300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
    Seattle HATES the Police. Need more reason? Why work for an agency where the city council calls you racist killers and supports crime.Embracing PERF21 as THE standard for police. Yeahhhhhh... **** that.

Better to be a a Security Guard in Alabama then a cop in Seattle.
    This is true. I live in IL and heard about the Councilperson who called cops involved in a lawful UoF shooting murderers and criminals. Not to mention they made a complete wholesale change to their UoF policy that some SPD cops would rather sit in their cars for 8 hours than do actual police work. They've gotten called blanket racist. I mean the list goes on and on. SPD has a lot of documented issues with retention and recruiting.
    Now I have my own application issue with them when I applied that turned my mouth sour on them.
    King County (county that Seattle is in) was a totally different boat when i applied and the few deputies I spoke too loved the SO.
    Now I lived in Lakewood, Tacoma, and Auburn when I lived up there. I always lived in a decent school district and the neighborhoods was nice and quiet. I LOVED LIVING IN THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST. However, traffic be damned. Its the worse damn traffic I've ever experienced. I'm from Chicago and was in Seoul South Korea for a year. Seattle only has one main throughway going north-south and east-west. And when they designed that area many many years ago, the city engineers obviously never planned on Seattle being a hotbed of the tech and other other economic activity that it is, bring all the jobs and families to the area.
    Housing. is hugely expensive there. This coming from a guy who pays $10k a year in property taxes. With all that said. Long as I dont work for SPD, I wouldnt mind living there. The only reason I left was because I got a job at a destination department back home.

Comment

• Originally posted by Decided View Post

What is so bad about Seattle specifically compared to other agencies? The pay and equipment appears to be good. Some of the things you seem to complain about are common in almost all law enforcement agencies.

To give you a small idea of what it's like where I work, 90 percent of the calls are mental health calls/dealing with homeless disturbances; pointing a TASER at someone is a use of force; unholstering your handgun/TASER automatically turns on body cameras; the newest patrol vehicle in my division is 12 years old and they do not have computers; and the departments radio system was built in the 1960's and is frequently subjected to outages; there is no online civilian reporting system so we have to paper some seriously nonsense calls that other agencies can refer R/P's to document themselves; we have a 1:3 supervisor per officer ratio that results in heavily micromanagement and a few times results in more sergeants than officers working; if you get injured in the line of duty and you're still out after 1.5 years, you're on your own as the department stops paying you; and on top of that, it takes 26 years to get to the top pay step (approx 106K). As for the positives, we work steady 4/10's and getting time off isn't usually an issue, and we almost never 'stack' calls.

It would be nice to specifically hear what is wrong other than 'it sucks' or 'the DOJ ruined it.'
      I think I have written numerous examples over my time on this forum so I would point you to those so I dont write them all over.But in short getting written up with full investigations just because someone makes a claim... and keep in mind here they dont have to participate in the IA. no written explaining, no followup... they can basically write a note on a napkin that "Ofc so-so racially profiled me," with nothing else and a fake name and phone number, and you are getting rung up.

And A lot of what you are talking about agency-wise is not the norm around here. Most western WA agencies have good equipment. Yeah we all deal with massive homeless issues, but many agencies have newer cars, and a decent radio system, and good pay and benefits. so why deal with Seattle where the city council will throw you under the bus no matter what? Supervisors here will basically beg you not to do policework to avoid the paperwork and scrutiny.

Comment

• I lived and worked in the PNW (WA and OR) for several years and agree with the sentiment that it's a great locale. I rafted or kayaked many of the rivers, hunted elk in eastern Oregon, and had more adventures than I could ever count. It's easy to go somewhere really cool for a three day weekend- the Olympic mountains, the Oregon coast, Lake Tahoe, and Idaho is an absolute adventurer's playground.

I could write a whole travelogue on hidden gems, like the Silver City ghost town in Idaho, a time warp back to 1890. Or the Owyhee canyon in Oregon, a spectacular moonscape of 1000 foot deep basalt walls made from lava flows 30 million years ago. Or Earnest Hemingway's grave in Ketchum, Idaho. And if there's a more beautiful mountain rimmed lake than Lake Crescent in WA, I haven't found it.

THAT SAID, the big cities suck. Seattle and Portland are over-hyped, over-priced, Antifa-loving, cop-hating cesspools.

So basically there are two PNWs: one where an average house will cost $660K, and the other where an average house will cost $109K:

https://www.zillow.com/king-county-wa/home-values/

https://www.zillow.com/harney-county-or/home-values/

I get that most jobs are in the big metro areas, and the lure of a bigger paycheck and hire bonus. But the best places to live and work may be the ones lesser known.....

Chance favors the prepared mind.

-Louis Pasteur

Comment

Last edited by Decided; 02-25-2020, 06:49 PM.
        Play stupid games and win stupid prizes. An all expenses paid trip with travel, meals, and accommodations included!

Comment

• I work for SPD as a recruit in the academy and everything these folks are saying about the department is a lie. Literally, nothing they are saying is true.

i have never seen such a sad thing in my life.

dont let these folks scare you away from the best department in wa state.

Comment

• You are in the academy. You aren't a cop. You should not comment on things you know nothing about.
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattlePDAspire View Post
              I work for SPD as a recruit in the academy and everything these folks are saying about the department is a lie. Literally, nothing they are saying is true.

You are insane at worst and ignorant at best.

