Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orientation date is 10/24. So in about 3 weeks. 22 days exactly.

BLEA 800 is my class on 12/4.

Comment

• What is the outlook for laterals? Does SPD accept laterals year round?

Comment

• Originally posted by Saluki89 View Post
        What is the outlook for laterals? Does SPD accept laterals year round?
        Oh yes. Can't stop the bleeding fast enough to take breaks from hiring

Comment

• SLane
          SLane commented
          Editing a comment
          Why don’t you transfer to another department? What don’t you like about SPD?

• MichaelW1982
          MichaelW1982 commented
          Editing a comment
          I plan to. But have too many open OPAs right now. Which is one of many reasons to not work here... you will get investigated for everything you do

• SLane
          SLane commented
          Editing a comment
          Completely different topic, but do you bring your duty weapon home? I can't seem to find information online about that.

• MichaelW1982
          MichaelW1982 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep sure do

• Thanks for the info!

Comment

• BelieveTheHype
          BelieveTheHype commented
          Editing a comment
          Did you get offered a position?

• SLane
          SLane commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup! I’m currently in pre BLEA training

• BelieveTheHype
          BelieveTheHype commented
          Editing a comment
          SLane congrats man, you should be in it with SeattlePDAspire. Enjoy, hopefully ill be there soon too.

• Hey all -

SPD is looking to hire several people in the remainder of the year and through all of next year. The department is down several bodies, and testing is coming up for both lateral hires and entry-level.

It's a...complicated...place to work. Starting salary is 81k, laterals are 91. Up to 111k after 4.5 years on patrol.

If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

Comment

• Iamkre8
          Iamkre8 commented
          Editing a comment
          How many positions are open?

• It's a...complicated...place to work.
        Lol. Appreciate the honesty.

Other things known to be complicated:

Relationships
        Surgeries
        Time travel
        Quantum mechanics
        Global warming
        The connection between Pi and gravity
        The Finnish language
        Defining the word "the"
        Avril Lavigne songs

What does not kill you will likely try again.

Comment

• Anyone on here from October 2019 testing group? Been a year since my last application with SPD.
          Timeline so far:
          October 19th: Written Exam: 89%
          Video Exam: 94%
          Rank 103/206
          October 26th: Physical Fitness: Perfect scores on all 4 events
          November 2nd: Oral Board passed

Now its the waiting game for me, last year I scored an 84% on the written and took me 2 full months before my BI called, im guessing it will be around the same time this year, although I have read online SPD is trying to expedite the process since reports show its taking about 184 days for an applicant to be hired and that was causing some issues in recruiting. Who knows though just time to be patient, and ready to make it past polygraph this time.

Good luck everyone
          Last edited by BelieveTheHype; 11-07-2019, 02:29 PM.

Comment

• Our next test is coming up soon in January. Applications are open online. Be sure to attend a test prep workshop. https://www.seattle.gov/police/police-jobs

Comment

• Originally posted by BelieveTheHype View Post
              Anyone on here from October 2019 testing group? Been a year since my last application with SPD.
              Timeline so far:
              October 19th: Written Exam: 89%
              Video Exam: 94%
              Rank 103/206
              October 26th: Physical Fitness: Perfect scores on all 4 events
              November 2nd: Oral Board passed

Now its the waiting game for me, last year I scored an 84% on the written and took me 2 full months before my BI called, im guessing it will be around the same time this year, although I have read online SPD is trying to expedite the process since reports show its taking about 184 days for an applicant to be hired and that was causing some issues in recruiting. Who knows though just time to be patient, and ready to make it past polygraph this time.

Good luck everyone
              I was at the October 2019 test as well. I doubt we hear back til late December or January to be honest. I had a 90% on the written and high 80% on video, 100% on all PAT tests and passed board as well. Hope we hear back sooner than later!

Comment

• BelieveTheHype
                BelieveTheHype commented
                Editing a comment
                Ya keep us updated, I will be surprised as well if we hear back this month or next. My guess will be the same as last year. January time frame, specially with SPD doing a new round of testing in January as well.

• AmatureSwami314
                AmatureSwami314 commented
                Editing a comment
                I was in the October testing group as well. My process has moved along despite everything going on.

Oct 19th Written Exam 82%
                Video 82%
                Rank 165/208
                Oct 26th Physical Fitness Passed everything not perfect though.
                Nov 3 Oral Board passed
                Jan 10 Contacted by background Det
                Feb 6 Met with background Det
                March 17 Passed Polygraph
                April 4 Background packets received by family members
                May 12 References getting interviewed by phone by Background Det
                June 3 Passed Psychological Exam
                Will have my medical exam June 18th

Long process but glad it's almost over. Ready to get into the Academy and get started.
                Last edited by AmatureSwami314; 06-05-2020, 01:22 PM.

• Scheduled to test Jan 11-14. Any suggestions for accommodations? Never been to Seattle.

Comment

• BelieveTheHype
                BelieveTheHype commented
                Editing a comment
                Depends. If you wanna spend a little but have a good Seattle experience you could book downtown at the Four Seasons Hotel. Right across the street from some solid sushi at Japonessa, and Pike Place Brewery is also across the street. You will be right on the water and be a couple blocks away from Pike Place, Starbucks Coffee, gum wall, and other cool places to see.

