300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Protective Service Police In Seattle-Tacoma area

Federal Protective Service have been seen many times in Seattle Tacoma and many local agencies I’ve talked to have dealt with them but also don’t know much about them either. I’m wondering if anyone here might know where their office is located for this region. FPS has been very discrete in both information about them and how to apply and I’m very interested in working at this federal agency. I know they had a job fair at joint base Lewis last year but were only hiring veterans. So if anyone knows an FPS officer could you give me a PM? I would really like to meet with some of them to hopefully get on with them.

Unless you're a veteran, they only hire by resume at military career fairs.
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Last month you wanted to be a Park Ranger and this month, FPS police.The agencies you are looking at do very non-traditional types of police work. FPS duties are mostly security for federal buildings and physical security systems. Their training academy does not meet the WA standards to lateral to a local agency if that is something you are wanting to do. You won’t be our doing vehicle stops, responding to burglaries etc. Your duties will be mostly securing buildings and property. Their pay and benefits are generally quite a bit lower than most WA departments in and around metropolitan areas and their hiring process usually takes a lot longer. FPS Police, VA Police, Amtrak Police, Federal Reserve Police, Railroad Police, NASA Police etc are all agencies that will not really assist you in career mobility or specialty options for that matter either.

Comment

• Decided
        Decided commented
        Editing a comment
        Not trying to derail (no pun intended) the thread but as an FYI; in some states Amtrak Police are locally certified and have to attend a state accredited training academy, not FLETC. While it is more a security oriented job than municipal policing, Amtrak PD does everything that a municipal PD does (in the state I work in) including traffic, domestics, enforcing municipal/state law and handling serious crimes.

As far as I'm aware, they only have one detective assigned to WA, so most of this may not apply. In the northeast there are hundreds of officers and its more of a traditional police department.
        Last edited by Decided; 01-17-2020, 11:27 AM.

Originally posted by NightRover View Post
      Last month you wanted to be a Park Ranger and this month, FPS police.The agencies you are looking at do very non-traditional types of police work. FPS duties are mostly security for federal buildings and physical security systems. Their training academy does not meet the WA standards to lateral to a local agency if that is something you are wanting to do. You won’t be our doing vehicle stops, responding to burglaries etc. Your duties will be mostly securing buildings and property. Their pay and benefits are generally quite a bit lower than most WA departments in and around metropolitan areas and their hiring process usually takes a lot longer. FPS Police, VA Police, Amtrak Police, Federal Reserve Police, Railroad Police, NASA Police etc are all agencies that will not really assist you in career mobility or specialty options for that matter either.
      You seem to really have an issue with those who have interest in many different kinds of law enforcement positions. You also seem to have this assumption that my "end goal" is to be a fully commissioned peace officer but really it is not. Ill take whatever I can get given that I have done some research on an agency and how they do their work. Is it wrong to have so many interest ? I for one am fascinated with all the different kinds of work different law enforcement officers do. I have done enough research to have a basic idea of how FPS does their work as they are like security police and I am fine with it.

Comment

• NightRover
        NightRover commented
        Editing a comment
        I have no issue with those who have interest in non-traditional law enforcement positions whatsoever. I worked as a federal LEO in such a position previously. You had inquired in one of your other posts as to whether or not the park police would qualify you for a lateral more or less in WA which is why that "assumption" was there. It wasn't so much an assumption as something you had stated as being concerned about.

While I understand that you may be trying to get "whatever you can," that does not translate to longevity at the federal level. Most of those federal agencies do not have training that is consistent with one another and as such, you would find yourself going through academy after academy and FTO etc over and over until you decide to settle down. Your best bet is to find the actual place you want to be and apply there if you are looking only at federal agencies. We had plenty of foot in the door types where I worked as a fed. They were not well liked because they always had one foot out the door and the ones that didn't actually leave who became stuck for one reason or another were the most miserable people to work with because it turned into just a paycheck for them.
        Last edited by NightRover; 01-17-2020, 09:03 PM.

Peacefulness,

My advise is get on with a local police department or sheriff's department. Maybe even lean more towards a sheriff's department, due to more specialty jobs available.

If you got a clean background then it will be easy to get picked up. Local law enforcement has the hiring process down to a science and when they want someone they don't screw around. You could get hired and off to an academy in like four months, nine months at the longest.

If you like the aspect of doing security with the law enforcement officer title, apply for a local sheriff's office and work as a bailiff in the courts. It's a 9 to 5, Monday through Friday job with holidays off. Good gig for someone who wants a more laid back job, very comparable to the majority of federal LEO jobs.

Comparably local vs. federal:

Federal pay and retirement suck hands down. Don't know how feds afford it in Washington to be honest. With the exception of like FBI, Secret Service and other 1811 gigs, GS-13s and above of course.

FPS jobs require 30 years of service before you can retire. With that many years your retirement age does not matter, so you need to get in young (not sure of your current age). But numbers wise, if you start at 21 for example, 51 years old is the youngest you can retire and receive a pension. If you "pull the plug" earlier then 51 you would have to wait to you are 60 years old to draw your pension. It also requires 10 years of service for retirement vesting. You will have to be 60 years old to be able to retire with less than 30 years and more than 10 years. That sucks.

Their pension percentage is 1% per year times how ever many years you work. Example 1% per year times 30 years is 30% of your highest three years of earned income, that sucks. So say your average highest three years is $80K, your pension will be 30% of that, which is only 24K a year, that sucks.

Hiring process is VERY VERY SLOW, average time for hiring process can be one to one and a half years.

LOCAL

I'm from California so I may not have all of this completely correct, but for local Washington your pension percentage is like 2% per year and you can retire at age 53 with at least 10 years of service. Not bad. Numbers wise, lets say you do 30 years. That is 60% pension percentage. For example King County top step deputy earns over 85K a year currently, 60% of that would be a $51,000.00 a year pension, a lot better than the feds. More then twice a fed pension.

Again, hiring process is like four to nine months for local, not bad.

Pay for example in King County is over 65K to start and tops out at over 85K, not bad compared to 53K as a GS-9 for FPS, or whatever federal LEO job.

Something to think about. A lot of people get hung up on the whole federal officer thing. Not saying that you are, but don't look at the title so much, look more at the overall packages offered by both and decide from there.

Local is way better option for aspiring LEOs who live on the west and east coasts. A fed job is only really competitive for applicants who live in the heartland really and even more so for those living in the south.

Comment

• NightRover
        NightRover commented
        Editing a comment
        This is spot on. It took me two years from written exam until boots on the ground in the academy at the federal level and the pay/benefits/pension were absolutely horrible compared to the municipal/county/state benefits for LEO's in WA.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 16182 users online. 426 members and 15756 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
    Working...
    X