300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any local advice?

I’ll try and make this as short as possible and to the point. Similar questions have been asked, but none quite like mine. I’m also posting this in 2 sections, one to get a police point of view, the other to get a local point of view.

Short version: 9 years ago I was discharged from the Army during basic training for “mental stress syndrome” I can give you a million excuses but essentially I made a bad decision, lied, and told a DS that I was having suicidal thoughts. When I felt like I wasn’t being taken seriously I took a couple of Tylenol, told the DS’ and was sent to the hospital and stayed the night there. I was discharged within 2 weeks. I was discharged under “uncharacterized”. I’ve never tried to have the discharge changed, it was an immature response to a problem and something that I still feel shame about to this day.

Fast forward 9 years. I’m currently 27, have worked in the medical field for the last 5 years ( little award ceremony in 2 weeks ). I have decent credit, but there are a few small blemishes along the way. I own 2 vehicles, have money in savings and am doing well on that front. I’m in decent shape and have passed every PT test that I’ve taken. I have had no history of psychological care of any sort since my time in the Army. I’ve taken a few basic handgun shooting courses, attended a “citizen’s academy” and have been on more ride-alongs than I can count. I cannot get hired to save my life.

This morning I got confirmation that I did not meet the hiring standards of the latest, and that could/would not provide any more information than that. This is after passing the written test, the PT test, the BI investigation and the polygraph. My last test was the psych interview and then a final pass-around of my packet. Keep in mind (may not make a difference) this was for a corrections position for a local county, not road deputy. This is the farthest in the process I have been in, and to be frank, this is the first time when I’ve felt really stinking hopeless about the situation.

This puts me at a grand total of 11 “No’s”. 5 of these have been for “reserve” positions, 2 for corrections, and one for a community service officer. I refuse to stop trying, I’ve wanted to have a badge on my chest since I was a boy. I’m just wondering if anyone has an advice….stories…constructive criticism….anything. Plus I’m venting.

I don't really have any advice for you, but I can say that I have a lot more no's than you do, and I'm still trying. Good luck.
    "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!" -- Captain Lance Murdoch, The Simpsons

Comment

All I can say is to keep trying!! Pierce County is currently down about 25 corrections officers.
      Just be honest in everything you are questioned about during the background/hiring process. It seems that the biggest thing that trips people up is trying to cover up or hide something about their past and then have it revealed during the polygraph.
      Stay safe.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

Comment

As it turns out...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got the letter in the mail from the civil service commission and gave the contact person a call basically to ask if I could get any information on how I failed, what portion, and if I could apply again within a certain time period. She said that I failed the BI. Apparently in my BI I was found to be deceptive and too much criminal conduct as an adult. Now I know that I told them everything that I could possibly think of. I was completely honest, and was quite forward. Quite a few things I mentioned were laughed off by the BI and poly examiner as being "way too small" to matter.

When I told the examiner that I didn't understand how that would be she suggested I appeal the decision. Has anyone done this? I don't really want to rock the boat (I'm hoping to reapply) but I cannot think of a single thing that I would have been deceptive about. I also know I had a few small things that I had done criminally as an adult, but all of them were incredibly minor, and all happend 6 to 8 years ago (27 now). Anyone have experience with appeals process in this instance?

Thanks again
          Last edited by ThursCo; 05-14-2007, 11:41 PM. Reason: forget to take out a sentence that doesn't make sense for this thread.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4599 users online. 293 members and 4306 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X