300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western WA/Seattle Area

Hey guys, hate to post such a general topic, but Im looking for some first-hand insight into the Western WA/Seattle Area departments. Im a 2yr officer out of state, and have begun the process with a couple local agencies near Seattle. Is there any general consensus from those of you that are in the area as to departments that I should avoid, or ones that I should certainly consider?

Being from so far out of state its tough for me to get a feel on the departments from anything other than their website. I was initially drawn to the Seattle area, and am planning on dropping an application with Seattle PD, but wanted to make sure I didnt sell myself short by skipping other agencies. Ive got my eye on Bellevue and Federal Way as well, since they both seem to be hiring as of now. Anyone have any insight for someone trying to get into the game in that area?

Call volume doesnt bother me, Im just looking to get into a stable department where I can go to work, and maintain a solid quality of life.

Thanks in advance.

I am with Federal Way, give me a call and I can answer any questions that you have. I will be in the office around 730. 253-835-6737
    I don't check to see if the glass is half full, I make sure its not dirty.

Comment

Basically all the agencies around are hiring and all have their ups and downs. I’d personally look into Kent and Tukwilia. I have friends in each department and have heard nothing but good about them both.

Comment

I reached out to you, C Tucker.

I hadnt looked into Tukwila, so I appreciate the insight!

Comment

225?! You wouldnt happen to be coming from Louisiana up here would you? I'm a recent transplant up here from the boot

Comment

• Moose225
            Moose225 commented
            Editing a comment
            I am! Ill shoot you a PM

Kent, Auburn and Renton are all good. Have friends in all and all are happy.

Comment

Bellevue is a solid department. Went to a workshop with them, they said they have a large budget so they can send you to any training's if you're struggling in a certain area. Good size, great people, good morale, and offer you 16k if you lateral to them.

Comment

Originally posted by BelieveTheHype View Post
              Bellevue is a solid department. Went to a workshop with them, they said they have a large budget so they can send you to any training's if you're struggling in a certain area. Good size, great people, good morale, and offer you 16k if you lateral to them.

I was certainly getting the vibe that they were a pretty squared away, and progressive department.

Currently I have applications in with Bellevue, Kent, and Renton... seems that they have all come with pretty great feedback. Anyone have any insight into cultural differences between the departments? Benefits wise they are all more or less equal it seems.

Comment

I came here originally from the Dallas, Texas area, spent a little time in eastern Washington and I just made the move to Seattle.

Every single department large and small is hiring and hiring a lot. Being a lateral is like gold to most of these agencies. If you have a decent background and can interview, you will stand a good chance of getting hired wherever you want.

Most of the departments in the Seattle metropolitan area pay well. Some a little better than others. The main differences I have noticed is with the benefits package. Some departments have amazing benefits that are really affordable and some departments are just the opposite. All departments here are on the same retirement plan (LEOFF 2) but some departments have awesome secondary retirements such as 457 plans and they match 100% up to the first 3-6%.

Unlike the south, I think every department up here is civil service and the have union contracts. The union contracts for the most part are public knowledge. They will either be posted on their website or if you call the recruiter, they will email it to you.

If you would be more specific in what you are looking for, I could definitely lead you in the right direction. Call volume is a big thing and types of calls you want to handle. I know you said you were only a cop for 2 years but if you love action and end up in a super quaint and affluent town, you might not get a paper call for 2 weeks. If you like being very pro active and not answering radio calls from the time you go in service to the time you check out, you may be unhappy at many of these agencies.

Pierce County is going to be a lot more affordable for the most part than King County.

Anyhoo, if you send me more specific info on what type of police work makes you happy, I'll be sure to send you my thoughts and recommendations.

Happy hunting.

Comment

I lateraled from the Southwest of the US to Seattle Police Department. Based on my experience I would absolutely say stay away from the Seattle Police Department! I work for a smaller city, with big city crime, in Pierce County (Fife Police Department). The department is awesome, city LOVES the police, more of the best equipment you could ever ask for and a pretty damn good contact through our guild (union). We have openings and are hiring.

Here is a link to our contract.

https://www.cityoffife.org/DocumentC...-2018-2023-PDF

Comment

Avoid Seattle like the plague. If you're still interested then watch the Komo news special Seattle is Dying.

If I were you I'd take a look at the agencies in SE King County. Kent, Renton, Auburn all pay well and you will always be busy. If you are looking for a slower pace then go further SE and take a look at Black Diamond or Enumclaw, they don't pay as well as the other agencies but you also won't be bouncing from a DV to a shooting to a DV. Cost of living is high in King County and is only getting higher. The problem with some of the "eastside" agencies (Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond) is you probably won't be able to afford living there on a cops salary. SE King County is more affordable, but still expensive compared to other parts of the state.

Comment

Originally posted by DCAggie View Post
                      I lateraled from the Southwest of the US to Seattle Police Department. Based on my experience I would absolutely say stay away from the Seattle Police Department! I work for a smaller city, with big city crime, in Pierce County (Fife Police Department). The department is awesome, city LOVES the police, more of the best equipment you could ever ask for and a pretty damn good contact through our guild (union). We have openings and are hiring.

Here is a link to our contract.

https://www.cityoffife.org/DocumentC...-2018-2023-PDF
                      I passed my oral board with Fife and am waiting to be contacted.
                      I am interested in Fife and hopefully I'll get a chance to begin the backgrounding process soon.
                      I know that it lists 2-3 current openings with FPD, is that accurate?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by wildlife97 View Post
                        Avoid Seattle like the plague. If you're still interested then watch the Komo news special Seattle is Dying.

If I were you I'd take a look at the agencies in SE King County. Kent, Renton, Auburn all pay well and you will always be busy. If you are looking for a slower pace then go further SE and take a look at Black Diamond or Enumclaw, they don't pay as well as the other agencies but you also won't be bouncing from a DV to a shooting to a DV. Cost of living is high in King County and is only getting higher. The problem with some of the "eastside" agencies (Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond) is you probably won't be able to afford living there on a cops salary. SE King County is more affordable, but still expensive compared to other parts of the state.
                        Its tough out there
                        Last edited by MichaelW1982; 04-30-2020, 11:25 AM.

Comment

• TedMosby
                          TedMosby commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hey! Does Seattle PD have take home cars? Why not lateral to KCSO? What about Renton makes it stand out? I’ve been hearing Kent and Renton are good Dept’s to work at but never got any details/perks as to exactly why.

• MichaelW1982
                          MichaelW1982 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          No, SPD doesn't have cars. I never had plans to stay here just to start here and move on. But I don't want to keep moving so making sure I pick the right one. Renton pays really well, take home Tahoes, and isn't in Seattle.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3985 users online. 248 members and 3737 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X