Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auburn PD DQ Appeal

Good evening,

Is anyone familiar with the Auburn PD DQ Appeal process? I understand that the Civil Service Board meets on the 2nd Tuesday of each month and reviews appeals. Is the Board pretty timely in communicating their decision? Will they communicate whether I won or lost the appeal?

I got my DQ letter and it caught me off guard, because Auburn did not pull my credit or my PHQ from Public Safety Testing. There were several internal background forms that I completed prior to and at my Oral Board and there was nothing even marginal disclosed on the forms. I received a call from the HR Representative to discuss my background and I called her back and left at least two voices mails and an e-mail with no response. Three weeks later I got the DQ letter.

I hand delivered my appeal letter to the City of Auburn HR office in Mid February and I have not heard back.

Thank you,
    DL

Try moving on from Auburn and seeing what happens with your other applications. I think that folks shouldn't really put much effort into trying to get a PD that told you No Thanks to reverse course and hire them. Just my opinion.

Comment

I would never advocate appealing a DQ. If they DQ you, move on. If it's legit it'll be a problem elsewhere too, so your appeal wouldn't have mattered. If it isn't a problem elsewhere then it was the department and I can't imagine wanting to work for them after they didn't want me.

Comment

Originally posted by SeatacSTEP View Post
        I got my DQ letter and it caught me off guard, because Auburn did not pull my credit or my PHQ from Public Safety Testing. There were several internal background forms that I completed prior to and at my Oral Board and there was nothing even marginal disclosed on the forms. I received a call from the HR Representative to discuss my background and I called her back and left at least two voices mails and an e-mail with no response. Three weeks later I got the DQ letter.

I hand delivered my appeal letter to the City of Auburn HR office in Mid February and I have not heard back.
        I'm curious as to what you based your appeal on if you don't know why you were disqualified.

There are only two successful basis for appealing a background DQ:

1. A mistake was made or misinformation was received upon which someone erroneously determined you meet their criteria for disqualification.

2. The criteria used to disqualify you has no valid relationship to the position you are seeking (requiring an advanced calculus degree for a dishwasher position).

If you don't know why they disqualified you, it is impossible to argue your appeal

If you appeal simply asked for reconsideration because you really, really, really want the job or feel you are otherwise deserving, you can pretty much expect it to be denied.

Civil service appeals are not for the faint of heart. They are complicated, follow specific law and procedures and generally require the services of an attorney who is versed in such matters. Your first instinct is to say you can't afford an attorney. However, a 30 year career of a California police officer may pay you over $5 Million. The 20 year retirement that follows may pay you an additional $3.25 million. With this in mand I ask, can you afford not to hire an attorney?

Now, someone else mentioned the foolhardiness of forcing yourself on an agency that does not want you. There is wisdom in their advice. But at the same time, it is equally important to find out why you have been disqualified. If an error was made in your background, you need to find out what it is so you have an opportunity to correct it and ensure that misninformation does not dog your in future applications. OTOH, if there is a legitimate reason for disqualification, you need to learn what it is so (if possible) you can take whatever steps are nessary to rehabilitate your personal history and make yourself a viable candidate in the future or if not, stop wasting your time making additional applications.

Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thank you all for the feedback.

I did not take the decision to file the appeal lightly. I agree, that it's futile to force myself onto a department that does not want me. With that said, I took the fact that the HR representative took the time to call me to discuss my background as a good sign. If there was something disqualifying, I believe that they would have just sent me a DQ letter. Past experience has taught me that departments will usually DQ you by e-mail or letter and not by phone.

The basis of my appeal was simply that I believed if the HR representative and I were able to connect, it is possible that we could have discussed any possible concerns in my background and resolved them. While I understand that it is unlikely that I will win the appeal, I really want to work for Auburn and I felt that it was worth exploring every option. I have reached out to the individual, specified in the DQ letter and it is the same HR representative who called regarding my background and I have not heard back.

DL

Comment

They don’t want you. Is that plain enough? You have ZERO idea of what or who did a data pull on you, nor will you ever find out.

Why is it so complicated that No means No?
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Understood.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                They don’t want you. Is that plain enough? You have ZERO idea of what or who did a data pull on you, nor will you ever find out.

Why is it so complicated that No means No?
                This is soo true. Very rarely are applicants told why they are DQ'd for a background checks and psych and such. In part because that information does not belong to the applicant. It belongs to the city. And I highly doubt the HR representative would tell you anything substantive because that would put his butt to the fire if it ever got out that he was letting this information get out. So I find it hard to believe that he would reveal anything worthwhile. Sometimes the PD will disclose to HR that the person is qualified for hire, or not qualified for hire because the PD will keep tabs on that information. Background investigations can reveal some very personal information.

I was DQ'd to a lot of times and sometimes I did get a phone call stating I was DQ'd and SOMETIMES I got a letter afterwards. Other times, the phone call was all I got.

Once I got DQ'd at an agency and they would not tell me why I was DQ'd during the psych exam. I applied to another agency. I looked like a decent applicant on paper and she told me it was odd that I DQ'd 5 or 6 times at the psych exam. So she did some leg work and spoke to the other BG detectives at the other agencies. They disclosed to HER, another LEO doing a background investigation why I was getting booted at psych exams. She then told me I would not have an issue at their psych exam, of which I did not was subsequently hired there. But when I asked at every agency why did I get DQ'd I got crickets. And thats just how the business goes.

Yup, you may wanna work for Auburn, but if you wanna be the police still, then you need to move on the next application.

Comment

Originally posted by SeatacSTEP View Post

I did not take the decision to file the appeal lightly. I agree, that it's futile to force myself onto a department that does not want me. With that said, I took the fact that the HR representative took the time to call me to discuss my background as a good sign. If there was something disqualifying, I believe that they would have just sent me a DQ letter. Past experience has taught me that departments will usually DQ you by e-mail or letter and not by phone.

The basis of my appeal was simply that I believed if the HR representative and I were able to connect, it is possible that we could have discussed any possible concerns in my background and resolved them. While I understand that it is unlikely that I will win the appeal, I really want to work for Auburn and I felt that it was worth exploring every option. I have reached out to the individual, specified in the DQ letter and it is the same HR representative who called regarding my background and I have not heard back.

DL
                  Them calling you is not indicative of anything, especially of having a chance to win an appeal.

Comment

I have spoken with Auburn HR and got some feedback. Fortunately, it won't be an issue for the department that I am almost done in their process.

Regards,
                    DL

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2728 users online. 145 members and 2583 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X