Don't quit, no matter what. Unless bones are sticking out or you have lost over a quart of blood don't quit.
      I yanked the crap out of my hamstring during the sprint and knew that I was done, there was just no way to make the 1.5 in the time allotted limping in pain. Then my desire took over and I pushed through with an 11: 55.
      Oh, don't swear , because I sure was and it did not look professional but I learned from that and kept on.
      Don't worry about how you think others are doing, just think about yourself and do the best you can. Get into the mindset that you can beat everyone there.
      Be cool and professional during the board and any interviews. Ya it's stressful but they want to see if you can work under stress. Everything is meant to intimidate you.
      Be yourself, be totally honest, if you don't know then let them know and tell them you will find out the answer at a later time.

Be decisive. They look for that.

You aren't going to bluff any of these people so just be yourself and be squared away.
      Remember , you are going after the " Golden Ticket".

Comment

• Originally posted by slakno View Post
        Good luck.
        Starting now practice MEMORIZATION. Look at people, lic. plates , anything to train your mind to remember. Most of the test is memorization I believe.

Don't quit, no matter what. Unless bones are sticking out or you have lost over a quart of blood don't quit.
        I yanked the crap out of my hamstring during the sprint and knew that I was done, there was just no way to make the 1.5 in the time allotted limping in pain. Then my desire took over and I pushed through with an 11: 55.
        Oh, don't swear , because I sure was and it did not look professional but I learned from that and kept on.
        Don't worry about how you think others are doing, just think about yourself and do the best you can. Get into the mindset that you can beat everyone there.
        Be cool and professional during the board and any interviews. Ya it's stressful but they want to see if you can work under stress. Everything is meant to intimidate you.
        Be yourself, be totally honest, if you don't know then let them know and tell them you will find out the answer at a later time.

Be decisive. They look for that.

You aren't going to bluff any of these people so just be yourself and be squared away.
        Remember , you are going after the " Golden Ticket".
        Great thanks slakno for the useful advice! I've been working on this police officer exam study book and have been paying particular attention to the memorization parts ie stories, pictures and mug shots. Also thanks for the advice on other stuff down the road. I will keep on the grind of practicing memorization and hopefully it will pay off on sat.

Comment

• Question For Recruiters and SPD officers

I have been interested in applying to the SPD for some time now, mainly waiting for the age requirement. As the time is coming closer that I will be eligible to apply (20.5 as of the test date, I understand) I have some questions about disqualification in the background check. The simple situation is that I was a rather foolish and enthusiastic driver for the first few years and got a few tickets and 2 at fault accidents. On the other hand, for about the past year and a half I haven't so much as been pulled over. The other factor that may or may not be relevant is that, as of the last time I checked, only one incident is actually on my driving record. Other than that I have nothing criminal in my history, no drug use and an AAAS degree from Shoreline. I guess the gist if the question is if the mistakes I made in my driving history will likely be disqualifying.

Comment

• Your driving history is going to be scrutinized a great deal as it provides insights into your decision making in additional to your skills behind the wheel. Also remember that things show up in law enforcement driving abstracts that you won't necessarily see in your local courtview interweb system. You should assume they have all the information and you will have to disclose everything on your application anyway.

In short, you haven't given enough information to determine if your driving record is disqualifying. You might want to call the recruiting office. Based on your age your bad choices are not that far in the past and a year or two of not getting cited is a good start, but you are going to have to show them you have changed your habits, and the only why to do that may be the attrition of time (again, call recruiting). Department doesn't like getting their cars beat up as it cost the tax payers a small fortune to maintain the vehicle fleet. It also gets you hurt and out of service during your recovery.

SPD will look at you as a whole and your driving record only tells one part of the story. The question you should really be asking is whether or not your background and qualifications are going to be on par with the other applicants; just meeting the minimum standards is not going to cut it in today's job market when employers can pick the cream of the crop.

Send me a PM if you have more specific questions.

Comment

• New member here. Well, I received the good news last week. Not real specific on academy date. March, April, or May is the response I received. I have seen many posts on what the time frame for hiring is. All I can say is have PATIENCE. I tested in March of 09 and like I said, I just cleared background last week. Good Luck everyone in your endeavors. BTW hit me up if you are in the same holding pattern I am in. My BI has been straightforward with me to this point, so I am expecting a call for my med exam in a month or so.

Comment

• Congrats

Originally posted by ShaunFan View Post
                New member here. Well, I received the good news last week. Not real specific on academy date. March, April, or May is the response I received. I have seen many posts on what the time frame for hiring is. All I can say is have PATIENCE. I tested in March of 09 and like I said, I just cleared background last week. Good Luck everyone in your endeavors. BTW hit me up if you are in the same holding pattern I am in. My BI has been straightforward with me to this point, so I am expecting a call for my med exam in a month or so.
                Way to go Shaun,
                We might be in the same class who knows. I took my exam back in Feb 09 and my academy date suppose to be this March. I'm also waiting my medical exam.
                Living for an Audience of One

Comment

• I have been interested in working for Seattle PD for a few years now. I have researched it as much as possible on the internet and from conversations I have had.

I am a Minnesota Law Enforcement student and I have finished the "Theory" Portion of our "Skills" (Professional Licensing Program/2 Year Law Enforcement degree) I am also a Sergeant in a Reserves unit in the Twin Cities.

I was wondering what other advice I could get in regards to being a suitable candidate for a job as a Police Officer in Seattle. Thanks for any advice!
                  Last edited by ShinkagePD510; 01-21-2010, 08:29 AM.

Comment

• Anyone on here from SPD know if they plan on doing another lateral recruiting test here in NYC. About 2 years they gave one, but I didn't take it, a bunch of guys did though and I think like 4 guys jumped ship from here. SPD even went as far as to put a billboard trying to get as many of the 40K of us to apply. I hear nothing but good things about the dept and might wanna look into a lateral myself, hence why I was asking about the test.

Comment

• Last I heard there were not going to be any out of state recruiting trips any time soon. I'll keep my ears open and post if I hear anything.

Comment

• Academy dates?

Just curious if what the anticipated academy start dates may be for this year? I understand it may depend on budget issues and such, but just trying to get an idea on when the academies for this year are tentatively scheduled to start?

Also, if you go through all facets of the testing process and actually receive a conditional offer of employment, can you opt to start the academy following the one you may tentatively be scheduled for, or is it basically a now or never decision to be made by the candidate? Thanks!

Comment

• here is the link to the BLEA with all the start dates for the year.

https://fortress.wa.gov/cjtc/www/classes/0100.htm

Comment

• Remember that the dates on the WSCJTC website are tentative and subject to change and/or cancellation depending on state budget and enrollment.

SPD has in the past made every reasonable effort to accommodate the schedules of new hires with respect to academy start dates. I would imagine they still, and will continue to, do this to the degree feasible.

Comment

• Thanks, guys! Wow, those are a lot of academies! I figured maybe 2-3 academies a year, so it was a shock to see that many!

Thanks again for the link, geoffrey, and also for the explanation from The Intel Guy!

Comment

• Hey guys I got ranked 42 out of 123 from the last test, anybody know if this will get me an oral board?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8584 users online. 452 members and 8132 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X