300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington State Patrol

Does anyone have any info onthe Washington State Patrol Aviation unit. What are the requiremants to get in? how long do you have to be a road trooper before you can apply? Do they fly airplanes and helicopters or just helicopters?

Originally posted by alpha1906 View Post
    Does anyone have any info onthe Washington State Patrol Aviation unit. What are the requiremants to get in? how long do you have to be a road trooper before you can apply? Do they fly airplanes and helicopters or just helicopters?
    I believe you have to be in at least 5 years. You become a reserve first. You have to have your FAA certifications and proper FAA approved First Aid stuff. Once hired into the aviation department you go through some WSP training and more flight training. You do not get the pay increase until after you get pass the reserve status.

I believe they just have fixed wing and no rotors.

This is what I came up with on the top of my head that I could remember. I have some official info laying around here some where but I can't find it for now. I am sure there are some on here who can get more info to you.
    Last edited by CragCrawler; 05-13-2007, 04:55 PM. Reason: more info

Comment

Yes, it's fixed wing - rotor units are used from Thurston County (although I've heard they've gotten rid of or have already gotten rid of thiers) and King County. Cessna-type aircraft with FLIR equipment. And for reserves, your training will be on your day off. Since D1 detachments are on a 4/3 schedule, you may not have a problem with it.

Comment

Thanks. Fixed wing is good. I am a commercial airpoane pilot right now. I am looking for a LE department that flies airplanes since I dont know anything about helicopters. I dontknow about the 5 years thing though. i am 38 years old now and want to get started in an aviation career soon.

Comment

Fixed wing, generally 4 years on the road first, and you do have to be a trooper.

I was 30 when I was hired, it's do-able but tough. I was (am still) COM/CFII/ASEL but flying for the Patrol is not my number one goal now. After doing all that work I want to work the road for a while!

Comment

Originally posted by birdman0 View Post
            Fixed wing, generally 4 years on the road first, and you do have to be a trooper.

I was 30 when I was hired, it's do-able but tough. I was (am still) COM/CFII/ASEL but flying for the Patrol is not my number one goal now. After doing all that work I want to work the road for a while!
            All State Patrols, you have to be a road Trooper first. Thats a given. I wa just curious as to how long. 4 years is a bit much. My goal is to be a professional pilot. I dont want to wait 4 years at the chance when I can get a flying job in les time than that.

Do you flight instruct on the side? I would think it would be a good secondary income.

Comment

Nope, I may do so later but while in training it's just too much.

Personally, I chose this because it allows me to be not totally dependent on aviation for my income. There will always be a need for cops, but I got tired of aviation's ups and downs. Plus this job has a great retirement and benefits, which you won't find in aviation until you get to the higher levels.

Comment

Well, my main goal is the airlines right now. If that doesnt work out, LE will be my back up plan. The regionals are hiring like crazy righ tnow with low mins.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5527 users online. 308 members and 5219 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X