Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snohomish/Pierce County Areas

Good afternoon everyone,

I currently work in King County. The cost of living is killer here. 2B/1B condos with 900 SF are 600K plus 600 in monthly HOA dues, LOL.

I work in central Seattle and do not have a take home car. I hope to be able to make the commute (Not that bad on swings or graves). Marysville is 31 miles away and Puyallup is 40 miles away. I have a great commuter car that gets 40 MPG and who knows, maybe my wife will let me buy a bike for the added fuel economy. LMAO.

I am looking at Snohomish areas as well as Pierce County. In Snohomish County, I am looking mostly at the Lake Stevens and Marysville area. In Pierce County I am looking at Puyallup, Bonney Lake, Sumner, and Buckley areas. Buckley is a bit far but, I would do it for the right house. My wife works from home, so at least I don't have to worry about her commute.

I am new to the west side of the state so I am not that familiar with these different parts of town other than the housing is substantially less expensive that central Seattle and these two counties have much lower taxes than King County.

I do have a 3 year old, she will be starting school in a couple years. I would like to be in a family area with good schools.

My question for you all is...for those of you that are familiar with these areas, can you shed some light and give me your opinions on crime, schools etc...Lastly, working in central Seattle, I am right in the middle, so I figure it doesn't matter if I live North or South. Everyone will be going towards Seattle during rush hour and I will be going against it (As long as I don't get stuck on day shift). Is this an accurate assumption or do you guys think I will most definitely deal with less traffic living North or South of Seattle?

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate everyone replies.

Have a great night and stay safe.

I guess the confusing part is are you moving or planning on staying in Seattle? Personally, I would get the heck out of Seattle. You'll likely make less on the outskirts but it'll go further.

If it were up to me I'd go south. The cities you named are all good cities with lots of LEOs living in them. It's always funny driving through neighborhoods in Bonney Lake or Sumner in Pierce County yet all you see are vehicles from King County agencies. 20 years ago the big housing push was into the Maple Valley/Black Diamond area, for the past 10 years or so it's been in the Bonney Lake/Sumner areas. Realistically, now it's a lot of the folks who grew up in King County but can't afford to live there so they move south. As far as schools and crime, it's suburbia.

Comment

I live in Lake Stevens and it is a great community to raise a family in. Lots of parks and recreational activities. The school district is highly rated. Low crime rate. Lake Stevens is a growing community with a lot of businesses coming in. We will be getting a Costco in two years and hopefully, more businesses will follow. Traffic is a nightmare in the morning due to the trestle.

I'd also look at Marysville on 83rd north of Soper Hill. They are a part of Lake Stevens school district and not part of Marysville which is a huge plus. A huge benefit in this area is that you're not dependent on the trestle to get to I5. I drove through the area and it looks like a safe area.

FYI, traffic would be bad anywhere you choose from the cities you mentioned. But the traffic from Puyallup and Bonney Lake would be absolutely horrid. Just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by jyong23 View Post
        I live in Lake Stevens and it is a great community to raise a family in. Lots of parks and recreational activities. The school district is highly rated. Low crime rate. Lake Stevens is a growing community with a lot of businesses coming in. We will be getting a Costco in two years and hopefully, more businesses will follow. Traffic is a nightmare in the morning due to the trestle.

I'd also look at Marysville on 83rd north of Soper Hill. They are a part of Lake Stevens school district and not part of Marysville which is a huge plus. A huge benefit in this area is that you're not dependent on the trestle to get to I5. I drove through the area and it looks like a safe area.

FYI, traffic would be bad anywhere you choose from the cities you mentioned. But the traffic from Puyallup and Bonney Lake would be absolutely horrid. Just my two cents.
        Thank you for the reply. What is the trestle? Is that HWY 2 that runs west from lake Steven's taking you to I5?

If I were to be stuck on day shift, I would be leaving the house around 445AM. Is traffic bad that early? Getting off is a different story, lol. I'd be leaving Seattle around 430pm. I imagine the drive home would be hell. However, I plan to be on swings or nights.

Sounds like i may make some good money on my home in Lake Steven's if i buy now. Costco's dont generally build in areas that wont have a lot of growth. And once a Costco goes it, lots of businesses and developments follow.

Comment

Yes the trestle is Hwy 2 going east/West from I5 to Lake Stevens and vice versa. I work dayshift and as long as I leave by 5am, I'll get to work on time (MLT). It becomes a nightmare starting at 6am.

I fully expect property values to go up for the foreseeable future. It is the fastest growing city in Snohomish County. I highly recommend Lake Stevens to raise a family.

Comment

Cool. I have 12 houses to see with my realtor tomorrow. I think the majority of them are in Lake Stevens.

Comment

• jyong23
              jyong23 commented
              Editing a comment
              There is a new development called Larkspur by Harbour Homes in Lake Stevens. I personally think that is the best development in the area if you want a turn key ready home. Good luck to you on finding a home.

I believe that community is on the list my realtor sent me. We are looking at 12 properties tomorrow. Thanks for the good luck, I think I'll need it. Ha

Comment

UPDATE:

I bought a house up in the Lake Stevens/Marysville area. Pick up the keys tomorrow and move in on Tuesday.

Thanks for the input.

Stay safe,

Clint

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8505 users online. 215 members and 8290 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X