300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to WA from SC (certified LE)

Hello, I’m going to be moving to Washington state in the next 6 months or so. My other half is getting stationed at Bangor Navy base. She’s from WA (Olympia) so she’s very familiar with the geography though I’ve never left the east coast. She tells me we will probably live around Bremerton or Port Orchard. I’d like to get some first hand info from y’all about any good agencies in the area whether it’s state, county, or municipal.

A little about me: I’m a deputy for a Sheriff’s office near Charleston, SC. I’ve got 2 years experience as a reserve deputy (from what info I can gather online, WA and SC reserves are exactly the same thing) and currently 7 months full time/regular certified. I’ve seen a few departments hiring mentioning that for a lateral you need 1 year of exp. post certification/field training, my 1 year mark will be in January of 2021 which is about the time I’ll be moving so I’m not worried about that. Any info that anybody can share about the certification transfer process would be super helpful as well. I appreciate the help in advance!

I don't have any advice. But good luck policing in the Seattle Metro areas

Comment

WSCJTC runs two week academies for out-state laterals (which there are plenty of), final exam, then good to go.

They're super goofy about what qualifies for previous training... example, if you graduated FLETC land management police training between 2007-2013, good to go. But 2014... not so much.

https://cjtc.wa.gov/docs/default-sou...vrsn=9d018b3_2

Getting certification transferred shouldn't be the problem. Your problem is this: officers are leaving SPD in droves, for obvious reasons. The competition for positions in neighboring areas is intense and you are at the lower end of the experience scale.

Maybe you'll luck out and slide into a slot, but I suspect it won't be so easy.
      What does not kill you will likely try again.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
        WSCJTC runs two week academies for out-state laterals (which there are plenty of), final exam, then good to go.

They're super goofy about what qualifies for previous training... example, if you graduated FLETC land management police training between 2007-2013, good to go. But 2014... not so much.

https://cjtc.wa.gov/docs/default-sou...vrsn=9d018b3_2

Getting certification transferred shouldn't be the problem. Your problem is this: officers are leaving SPD in droves, for obvious reasons. The competition for positions in neighboring areas is intense and you are at the lower end of the experience scale.

Maybe you'll luck out and slide into a slot, but I suspect it won't be so easy.
        That makes perfect sense, thank you for the insight!

Comment

I've been here a few years, feel free to PM me with some questions if you'd like. Even if they're unorthodox, I get that quite a lot at work anyway.

Comment

Usually departments want 2 years for "lateral" but they count any certified fulltime officer as "exceptional entry."

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelW1982 View Post
              Usually departments want 2 years for "lateral" but they count any certified fulltime officer as "exceptional entry."
              I get that. I’m not sure how Washington views the term “lateral”, I know some states it carries more weight than others. Here in SC the terms lateral and “certified” are pretty interchangeable. It’s very rare for someone to move from one department to another and keep any rank or start out anywhere other than patrol, even with years or a decade of experience at a neighboring department.

All that being said I’m 100% on board with being a bottom of the ladder rookie, because I am one. I’m just trying to avoid having to redo an entire academy program. So is “exceptional entry” more of what I’m looking for? I have seen that term on a couple of recreating sites but wasn’t exactly sure what it meant.
              Last edited by Travyrich; 07-11-2020, 05:48 PM.

Comment

• jyong23
                jyong23 commented
                Editing a comment
                With you being 7 months on full time, most agencies will classify you as an exceptional entry. I checked CJTC's equivalency reciprocity list and they accept SC's academy. You will only need to attend the 2 week equivalency class.
                Last edited by jyong23; 07-19-2020, 02:00 PM.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4084 users online. 255 members and 3829 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X