300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puyallup Police Department

Does anyone know if Puyallup Police department is hiring for entry level?

I don't believe they are. They probably have the longest list of laterals in Western Washington. Over a dozen guys I work with at SPD, that I'd say are all top notch cops have applied there and only one got hired. Right now they pretty much have there choosing of certified cops so no real reason to pick up entries.

Comment

I am on the lateral list. When I interviewed with the Chief two months ago they said they were only hiring two more guys, and they were supposed to be hired by July. They probably aren’t going to be hiring anybody for a bit.

Comment

Federal Way would love to take a look at those laterals that are waiting, give me a call, if your solid- you won’t be waiting months to get hired.
        I don't check to see if the glass is half full, I make sure its not dirty.

Comment

• scotty_appleton814
          scotty_appleton814 commented
          Editing a comment
          I love your style here. Shameless plug.
          I'd do the same buddy.

Originally posted by C Tucker View Post
        Federal Way would love to take a look at those laterals that are waiting, give me a call, if your solid- you won’t be waiting months to get hired.
        This is probably like asking an insurance salesman if a policy is important, but I'll throw this out there... How's the morale at FW? I've heard it's problematic from a couple of FWPD guys and that there are strains in leadership. It's a big thing I'm trying to research in places because I don't want to end up in the wrong place. I was real real real high on Auburn until I went on a ride along and talked to a bunch of guys there and realized it's toxic right now for them. But I'm appreciative guys were honest with me so I didn't end up there only to leave. Hoping to get some insight here to

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelW1982 View Post

This is probably like asking an insurance salesman if a policy is important, but I'll throw this out there... How's the morale at FW? I've heard it's problematic from a couple of FWPD guys and that there are strains in leadership. It's a big thing I'm trying to research in places because I don't want to end up in the wrong place. I was real real real high on Auburn until I went on a ride along and talked to a bunch of guys there and realized it's toxic right now for them. But I'm appreciative guys were honest with me so I didn't end up there only to leave. Hoping to get some insight here to
          I can't wait to see the response to this question.
          Last edited by Ratatatat; 07-24-2019, 08:33 AM.
          Gonads are useful for their purpose, but they are no substitute for brains.

-Paul Harvey

Comment

That is a great question, but the reality is that ALL agencies have the same problems, it really depends on the person who you are talking to. (how long they have been a cop, and if they had just been disciplined or if a contract is being negotiated. ) Its very subjective.

I won't say that FW is perfect, but the problems that we face have more to do with individuals ideological differences than with the agency as a whole. If i don't agree with my boss, its not that he is wrong, he just uses a different flashlight to see the problem. Admin and line officers normally never see the same problem, its a "built-in" requirement of the job.

For an example that is occurring at many agencies: The line officer wants to pursue a bad guy that refuses to stop for a traffic violation "until the wheels fall off", but society has determined through case law that because someone has expired tags, we will not put the public at risk for a civil ticket. Does that mean we will not pursue anymore, no, but there has to be limitations to avoid losing the ability to pursue all together.
            Now, if you were to ask a line officer, you may get the "we cannot do police work anymore" or "they don't trust us" response. The reality is that if we weren't restricted, we would lose the chance to pursue completely. Those types of statements impacts morale. Are those true statements? Not really, but just like on facebook, many will read/hear the title and be ready to write an opinion. Police work is changing, as it has since i started in '82 as an Explorer Scout, and going full time in 92.

So, if you are talking to cops to get a good understanding about their agency, do not just ask one. Ask different people of different "years of service" before you come to a conclusion. All of the valley agencies are solid. They have good equipment, pay is comparable, benefits, and have outstanding personnel. Our city council supports us as well as the FW population in general.

My role is not to "sell you a job." My role is to give you the information about our agency and let you decide where you want to work. I will be brutally honest and tell you what I know and what I have experienced during my 23 years of working here. I don't want you to come here and be unhappy, because we both lose. I don't get anything special for recruiting, nor do i have a quota. My boss wants the best that I can find and is willing to to go short until the best are hired. Not all agencies will commit to that.

I hope that gave some insight. You can always call me or PM me for clarification.

I don't check to see if the glass is half full, I make sure its not dirty.

Comment

Originally posted by C Tucker View Post
              That is a great question, but the reality is that ALL agencies have the same problems, it really depends on the person who you are talking to. (how long they have been a cop, and if they had just been disciplined or if a contract is being negotiated. ) Its very subjective.

I won't say that FW is perfect, but the problems that we face have more to do with individuals ideological differences than with the agency as a whole. If i don't agree with my boss, its not that he is wrong, he just uses a different flashlight to see the problem. Admin and line officers normally never see the same problem, its a "built-in" requirement of the job.

For an example that is occurring at many agencies: The line officer wants to pursue a bad guy that refuses to stop for a traffic violation "until the wheels fall off", but society has determined through case law that because someone has expired tags, we will not put the public at risk for a civil ticket. Does that mean we will not pursue anymore, no, but there has to be limitations to avoid losing the ability to pursue all together.
              Now, if you were to ask a line officer, you may get the "we cannot do police work anymore" or "they don't trust us" response. The reality is that if we weren't restricted, we would lose the chance to pursue completely. Those types of statements impacts morale. Are those true statements? Not really, but just like on facebook, many will read/hear the title and be ready to write an opinion. Police work is changing, as it has since i started in '82 as an Explorer Scout, and going full time in 92.

So, if you are talking to cops to get a good understanding about their agency, do not just ask one. Ask different people of different "years of service" before you come to a conclusion. All of the valley agencies are solid. They have good equipment, pay is comparable, benefits, and have outstanding personnel. Our city council supports us as well as the FW population in general.

My role is not to "sell you a job." My role is to give you the information about our agency and let you decide where you want to work. I will be brutally honest and tell you what I know and what I have experienced during my 23 years of working here. I don't want you to come here and be unhappy, because we both lose. I don't get anything special for recruiting, nor do i have a quota. My boss wants the best that I can find and is willing to to go short until the best are hired. Not all agencies will commit to that.

I hope that gave some insight. You can always call me or PM me for clarification.
              Thumbs up

Comment

Talked to a Puyallup guy the other day on a warrant meet and be said they only had two openings, and they just took a lateral from Auburn PD and one from Federal Way PD. Doesn't anticipate anymore openings in the immediate future.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8722 users online. 417 members and 8305 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X