Comment

• Sounds like SPDAspire is drinking the "Kool-Aid". Toxic Kool-Aid that is.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattlePDAspire View Post
                  I work for SPD as a recruit in the academy and everything these folks are saying about the department is a lie. Literally, nothing they are saying is true.

Dude. I usually stay silent, but your in the academy! You haven't seen anything yet. These guys have years on! I do not work on the west coast, but I looked into transferring many years ago, and decided against it. Everyone has their own opinion. Your just a rookie, which means you have not been exposed to nothing yet! Read and humble yourself!

Comment

• Originally posted by jehende View Post

Your just a rookie, which means you have not been exposed to nothing yet! Read and humble yourself!
                    You're assuming hes going to finish the academy and FTO to make it to be a rookie....
                    "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."- George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

• Hey guys, a recruit has given his wisdom. Plz only talk nice and no more "lies".

Comment

• Can we get a pros and cons from current officers with Seattle? I see many of you seem to not like your department. Any pros? Or just all cons? Are most of you commenting in the patrol division? Not belittling anything you guys have said but you know every work force you interview you’ll have a minority of employees that thinks it’s terrible and hate the company. Just trying to decipher here. Appreciate you guys

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleRain View Post
                          Can we get a pros and cons from current officers with Seattle? I see many of you seem to not like your department. Any pros? Or just all cons? Are most of you commenting in the patrol division? Not belittling anything you guys have said but you know every work force you interview you’ll have a minority of employees that thinks it’s terrible and hate the company. Just trying to decipher here. Appreciate you guys
                          There are plusses for some people. The money is good. And you will never get harassed for not doing anything. So if you like to get paid for not working, this is the place to be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Talan View Post
                            Just got my final offer letter in the mail from SPD, starting in March. My wife and I are looking for places to buy a home up there. Any recommendations, we are out of state. We are looking within an hour of Seattle for commute time and favoring the south due to the academy in Burien.
                            First of all, congratulations. Everything you have heard about SPD is pretty close to true as far as I know. I do know a couple officers that work there who actually do like it. I think the numbers in regards to who is happy go much higher once you get out of patrol. I would agree that most patrol officers are not overly happy but I haven't talked to a lot of guys in specialty units who are unhappy. With that being said, get into the academy, learn as much as you can, graduate, learn from your FTO's, graduate from FTO, keep your head down for the next 8 or so months and get off probation. Once you get to the 2 year mark, you will qualify as a lateral to every agency in the state except for WSP. If overall you like SPD but hate working patrol, apply for a specialized unit, if not, lateral out.

One thing you have going for you is that you are brand new. This means you don't know any better. Most of these responses you are getting are from experienced police officers. This means they know the difference between a good agency and a not so good agency. With that knowledge, a lot of them would never work for SPD. Being that you don't know any better, that is in your favor. An outlandish analogy but one I think works is imagine if you never had steak but was raised on liver, everyone might tell you steak is better than liver but if you've never had steak, you really don't know what your missing or how much better it could be. Once you go have steak, you won't be able to imagine you ate liver your whole life and wish you started eating steak many years ago.

As far was where to live. The traffic here is no joke. I lateralled here from Dallas, TX (Dallas metro area has around 8-9 million people, Seattle metro has less that 4 million. However, the traffic is way worse here due to the lack of roadways and the area is split by water. It is imperative to live close to work no matter how much it costs. DO NOT BUY A HOUSE RIGHT AWAY. Get through the academy and get off probation first. Once you get off probation and are in a permanent precinct, then you can look into buying a house. If you are a single guy with no GF or kids, I might just rent a room somewhere near the academy. This way it is month to month, no traffic and when you get out of the academy, you can rent an apartment in or near your precinct. If you have a significant other, then I would look at apartments in Renton (Renton is by far the nicest but most expensive) Tukwilla, Sea-Tac, Des Moines, Federal Way, Kent. If you have school aged children, you may want to use www.greatschools.com to take a look at the school ratings. Also, once you've narrowed it down to a few apartments, contact the local police department, speak with a detective and explain you just got hired at SPD and you don't know the area and wanted to let them know the apartments you were thinking about renting, they will tell you if you should rent there or not, and if not, ask them which apartments they would rent from if they were looking for an apartment. Thats what I did and it helped immensely.

It won't help for the academy but SPD starts/stops their shifts at unusual hours purposely. This is done so you start and get off during low traffic times. However, I have heard they are going to a 4 on 3 off schedule later this year. I am not sure how the start/end times will be effected by that.

I hope this helps and good luck to you. Welcome to the family.

Comment

• Just wanted to give a timeline for my SPD process since past timelines were helpful when I applied.

Tested on July 13, 2019 with 89% on the written. PAT next day with 100% and oral board the following day with verbal pass.
                              9/4 - Assigned BI
                              9/18 - Met with BI
                              10/10 - Polygraph - verbal pass
                              10/29 - Psych
                              11/18 - Medical
                              12/10 - Final offer
                              BLEA class 806 in March and start Pre-BLEA on 1/31.

Can someone PM me what to expect at Pre-BLEA? It would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance
                              Last edited by Henyo; 01-21-2020, 02:23 PM.

Comment

• FedGoLEO
                                FedGoLEO commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Once you get your final offer and you accept, do you start earning recruit pay immediately? Even while on PRE-BLEA?

• Henyo
                                Henyo commented
                                Editing a comment
                                You get recruit pay upon entering Pre-BLEA up until BLEA graduation.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5586 users online. 330 members and 5256 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X