300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spokane County SO

This is more of a rant than anything, but I want to get some insight from those that have been through what I did and give some forewarning to those looking at agencies in the area. Sorry not sorry if anyone is offended.

I quit in the training car with SCSO and so did 4 others from my academy group. This is not uncommon with SCSO as they boast a 50% attrition rate with recruits; they don't tell you this in the hiring process. There were a few reasons why I believe some of us "washed out", but the most glaringly obvious is the personnel involved in the training department. I know that training new people isn't enjoyable; it can be frustrating to put up with their mistakes and have to explain how to do things that seem routine. But that's your job as an FTO, to cultivate the recruit and help them grow into a solid deputy/officer. Not acting like answering simple questions is the biggest waste of your time or bashing the new guy for making simple mistakes, as long as they don't keep making the same bonehead decisions over and over again. If you can't keep your composure while training somebody then you probably should rethink being an FTO. It's not that all of the FTOs that I had were that way, I went through multiple phases of the training car and learned from some awesome deputies, but it only takes that one who doesn't get along with you or doesn't have enough experience training new folks to destroy a career that you have worked for years attain. It is a lot of power for one person to have over another and to have your hopes and dreams dashed upon the rocks of despair so abruptly is the worst feeling in the world.
    Last edited by beaujangles; 04-18-2020, 11:51 AM.

beaujangles that depends. You say at the end of the day you quit? Can you dive a little deeper? Were you in FTO and decide this is not the career for you? Where you let go because of some issues out in the field? I am not an officer but I know the background detectives I have spoke to they say its very expensive to get an applicant through the hiring process and into the field and if you decided to up and quit you may have a hard time justifying that to a department who is going to spend money on you to get you back out there with other officers.

Comment

Originally posted by beaujangles View Post
      Just curious if anyone out there has been through a similar situation and what you're doing now. The short of it is that I "washed out" of the FTO program with county. I guess I shouldn't be surprised considering we were warned that only half of the boots make it off probation. Ever since I have had an uphill battle trying to get any sort of job back in LE, which I should expect because at the end of the day I quit. But I have realized after much self reflection that I still have a desire to be a cop and that I am confident in my decision to leave. I have put in for smaller departments in the area and even corrections jobs, to no avail. I get that departments have to look at candidates from a liability standpoint, but there has to be the consideration that a previous department might have failed the trainee rather than assuming the opposite. I digress; I think letting some time pass could be helpful (even though being patient is the hardest thing to do at this point) and that applying to other regions could be in my best interest. Let me know your thoughts.
      Plenty of my friends washed out of FTO with WSP and were picked up by other departments. But you do need to be real with yourself: why did you wash out? Glaring officer safety issues? Unable to be confident with violators? I can tell you for a fact that if it's officer safety related, you're SOL. Best bet at that point is to go into another career field.
      "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."- George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

From what I have seen, a lot of Officers/Deputies that wash out of an F.T.O program from fast paced agencies generally do well with a slower paced agency.

It's on the west side of the state but I'd suggest looking at smaller Snohomish County agencies such as Brier, MLT, Mukilteo and Edmonds. Those agencies have all hired certified entry officers (candidates who have less than 2 years experience with academy certificate).

And yes, a lot of agencies take into consideration that some agencies have really difficult FTO programs. But to be blunt, if you were a soup sandwich during FTO, you might have to face reality and go somewhere you really don't want to go to prove yourself.
        Last edited by jyong23; 01-13-2020, 11:05 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4049 users online. 254 members and 3795 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X