Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public Safety Testing ?'s

Hello,

I have a question regarding PD testing through PublicSafety Testing.com. I'm thinking that I should take the test for one department. Recieve all of the testing materials to study and then re-test for the full list of departmetns I'm interested in. That way I can have a maximum amount of time to prepare for the test and send my best scores on to the largest amount of PD's.
    What do you guys think?
    Is this cheating the system?
    I would simply like to have as much time as pssoible to prepare for the test.

Thanks.

Originally posted by WashingtonLE View Post
    Hello,

I have a question regarding PD testing through PublicSafety Testing.com. I'm thinking that I should take the test for one department. Recieve all of the testing materials to study and then re-test for the full list of departmetns I'm interested in. That way I can have a maximum amount of time to prepare for the test and send my best scores on to the largest amount of PD's.
    What do you guys think?
    Is this cheating the system?
    I would simply like to have as much time as pssoible to prepare for the test.

Thanks.
    This is a terrible plan, for several reasons:

PST only allows you to test once every six months, I believe. Their testing dates and locations are limited and do not run year-round, so you'd have to wait until next year to take the second test.

The PST test is not difficult--at all. If you have basic reading comprehension and mathematics skills, you'll pass the test just fine. There is no reason to pay for two tests. There is not much you need to study for, either. PST will send you a short study guide, but as I said, the test is very simple.
    "Screw that. We can make bullets faster than they can make terrorists. Kill them all. Every last one." -Interceptor

Comment

PST actually has a decent number of testing dates. If you take the test for one dept. you will still have to wait three months before you test for any other. You'd have to wait six months to retest for the same agency.

If you really want to have an advantage you should be the twenty dollar inhanced study guide. It will prepare you much better than the actual test. The study guide is over 90 questions whereas the real test is 45 questions.

Get the guide then take the test for every dept. you want to.

Comment

Something to keep in mind, as I'm going down this route soon (though I'm not sure I like the feel of cookie-cutter testing), is that some agencies not only rank by combining your written and oral board scores, they are now starting to include how well you did on your PT test. So, if there's a particular area you're struggling in, push it up to get the maximun 200 points. Not only will it secure a place in the written phase, it'll boost you above those who tested to the "just passed" line of 160 points.

And I absolutely agree on the other responses - apply for those you want to, all in one shot. While they do have a fair number of testing dates, depending on where you live they aren't all feasible, such as the date in Idaho, or of course Alaska.

And while the test IS easy, with common sense questions, it wouldn't hurt to have a good study guide boost your scores up - it's a competitive exam, and you would kick yourself later if you had gotten a poor score due to easy questions that you missed, thus putting you far down on the list.

Comment

I wouldn't call the test easy. I scored lower than any other written test I've taken, but.... wait for it..... I still had the highest score out of the entire group that took the test that day (about 50 people that passed).

If you want an easy test, come take the POST test in Oregon. Of course, just because you pass the test doesn't mean that there are any openings.
          "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!" -- Captain Lance Murdoch, The Simpsons

Comment

Oregon's POST test is not an easier test. At least not for me.

It's good to study before taking any test. It will benefit you in the long run & help place you higher in rankings. It took me a few attempts before I got through the POST test or at least high enough that I had invitations for interviews. I also invested some of my time to studying. I believe that is what helped me out with my last tests. Keep in mind when you take another test again there are different versions of that test.

Get the study guide and study. It will help you prepare mentally for the test. If you don't do well the first time, test again. Who knows? You may surprise yourself on the first test.

I think PST test is a little bit easier than the POST that is used in Oregon.

Remember, there are other people competing against you for the same job.

Best of Luck,

Keep us posted on your process.

Comment

Originally posted by Oregon Mike View Post
              I wouldn't call the test easy. I scored lower than any other written test I've taken,
              Most likely because of the subjective "personality" portion at the end. Scoring an 85%-90% is a high score on the PST test because it's easy to lose points on that last part.
              "Screw that. We can make bullets faster than they can make terrorists. Kill them all. Every last one." -Interceptor

Comment

I was told by the PST staff that 79% is an average score. I think the high score for the testing group, on the day that I took it, was what you said, 85-90%.

Comment

I've tested with PST twice. I think the highest score both times was about a 90%.

Comment

just go for it

you might as well just put all the depts that you're intersested in down...that way if you knock out the test you dont have to wait 6 months to take it again and possibly get a lower score...and if you pass, but with a real low score its not a bad idea to just fail the PT part so you can re-test in 3 months...just a thought.

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm going to take all the advice and test for all the depts. I would like to apply to in one shot.

Thanks again.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6430 users online. 375 members and 6055 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X