300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLEA class 799

I have accepted an official offer of hire from KCSO a few weeks ago and will be attending academy class 799 in November. Just curious if anyone on here is going to be joining me!

Also looking for any advice/what to expect in the academy.

Thank you,
    Brittany
    Last edited by b_cpaul; 09-04-2019, 07:42 PM.

First off, congrats. You have gotten much farther in the process than hundreds who applied with you.

I graduated from the academy about a year ago and can assist. I’m not with an agency at the moment (bad culture fit), but still remember like it was yesterday.

My biggest piece of advice:

Control what you can control, and make sure you do it perfectly. They are going to throw all sorts of stuff at you, but if you take the time to prepare and expect the changes, you won’t have to worry about that.

Hope this helps and send a message if you want more. I have dozens of tips that helped me.

Comment

• b_cpaul
      b_cpaul commented
      Editing a comment
      I PM'd you!

It's been awhile since my wscjtc academy experience but here's what I remember....

Several people were sent home on Day 1 for being soup sandwiches. I recall the instructors saying our class was the first to DQ the fat bodies immediately.

First several weeks is the 'tear down' phase. Lots of mind games and situations set up for failure. It's the control and confuse training approach. Then the 'build up' phase begins.

Chow hall was usually one entrée and some brown lettuce.

Morning inspections and marching...always a great way to start a day!

They go over the rules on Day 1. One of the wscjtc rules is don't get romantically involved with a classmate during the academy. Don't break that rule.

You won't be looking in your rearview mirror when you leave on graduation day....

Good luck.

What does not kill you will likely try again.

Comment

• ArmyVet
      ArmyVet commented
      Editing a comment
      It has changed A LOT!

I'm hoping to make friendships there, but definitely nothing beyond that. Is there anything you suggest I focus on over the next two months before I start the academy?

Comment

Run, push ups, sit ups EVERY DAY.

If you are fit and PT squared away on Day One, you will immediately have respect with peers and instructors.

If you are at the bottom of the group and last across the line, well that makes it's own impression.

Comment

• b_cpaul
        b_cpaul commented
        Editing a comment
        This is great advice! Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

Mentally prepare yourself for the experience. Ready and discipline your thinking. Little things lead into big things- for example, you'll have a class on 4th amendment from a legal instructor. The class will include the definition of probable cause ("when the facts and circumstances cause a reasonable officer to believe a crime has been committed blah blah blah"). The next morning at inspection, a dog breath commander will get in your grill and ask for the definition of probable cause. If you are stammering for words and going hum uh hum, you will be reduced to two feet tall in front of your classmates...

Comment

Originally posted by b_cpaul View Post
        I accepted an official offer of hire from KCSO a few weeks ago and will be attending academy class 799 in November. Just curious if anyone on here is going to be joining me!

Thank you,
        Brittany
        Don't know much about the BLEA academy but if it's anything like the WSP academy, since you have the time I would recommend familiarizing yourself with landmark LE case law, i.e. Tennessee v. Garner and Terry v. Ohio, and the like. Even more important, if you can become familiar with KCSO's Use of Force and driving (pursuits, spike strips, etc) policies, you'll be leagues ahead of your classmates and wont be stressed out for tests. You probably could ask whoever is in charge of you before you go to the academy if you could get a copy of their policies and more than likely they'll be glad you're taking the initiative. Good luck!
        "It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived."- George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by b_cpaul View Post
          I have accepted an official offer of hire from KCSO a few weeks ago and will be attending academy class 799 in November. Just curious if anyone on here is going to be joining me!

Thank you,
          Brittany
          Congrats! Have you thought about where you're going to lateral to yet?

Know RCW 10.31.100 like it's your wife's first name.

Be in shape, but they don't do physical training or punishment during BLEA anymore. That's on you.

Don't cheat. Don't sleep with a classmate. Be on time. Flag is "optional" and by that I mean it is in no way whatsoever optional and you better be there.

Comment

Congrats! Have you thought about where you're going to lateral to yet?
            LOL'd at that one...

RE: don't go a bumping and a smushing with a classmate. People don't know how important that rule is, and how negatively it can impact one's reputation. I've been through several academies (five- a testament to my inability to stay with a job) and there were class hook-ups in each one. They weren't good situations... despite ham-handed attempts to conceal by the lovers, everyone knew, and everyone gossiped about. None of the romances worked out in the long run (one of them lead to divorce after the officer returned home to his wife and she smelled a fish) and only caused jealousies and tensions among a group of mostly 20 something single males. Don't date where you train.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2851 users online. 156 members and 2695 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X