300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revamping the community corrections division

AFAIK, as a volunteer at a community corrections field office, a community corrections officer(parole officer) is a pretty good job. However I believe there are some changes that need to be made, especially for the law enforcement aspect of the job. I currently do not how these changes can be made as I imagine it would be very hard to make changes without a significant event to occur that would warrant the change.

To start I think the community corrections division of the department of corrections should be it’s own agency/entity. As it stands now the community corrections division is just that, a division with the prison division being the other. This can be a problem because in terms of budget, they would have to be split between the two division with prisons receiving more than their community corrections counterparts. Unity under one leadership is also a problem given how the prisons division is more favored which makes it hard for the community corrections division to get any new changes or new equipment.

The next things seems minor but when you look up the job of a community corrections officer position on governmentjobs, the “law enforcement” category is not present whereas when you look up a position as a regular correctional officer it is there. I believe this attracts the wrong crowd and it has. The community corrections division has a significant portion of officers that are 100% social worker. As in they refuse to acknowledge they are law enforcement officers, carry a firearm, make arrest and all the other law enforcement duties of a parole officer. That is unacceptable and really makes the community corrections division look bad to other law enforcement agencies. I spoke with some local law enforcement officers about them and they mentioned how “lazy” they were. Well I am sure now you all know why that is.

These next changes should help with mitigating the amount of social worker oriented applicants. Not to say that the job itself should not be part social work though as I believe they should be balanced with law enforcement. If I had to choose, I would prefer the position to be more law enforcement oriented.

The hiring qualifications should be changed as currently a bachelors degree in any field is a requirement to apply. This is a problem because of how many law enforcement applicants do not even have a bachelors degree. I think the division should allow those with an associates degree with at least 2 years work experience. This will help increase the applicant pool.

The hiring process needs to be revamped. Currently it is just, application, oral board, background CHECK, and a psychological evaluation for those who want to carry a firearm. It needs to be inline with other law enforcement agencies, to include, Written test, Physical test, Oral Board, Background Investigation, polygraph, psychological examination, and medical/physical examination.

The community corrections division has their own CJTC certified law enforcement academy for their officers that is 200 hours. From what I can gather, they train in criminal law/procedure, Defensive Tactics, Use of Force, Firearms, Taser, OC training and other blocks specific to the job of a CCO. They should remove the topics that are taught in BLEA. Community corrections officer should attend BLEA or BLERA and after, attend the community corrections academy which only teaches the parts of the job that is specific to a CCO. This would help with CCO’s being seen as “real cops” since they would at least have the same certification of every other law enforcement officer in WA. Only about 20% of CCO’s have BLEA or BLERA training.

Finally, I think they should be given the authority to enforce the Washington state criminal code to anyone. Currently they can, only to those supervised by the department of corrections. It seems unlikely for it to happen anytime soon when you have the liquor and cannabis board who are more closer to being state police officers than CCO’s being denied the authority to enforce Title 9A almost a decade ago. At the very least give something like RCW 79A.05.162 so that CCO’s have some level of authority to protect anyone from serious physical injury. RCW 79A.05.162 was granted to Washington state park rangers to have some level of authority to protect when they are out of their jurisdiction.

What do WA law enforcement agencies/officers or others of Washington state think about this? What do you agree on or disagree on and why? How could someone go about making these changes? The department of corrections is a member of the WASPC so I feel like there is a chance for expanded authority at least.
    Last edited by Peacefulness; 05-15-2020, 02:41 PM.

Any updated information about WA DOC? Do you know where the office falls on the social worker or law enforcement spectrum?

Have an interview coming up with them soon. Any idea how fed probation compares in terms of daily schedule, authority, time in the field?
    Last edited by Winter_Patriot; 08-06-2020, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Winter_Patriot View Post
      Any updated information about WA DOC? Do you know where the office falls on the social worker or law enforcement spectrum?

Have an interview coming up with them soon. Any idea how fed probation compares in terms of daily schedule, authority, time in the field?
      They are expecting lay offs soon so keep that in mind. In terms of being proactive or a social worker who sits in the office all day is solely dependant on the office you work at and their status quo. I was lucky enough to be at a proactive office and some days & late nights were just in the field looking for felony DOC warrants and getting office work done on a laptop in the vehicle with a partner. Depending on the office you might get 4 10's, or it might be seniority based like mine was. I was DOC CCD for almost 3 years / DT instructor before I went PD. You can message me the office you're applying at and I can tell you what it's like.

Comment

• Winter_Patriot
        Winter_Patriot commented
        Editing a comment
        Will send you a PM. Thanks!

Originally posted by Winter_Patriot View Post

I believe at the office where I volunteer at, there is a CCO who went to fed probation but came back to CCD within a year because he was not getting enough field time and was in the office 90% of the time. I don't know which office/district he was at for fed probation but I have been told it is like DOC CCD in that each office is kind of like their own department with the way they do things and whether it is more law enforcement or social worker oriented.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2794 users online. 147 members and 2647 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X