300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kennewick PD

Does anyone have any info on this department? Morale, equipment, OT opportunities etc.

I'd also be curious. I've been researching this department, as well as Benton County SO, quite a bit as I would love to move my family to Eastern WA (just need to convince the wife). Kennewick in particular is the only agency I've found that comes close to my current pay with relatively low cost of living, and the city itself seems like a good place to raise a family. I believe that their current contract is on their recruiting website if you haven't seen it yet.

My only hang-up right now is convincing myself to start the retirement clock all over when I'm nearly halfway there with my current agency.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuerza View Post
      I'd also be curious. I've been researching this department, as well as Benton County SO, quite a bit as I would love to move my family to Eastern WA (just need to convince the wife). Kennewick in particular is the only agency I've found that comes close to my current pay with relatively low cost of living, and the city itself seems like a good place to raise a family. I believe that their current contract is on their recruiting website if you haven't seen it yet.

My only hang-up right now is convincing myself to start the retirement clock all over when I'm nearly halfway there with my current agency.
      I'm a young college grad and the location, pay, salary progression, and benefits seem very attractive to me. I took the written already just waiting to get scheduled for the physical since I'm out of state. Is the Washington LEOFF 2 a good retirement plan? Most other agencies do 20 years at 50%, is the LEOFF 2 the same way?

Comment

Not sure. I’m in NY. From what I understand it’s similar but I haven’t looked recently. If I recall correctly there’s a pretty clear description of the benefits online. Just google it and it should come up.

Comment

Leoff 2 is a state retirement is 2% per year, using your highest 5 as an average. You can retire without penalty at 53. All of the City and county agencies in WA fall under Leoff 2. State Patrol has their own.
          I don't check to see if the glass is half full, I make sure its not dirty.

Comment

I worked for the Benton County Sheriff's Office until earlier this year. Kennewick is a very good agency, so is Richland and so is the County. PM with any questions and i'll answer to the best of my availability.

Comment

Originally posted by MCSO-3420 View Post
              I worked for the Benton County Sheriff's Office until earlier this year. Kennewick is a very good agency, so is Richland and so is the County. PM with any questions and i'll answer to the best of my availability.
              This is great to hear. Overall which department, including the sheriff's offices, in the Tri-Cities area would you recommend?

Comment

It would depend on what's most important to you. I would definitely stick with either BCSO, Richland or Kennewick.

BCSO will make the least (approx 85K for topped out deputy) and they have very, very limited OT opportunities. Some people like that. If you hate OT, BCSO will be great because you would very rarely have to work it. BCSO does have take home cars where the other 2 agencies do not. You can even take your car home while living outside the county. Living outside the county is way cheaper. BCSO has a medium call volume. Overall, you are not normally bogged down with calls and you have a lot of time to be pro active. BCSO covers nearly 2K square miles. The medical insurance is less than 80.00 per month whether your single or married with 10 kids.

Obviously, I dont know as much about the other 2 departments but I can give you a brief synopsis.

Richland pays just a little bit more than BCSO in regards to base pay but they offer alot of other pays and they have a good bit of OT available for those who want it. Richland is busier than BCSO but not as busy as KPD. Richland has a phenomenal secondary retirement option. This is a huge perk.

KPD is definitely the busiest dept. They run call to call most of the time. It does slow down after 1 or 2am but that's about it. KPD makes 100K at their top step and i believe has plenty of OT as well.

I hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by MCSO-3420 View Post
                  It would depend on what's most important to you. I would definitely stick with either BCSO, Richland or Kennewick.

BCSO will make the least (approx 85K for topped out deputy) and they have very, very limited OT opportunities. Some people like that. If you hate OT, BCSO will be great because you would very rarely have to work it. BCSO does have take home cars where the other 2 agencies do not. You can even take your car home while living outside the county. Living outside the county is way cheaper. BCSO has a medium call volume. Overall, you are not normally bogged down with calls and you have a lot of time to be pro active. BCSO covers nearly 2K square miles. The medical insurance is less than 80.00 per month whether your single or married with 10 kids.

Obviously, I dont know as much about the other 2 departments but I can give you a brief synopsis.

Richland pays just a little bit more than BCSO in regards to base pay but they offer alot of other pays and they have a good bit of OT available for those who want it. Richland is busier than BCSO but not as busy as KPD. Richland has a phenomenal secondary retirement option. This is a huge perk.

KPD is definitely the busiest dept. They run call to call most of the time. It does slow down after 1 or 2am but that's about it. KPD makes 100K at their top step and i believe has plenty of OT as well.

I hope this helps.
                  I see, do you have more info or a link to Richland's secondary retirement option? I'm mostly leaning Kennewick but like you said I'm mostly driven by their salary and OT and the corresponding cost of living, but if Richland does have a superior retirement other than the state retirement that it would be interesting to compare the two.

Comment

Richland retirement is a deferred comp and I believe they match you dollar for dollar up to 5 or 6 % of your pay. It's really fantastic. If you Google Richland PD benefits, I'm sure it would come up.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3322 users online. 179 members and 3143 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X