Other than that there will be a ton of hotels to choose from, just depends what you would like to do and see with your down time, and how far you wanna travel for such. Testing will be at University of Washington campus, but the physical will be about 20 mins south in Burien. SPD headquarters for oral boards and polygraph, etc will also be close to the Four Seasons.

• If I fall the physical test Can I retest it ?

Comment

• BelieveTheHype
                BelieveTheHype commented
                Editing a comment
                No sorry. Seattle PD does not allow retests on the physical fitness. If you fail any portion of the physical fitness or hiring process you must wait 6 months before you can reapply.

• BelieveTheHype
                BelieveTheHype commented
                Editing a comment
                Correction on that to - if you dont do well on pushups and situps you can redo those after the 300m sprint, and 1.5 mile run. However the 1.5 run and 300m sprint are pass or fail, and you have to pass those to go back in the gym and redo your push ups and sit ups.

• Pushed back to April to test; will be an exceptional entry at that point vs new entry. Seattle seems like a nice place although I've never been there. Maybe someone can try to talk me out of it before I commit to making the jump if I get an offer.

Comment

Pushed back to April to test; will be an exceptional entry at that point vs new entry. Seattle seems like a nice place although I've never been there. Maybe someone can try to talk me out of it before I commit to making the jump if I get an offer.
                Before I go into my arguments for why you shouldn't go there, what exactly makes Seattle PD appealing to you?
                "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."- George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

• Saluki89
                  Saluki89 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  81k starting. Mountains. Water. Not the midwest.

• COMoparfan392
                  COMoparfan392 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Where to begin....I would highly recommend spending several days there, if not a week, to make sure you actually like it. Next, while the money sounds appealing, you either have to commute 90+ mins with GOOD traffic to afford a house or work OT on every day off to afford to live in a decent place in King County. Look up rentals costs vs your current city....Also, out of the dozen or so SPD officers I've met, not one of them actually enjoys their job, they've all told me that the stress is only made tolerable by the amount per hour they make in OT. Their UOF policy is a Bible, the King County DA's office is quick to throw them under the bus, none of the city officials are supportive, mayor included. And to top it off, you get to deal with the syringe infested homeless camps everywhere around the city. Ask MichaelW1982 and he will be able to confirm this or just go back into the several last pages of this post to see his experience. If money is your end-all be all solution then go for it but Godspeed and good luck....

• MichaelW1982
                  MichaelW1982 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  COM pretty much hit the nail on the head. You get OPA'd so often that it makes it impossible to leave. Hell... if you catch up on the forums you'll see how long I've been trying to leave but I keep getting hit in the nads with complaints that are auto-turned into investigations because I keep doing policework that I can't lateral out... Newest one was a 220 woman who was spitting on a downtown window. I told her to stop.. she told me to F off... I told her again to stop... she told me to F off.. then she kicked the window, so I cuffed her... she said I was profiling her (she's white... I'm white...) and now I'm back on the desk. Pretty cool place. Oh but sorry I guess I cant speak the truth because we have new recruits on these forums who say I'm wrong and don't know what I'm talking about because our recruiter shined them on and they have all this almost-in-academy experience to speak from... sorry

• COMoparfan392
                  COMoparfan392 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  MichaelW1982 but the SPD recruiter told them it’s all lilacs and lollipops so it must be true....

Pushed back to April to test; will be an exceptional entry at that point vs new entry. Seattle seems like a nice place although I've never been there. Maybe someone can try to talk me out of it before I commit to making the jump if I get an offer.

That attractive $80K a year salary doesn't quite go as far when you consider the median cost of a house in King County is $700,000...

Other reasons to avoid Seattle:

Police hating politicians and policy makers are ubiquitous
                Constant drizzle for 9 months of the year
                Hipsters

Here's a secret: the cost of living and the quality of life is 10X better on the lee side of the cascades. Places like Spokane, Tri-Cities, and Pullman. Oregon has a few gems too like Bend, Pendleton and Baker City. The sun shines 250 days a year, housing is cheaper, and politicians and people value the police instead of hating them. Plus most of the land is owned by the Govt so there's abundant places to hunt, fish, kayak, raft, hike, ride atvs and snowmobiles, etc.

Seattle is overrated. So is Portland.

What does not kill you will likely try again.

Comment

• Originally posted by ratatatat View Post

that attractive $80k a year salary doesn't quite go as far when you consider the median cost of a house in king county is $700,000...

Other reasons to avoid seattle:

Police hating politicians and policy makers are ubiquitous
                  constant drizzle for 9 months of the year
                  hipsters

here's a secret: The cost of living and the quality of life is 10x better on the lee side of the cascades. Places like spokane, tri-cities, and pullman. Oregon has a few gems too like bend, pendleton and baker city. The sun shines 250 days a year, housing is cheaper, and politicians and people value the police instead of hating them. Plus most of the land is owned by the govt so there's abundant places to hunt, fish, kayak, raft, hike, ride atvs and snowmobiles, etc.

Seattle is overrated. So is portland.

Preach! If you're willing to tolerate all that BS for 25 years then go for it and God bless you but there's many reasons they're on a hiring spree....
                  Last edited by COMoparfan392; 12-23-2019, 11:48 AM.
                  "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."- George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4800 users online. 329 members and 4471 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X